My sewing machine just decided that is was done working... ARRRGGGH!!!! Suggestions on a new machine...

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
So I have a pretty basic machine... Singer... and it has lasted 10 years or more...

I enjoying sewing like a hobby... I don't sew daily... I'm more the when the mood strikes.... sometimes I will sew for days and days... then nothing for months sometimes.... until I find some project I want to tackle... or that my DD wants me to make for her or for my grandson...

So I want to upgrade... I want a heavy duty machine, I make things with layers, and use heavy fabrics from time to time...costumes for my grandson.. or for costumes for the family for MNSSHP... table runners, curtains, and some clothing nothing fancy... and right now I have been making masks..not selling them just making for friends and family and neighbors...

I'm want something that I don't need a PHD in sewing to use...

I don't want to break the bank...

Thanks in advance...

OP here...

I took everything apart last night that I could... I googled and you-tubed... and it is gone... I priced out what I thought was wrong... and WOW... It's pretty close to what the machine would cost... not counting trying to find someone to put it in for me... My friend who is a serious seamstress, said it would be around 300.00 bucks to fix it for parts and labor which she said was on the cheap end.....and if your machine is more than 5 years old finding metal parts will be super hard to find and costly, and plastic parts are a waste... she was just put what you would to fix it into another machine... you will be better off...

So I am looking around... I really could use some help...

I saw that Joann's was having sales on machines. I have no recommendations. If I had to repair or buy now I would talk to a sewing machine repairman. Repair shops might have reconditioned machines for sale, which could save you some money as well.

My Sears Kenmore is still going strong after over 40 years. I made sure to keep it oiled over the years.

I have a Singer 4423. It is a heavy duty model. I believe I purchased it for about $150. I wanted a solid machine with a good motor. I do a lot of sewing and only use the straight stitch and zigzag stitch 95%. All the fancy stitches are a complete waste because you never use them. It is a good machine and highly recommend it. Just remember with heavy duty fabrics having the correct needle size is 80% of the game.

You would likely have better luck on the second-hand circuit (thrift stores, Craig's List), because you don't need a new, fancy machine. Also, the older machines are built like iron and last forever. My mom used to use HER mom's old Singer! Obviously, it didn't have 300 fancy stitches or anything, just straight and zigzag, but for occasional sewing, you don't need fancy.

Now, I do have a newer (ha! 20 years old now!) machine. I had been getting by with a refurbished 50's-era pink one that was in rough shape. DH got tired of hearing me complain--while making a yellow "Belle" dress, all that rusching! So, he said he wanted to get me one for Christmas, but wanted me to pick it out (smart man!). I really just wanted a basic machine--no embroidery or gazillion stitches needed. We wandered in to Sears, as they were having a January sale on machines. Something like "all machines 20% off". We poke around, and I found a high-end, top-of-the-line machine that was marked down because the box was opened. Apparently, someone got it for Christmas, didn't want it, and returned it. Never took it out of the box! So, it was marked down because it was a return/open box, then they gave me the 20% on top of that, making the price less than a middle-of-the-road machine. Of course, this shopping style won't work for everyone, but there ARE bargains to be had.

My friends own professional grade Juki machines. And they’re happy with them. But they’re not cheap.

Isn't that funny - I had a Juki and I HATED it. It never worked right. Personally, I have 2 Elna machines, 1 Brother machine and 1 Brother embroidery machine. I love them all! When I am ready to get another machine, I am positive I will get one of those two brands.

No matter what machine you talk about, I am sure you will have people that love that machine and that hate that machine. (Just like cars!) So make sure you read all the reviews that you can.

I also recommend getting a machine that there is dealer somewhere near you that can service the machine when necessary. Good luck!

Isn't that funny - I had a Juki and I HATED it. It never worked right. Personally, I have 2 Elna machines, 1 Brother machine and 1 Brother embroidery machine. I love them all! When I am ready to get another machine, I am positive I will get one of those two brands.

No matter what machine you talk about, I am sure you will have people that love that machine and that hate that machine. (Just like cars!) So make sure you read all the reviews that you can.

I also recommend getting a machine that there is dealer somewhere near you that can service the machine when necessary. Good luck!

I love Brother printers. I replaced my last one with a multifunctional one since I needed to scan docs for taxes. It works great.

Check out craigslist and estatesales.net for sales in your area. Many estate sales have them at a low price if you can wait until the lockdown ends.

I would also suggest putting the word out that you’re looking for one. My current machine is a hand me down that is about 50 years old. All metal and runs like a champ. The person didn’t want any money, just wanted someone that could use it.

I would also suggest putting the word out that you’re looking for one. My current machine is a hand me down that is about 50 years old. All metal and runs like a champ. The person didn’t want any money, just wanted someone that could use it.

This. My MIL gave her old machine to DD16 a few years back. It's not a fancy machine, but good for a learner. DD can upgrade if she gets into sewing more in the future.

I have a lower level Janome that I got 8 years ago. Unfortunately, it is not one that you can service at home, so I have to take it in regularly to get it cleaned and oiled. I've only taken it in once or twice in the 8 years of ownership (supposed to take it in every year). I need to take it in once the quarantine is over.
It has worked really well for me, but I also don't sew on it every day. Like OP, I sew like crazy one or two times per year, then it just sits for months.

I bought one of mine, a Brother, at Costco in-store almost 17 years ago. I think it was on sale and ran around $135 then. It's held up well, and I've done no maintenance at all on it. oops

My previous machine was not working well either and I bought the Singer 4423 from amazon. I don’t sew a lot but do help with granddaughter dance costumes sometimes (usually modifications). I’m enjoying the new machine.

My mother got her previous Singer from my dad for their wedding. I don't know if he was hoping for homemade clothes or whatever. Lol. She did make me a lot of dresses and cute cute cute clothes when I was a kid as I was the only girl. Also made dresses for my Barbies. Haha. She doesn't sew as much anymore, but her Singer gave out about 2 years ago. Keep in mind they got married in 1973, so that thing was a trooper. Guess it doesn't help that my dad is an electrical engineer, so he fixed it when it needed fixing.

Long story short, mom got a new one from JoAnn's. She says it was about $150 on sale. From what I'm seeing on the JoAnn website, it looks an awful lot like the Singer Curvy 8763. She uses it for basic stuff now, I don't know if that helps. She's been making masks lately.

Mine crapped out on Monday night while making masks. It is a 30+ YO Kenmore that has 12 stitch choices, of which I think I have maybe used 2. Luckily a friend had her 30+ year old Janome which I was able to borrow to continue my mask making. I am now trying to find a sewing machine repair place open to see if mine is salvageable.

I have an inexpensive Brother machine from Costco. I love it and use it for general purpose sewing. They ship! They have a great return policy. Also, I have a nicer, pricier Janome which is a lovely machine that I use for quilting.

Don't ask my DW. Her sewing room is full of Baby Locks, with the newest a Solaris (top of the line Embroidery/Sewing). That's why we still drive 10+ year old cars!

I have a Babylock—even more expensive than the Janome. I like the bells and whistles on it, but overall I prefer the Janome. I won’t tell her if you don’t.

I would love an embroidery machine! But, I really can't justify one, I don't know that I'd actually use the embroidery features all that much. But it's definitely on my "when I hit Lotto" list!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter