My take on mousekeeping offer

One of the nice parts of a family vacation for me is that mommy gets to let someone else do the cooking and housework and I get a break. I like coming back to a nice clean room as does my family. We will not opt out.

I was at AoA last week and we had 2 rooms that we were able to get connecting. We checked in together and both took the offer. Funny thing is my friend's room still got daily housekeeping, ours did not! There were 2 of us in each room and there were some extra towels when we checked in. We were there 5 nights, we picked up some extras from the housekeeping cart towards the end of the 5 nights. There were extra bags in the trash can, we emptied it every couple days using a trash can by the ice machine.

They didn't clean your floor in two weeks. :( I would have lost my lid. I am a clean freak. That is utter nonsense. I am not paying to stay at a rat trap Bates Motel. The non cleaning is going to start drawing rodents and insects. I am totally skeeved out. Like, should I pack a flippin' broom, mop and pine-sol? Do I need to bring my own bathroom cleansers? For Pete's sake I thought we were on vacation....

Based on my experience I would recommend monitoring the room and going to the front desk to report any room cleanliness problems. I would not bother calling (Calls go to a call center and tend to be ineffective in solving problems in a timely manner) and there is a strong possibility that your housekeeper will not have the means to clean your floor in a way that is effective. I'd speak directly with a manager about your concerns. Hopefully you will get one that actually cares and has the ability to help you.

I'm thinking that with the shortage of housekeepers, corners are being cut with the daily cleanings so that more rooms can be serviced by fewer workers.

~NM

They didn't clean your floor in two weeks. :( I would have lost my lid. I am a clean freak. That is utter nonsense. I am not paying to stay at a rat trap Bates Motel. The non cleaning is going to start drawing rodents and insects. I am totally skeeved out. Like, should I pack a flippin' broom, mop and pine-sol? Do I need to bring my own bathroom cleansers? For Pete's sake I thought we were on vacation....

I just got back from Pop yesterday and we opted out of Mousekeeping and I noticed how disgusting the floors got after a few days of not being cleaned, especially around the bathroom area! I have very long hair and there were strands of hair everywhere, I was horrified. I had to wet a washcloth to clean the floor and hope that my hair stuck to it like a makeshift Swiffer lol.

I know it was my decision to opt out of Mousekeeping, but I'll never do it again. I hated making the beds, I hated not having new towels everyday, I hated the trash cans not being emptied. I especially hated the floors being dirty. It's not something you notice much in a room with a carpet but in Pop with no carpets, it's very it's very obvious. I even joked to my husband that I wanted to go to Target to buy a Swiffer lol. It was an interesting experiment but no, I'll gladly go without a gift card to have daily Mousekeeping from now on.

I just got back from Pop yesterday and we opted out of Mousekeeping and I noticed how disgusting the floors got after a few days of not being cleaned, especially around the bathroom area! I have very long hair and there were strands of hair everywhere, I was horrified. I had to wet a washcloth to clean the floor and hope that my hair stuck to it like a makeshift Swiffer lol.

I know it was my decision to opt out of Mousekeeping, but I'll never do it again. I hated making the beds, I hated not having new towels everyday, I hated the trash cans not being emptied. I especially hated the floors being dirty. It's not something you notice much in a room with a carpet but in Pop with no carpets, it's very it's very obvious. I even joked to my husband that I wanted to go to Target to buy a Swiffer lol. It was an interesting experiment but no, I'll gladly go without a gift card to have daily Mousekeeping from now on.

We are probably going to skip housekeeping for our two weeks at Pop. I wasn’t initially going to but decided after hearing reports of rooms being skipped anyway and dirty floors anyway that I might as well take the money. I will bring my swifter and wet and dry pads because I know I won’t be able to handle dirty floors and a quick swipe will make me happy. I already bring Clorox type wipes for trips anyway so we will have those. I plan to ask for lots of towels and extra sheets at the beginning. I hope they leave extra trash bags because I will pull trash and put it in big cans daily when we leave the room. I have two linked contiguous stays (hopefully in same room). They may not credit us for two nights because of this so I will definitely request they clean our room the day of “checkout” from our first stay even if we keep same room if they don’t give us a credit for that day. We shall see what happens.

We are probably going to skip housekeeping for our two weeks at Pop. I wasn’t initially going to but decided after hearing reports of rooms being skipped anyway and dirty floors anyway that I might as well take the money. I will bring my swifter and wet and dry pads because I know I won’t be able to handle dirty floors and a quick swipe will make me happy. I already bring Clorox type wipes for trips anyway so we will have those. I plan to ask for lots of towels and extra sheets at the beginning. I hope they leave extra trash bags because I will pull trash and put it in big cans daily when we leave the room. I have two linked contiguous stays (hopefully in same room). They may not credit us for two nights because of this so I will definitely request they clean our room the day of “checkout” from our first stay even if we keep same room if they don’t give us a credit for that day. We shall see what happens.

I'd be prepared to buy a lot of swiffer pads because you will be trying to clean an accumulation of dirt. At one point I tried to use a pool towel to wet mop the floor and I had to give up because it got too dirty too quickly and I didn't want to ruin towels.

~NM

I'd be prepared to buy a lot of swiffer pads because you will be trying to clean an accumulation of dirt. At one point I tried to use a pool towel to wet mop the floor and I had to give up because it got too dirty too quickly and I didn't want to ruin towels.

~NM

Really sounds like they are not cleaning the floors effectively between guests. No excuse for this.

I’m guess I’m a weirdo, but I’m keeping the housekeeping. It was so nice coming back from a long day at the parks to a nice, clean room. :confused3

I agree! No way would I get rid of it. The rooms do get messy and need some cleaning day after day. I don't want to worry about a messy hotel room while st Disney!

We are going for two weeks and I was going to opt out of housekeeping because I had read somewhere on the disboards that you could request a cleaning of your room for a $15 fee. Has anyone heard of this?

We are going for two weeks and I was going to opt out of housekeeping because I had read somewhere on the disboards that you could request a cleaning of your room for a $15 fee. Has anyone heard of this?

I have not heard of that. Doesn't mean it's not accurate, but I haven't seen any mention of it here on the DIS.

I have not heard of that. Doesn't mean it's not accurate, but I haven't seen any mention of it here on the DIS.

Thanks for your reply. I searched for where I read it and found it (not on Dis) however it was old from August 2017 so even if it did exist, I am sure it is not like that anymore. Too bad, that would be the best scenario, if you opted out, and then found you needed a good clean, you could ask for it and they would just charge you (but it sure wouldn't help them with scheduling their staff!).

I highly doubt they will discontinue daily service at the resorts. I do see more and more hotels offering a very small compensation to not use maid service, to be more eco friendly.

I, however, enjoy daily (or twice daily depending on the resort) maid service. I love that I can pile dirty towels, and magically clean ones appear hung for me! My bed is made for me too. That is no way worth a measly $10 to not have that service! I know to many it is, but not to me.

Only time I don't use it is in our timeshare, often I tell them not to come on their given day, as I clean up daily when we have a condo.

~NM

I was afraid of this. Well anything we do will be more than they would I guess.

~NM
Oh dear lord! I would never stay in a room that was dirty. They would come deep clean it or move me to another room/resort. There is no excuse for this and it is so unsanitary. I’m also not willing to spend my valuable Disney vacation time cleaning a room.

I've been opting out of housekeeping at Starwood resorts for several years now. I don't mind it personally, as I'm a bachelor and at home I reuse towels for a few days, and probably vacuum twice a month (sorry mom!). I'd do the same at the Swan/Dolphin, and pocket the incentives. Even when opting out at Swan/Dolphin, during my last two stays there I came back to my room to find that they had still emptied the trash and left two fresh water bottles for me. One morning, we were actually in the room and housekeeping dropped off the water bottles and asked how we were doing on towels and soaps.

I've had pretty good experiences with Disney housekeeping too. So far I've been lucky with my rooms. Last time, the CM recognized me in the hallway as an occupant who had opted out (not even sure how she paid such good attention) and asked me if I wanted my trash cans emptied or some fresh towels. Hopefully I'll never have some of the bad experiences on here. I usually wouldn't even mention this, but housekeeping is one of those things I take for granted is usually done right... and it's the bad experiences that get talked about and stand out.

I declined the housekeeping 2 weeks ago. Got a $40 DC credit. (AoA, Little Mermaid section)

We were told to leave trash outside our door, and call for towels if needed. We usually just grabbed some from the maid carts.

They cleaned the room every day anyway. One day, midway thru trip, they called me because we had the room occupied tag on the door; asking when they could come work on the room. I told them that I declined the daily service..... ok she said. They still cleaned the room the next 2 nights. I felt bad because I did not leave a tip as I never expected them to do it. I left a bigger one when we checked out, hoping it was the same CM.

I have mixed feelings, I like the bed to get made up and fresh towels, but I am somewhat used to not getting that service because we are also DVC members.

I'm staying GF club level main building for 8 days. For what I'm paying I could be staying at a top notch hotel in NYC or Chicago and YES i want my room cleaned. Yes I know its my choice to stay there but Disney needs to get real for $700+ a night (and that's with an AP 31% discount) my room better be picked up at least 2 times a day!!!

I'm staying GF club level main building for 8 days. For what I'm paying I could be staying at a top notch hotel in NYC or Chicago and YES i want my room cleaned. Yes I know its my choice to stay there but Disney needs to get real for $700+ a night (and that's with an AP 31% discount) my room better be picked up at least 2 times a day!!!

Opting out of Housekeeping is not an option at the Deluxes, so you're good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter