My Scooterbug experience for a short trip rental

Selket

Been there - done that
I was a WDW at the CR for a short 4 day trip before the 4th of July and rented from Scooterbug rather than Gold since my trip was so short. The first ECV I got was awful - the seat was tilted back and I had to roll up a towel and put behind my back so I could sit upright (seat would not adjust). The worst part though was something was wrong with the little rear switch that one can toggle to free roll the ECV. Half the time the ECV thought it had been toggled to "free roll" and would just beep at me and not move. The other half of the time it thought the switch was in a fine position and would let me drive it like normal EXCEPT that it would also "free roll" when I stopped. So yes when stopped on any incline it would roll backwards or forwards and I couldn't stop it. I almost took out a person in one queue before I realize what was going on (didn't hit her thankfully). This thing should never have gone out to me - it was awful.

I called and they brought a new ECV me for me the next morning and it was waiting at bell services. I was super happy that they did what they said and I got a text confirming it was there at 6:30AM. This one worked well enough but I could not adjust the seat to be further back. I didn't have enough leg room and it was uncomfortable. I don't know how a taller person would be able to use it without their feet hanging off the front. It was painful bending my knees enough to get on and off of it. It was in meh shape and I really missed the cup holder and the basket on the front was small. Otherwise it worked fine.

I usually rent from Gold and it's now a real toss up for me what to do for these shorter trips since Gold only rents by the week. I hate to spend an entire day trying to deal with an ECV that won't move and getting it replaced and so on.

The free rolling issue is scary.

i had no idea Gold only rents by the week. Since we started needing one, our trips have been longer than one week.

i had no idea Gold only rents by the week. Since we started needing one, our trips have been longer than one week.

They do (or at least did, as of the last time I rented) have a "per day" price BEYOND 7 days. For example, last year I rented for 9 days. They charged me for the first week, then 2 additional days. I don't remember the "extra day" price, but it was quite reasonable). The following year I was coming to WDW for only 5 days, and I knew that if I rented with them, I'd be charged for a whole week. I rented with them anyways, since I had had such a good experience, I figured it was worth it (but my thrifty side says I still should have checked around).
Think I'll skip Scooterbug, though. The wasted time waiting for a replacement probably isn't worth it.

I took a trip a couple of months ago and brought my own personal scooter (Pride GoGo Sport) with the thought that I would have it to use at the airports, and then if it did not go the distance for the parks I could then call Golds or another company to rent one while I was there. It worked out fine with my personal scooter--although there were a couple of instances of "OMG! Am I gonna make it back to my hotel?" I avoid Scooterbug at all costs on both coasts. In addition to the issues the OP stated I cannot stand that godawful beeping sound when you are backing up. I actually had someone complain about it when I was in the LOBBY of the Disneyland Hotel!

I took a trip a couple of months ago and brought my own personal scooter (Pride GoGo Sport) with the thought that I would have it to use at the airports, and then if it did not go the distance for the parks I could then call Golds or another company to rent one while I was there. It worked out fine with my personal scooter--although there were a couple of instances of "OMG! Am I gonna make it back to my hotel?" I avoid Scooterbug at all costs on both coasts. In addition to the issues the OP stated I cannot stand that godawful beeping sound when you are backing up. I actually had someone complain about it when I was in the LOBBY of the Disneyland Hotel!
I agree about the beeping on the backup. It's SO distracting to me that I couldn't park the scooter on the bus and I'm always able to park my scooter on the bus. It's like someone yelling at me while I'm back up.

@maxiesmom Gold will charge you for a 7 day rental even if your trip is shorter. A 5 day trip comes close to other's 7 day price but mine was 4 days so about maybe $50 less from Scooterbug than Gold. Not sure if there is a good short trip rental option sadly.

I agree about the beeping on the backup. It's SO distracting to me that I couldn't park the scooter on the bus and I'm always able to park my scooter on the bus. It's like someone yelling at me while I'm back up.

@maxiesmom Gold will charge you for a 7 day rental even if your trip is shorter. A 5 day trip comes close to other's 7 day price but mine was 4 days so about maybe $50 less from Scooterbug than Gold. Not sure if there is a good short trip rental option sadly.

I don't mind paying a bit more for equipment I can be sure of. Plus the rate includes a fan, basket, a poncho and rain cover for the tiller.

I was a WDW at the CR for a short 4 day trip before the 4th of July and rented from Scooterbug rather than Gold since my trip was so short. The first ECV I got was awful - the seat was tilted back and I had to roll up a towel and put behind my back so I could sit upright (seat would not adjust). The worst part though was something was wrong with the little rear switch that one can toggle to free roll the ECV. Half the time the ECV thought it had been toggled to "free roll" and would just beep at me and not move. The other half of the time it thought the switch was in a fine position and would let me drive it like normal EXCEPT that it would also "free roll" when I stopped. So yes when stopped on any incline it would roll backwards or forwards and I couldn't stop it. I almost took out a person in one queue before I realize what was going on (didn't hit her thankfully). This thing should never have gone out to me - it was awful.

I called and they brought a new ECV me for me the next morning and it was waiting at bell services. I was super happy that they did what they said and I got a text confirming it was there at 6:30AM. This one worked well enough but I could not adjust the seat to be further back. I didn't have enough leg room and it was uncomfortable. I don't know how a taller person would be able to use it without their feet hanging off the front. It was painful bending my knees enough to get on and off of it. It was in meh shape and I really missed the cup holder and the basket on the front was small. Otherwise it worked fine.

I usually rent from Gold and it's now a real toss up for me what to do for these shorter trips since Gold only rents by the week. I hate to spend an entire day trying to deal with an ECV that won't move and getting it replaced and so on.
Honestly, Golds weekly price is similar to most places shorter rentals, especially once you add damage waiver, captains seat, cup holder, cell phone holder and if the other company offers it fan. Gold also has a limited number without all the added features that they will rent on a daily basis if they have enough drivers to do so.

Also follow Gold on Facebook, they will often have discount codes for their loyal customers.

Honestly, Golds weekly price is similar to most places shorter rentals, especially once you add damage waiver, captains seat, cup holder, cell phone holder and if the other company offers it fan. Gold also has a limited number without all the added features that they will rent on a daily basis if they have enough drivers to do so.

Also follow Gold on Facebook, they will often have discount codes for their loyal customers.
I can live without some of that (although it's nice) and I did include the damage waiver & coupon pricing in my pricing estimate - sadly - lol! I think for the extra $50 or so I saved it wasn't worth it. My next trip is 7 days so that's an easy choice.

My son is working as a Disney CM in the college program and I've planned several short trips (and one 7 day). If I need an ECV for 3 days....that's where it gets tough. Certainly the hassle made it not worth it more than anything else!

I don't mind paying a bit more for equipment I can be sure of. Plus the rate includes a fan, basket, a poncho and rain cover for the tiller.
Never use the fan. But love being able to use the USB port to charge my phone from the scooter!

Scooterbugs scooter is at hotel bell service. Go from bus to scooter , it’s helps you getting to your room. Some restores rooms are far away.

Scooterbugs scooter is at hotel bell service. Go from bus to scooter , it’s helps you getting to your room. Some restores rooms are far away.

For Disney resorts, you need to meet Gold Mobility Scooter folks as well as scooters from other companies while Scooterbug can be left for you at Bell Services. Saying that, I have used Gold Mobility many times and been very happy with their service. They can be very flexible with delivery of the scooter, typically outside the main lobby of whatever resort you are at staying at. They will text you typically a day in advance of delivery to check in and confirm times. Since I fly to Disney, there have be times where my flight has been delayed. Gold has always been accommodating as my arrival time changed (and changed and changed). For the Gold scooter, I appreciate the USB charging port standard that I use for my phone if needed.

Unrelated, regardless of the scooter, I bring a three pronged extension cord with me that I stick behind the seat along with the scooter charger in case I need an extra length to plug in. I also always bring a door wedge that I can use if I am by myself to hold open a door, particularly into my hotel room. I find putting it over the door hinges works well. This is what I use "Wedge It" at Amazon. there are many other brands you can get.

I'm sorry you had those inconveniences. I had similar experience back in 2022 and since then I had only been using Gold's b/c of the better scooter and customer service.

I'm going through Scooterbug again next month b/c I'm switching between WDW and USO properties and I didn't want the hassle of trying to find transportation that would take the ECV. I did that in DC and it was a big pain in the butt.

My friend has used scooterbug mulitple times and hasn't had any issues. We're going together on this trips so I hope her good luck rubs off on me LOL.

My past 2 recent trips (May & earlier this month) I used scooterbug for the simple reason that they drop off and pick up without my having to be there. Both times the scooter was in very good condition looks wise so no complaints there. Both times my scooters' speed ranged from extremely slow to slow. The super loud beep during reverse was ridiculously overdone.

SCOOTERBUG: Great for inexperienced users as it does not go very fast ever. (at least in my experiences). Seats are very high backed but comfortable enough. You don't have to be there to get it or leave it. Many of the machine's tires are very worn out. The basket is sufficient but not as big as I'd like.

(note on experience: I've been using an ECV for many years at WDW and have a personal portable smaller one <vive> I use to go to from airports, museums, leisure trips w grandkids, so I'm used to adjusting speed, parking, boarding and unboarding - which is probably why a super slow machine is frustrating to me :moped:

GOLD: Scooters have been top of the line with only minor scrapes and scratches. Extremely comfortable with accessories that are great. They go much faster on rabbit and much slower on turtle. You can arrange the pick up/drop off time and text back and forth if needed. Scooters come with a small fan and I usually get a phone holder also.

Going forward I will work the pick up drop off into my plans (especially because I'll be going more than I'd originally anticipated after getting an annual pass).

I'm sorry you had those inconveniences. I had similar experience back in 2022 and since then I had only been using Gold's b/c of the better scooter and customer service.

I'm going through Scooterbug again next month b/c I'm switching between WDW and USO properties and I didn't want the hassle of trying to find transportation that would take the ECV. I did that in DC and it was a big pain in the butt.

My friend has used scooterbug mulitple times and hasn't had any issues. We're going together on this trips so I hope her good luck rubs off on me LOL.
In Orlando, it is easy, there are shuttles and Taxis that are able to handle even up to Pride Maxima sized scooters. Just a heads up for future reference.

In Orlando, it is easy, there are shuttles and Taxis that are able to handle even up to Pride Maxima sized scooters. Just a heads up for future reference.
If I were traveling alone, I would have looked into those more but the extra cost/time isn't worth it to me for this trip.

Any company recommendations?

I think if I had gotten the replacement scooter first - the one that worked ok - I would have been fine with it. Wasn't a great ECV but it got the job done and the battery life was fine. That I could not adjust the seat to slide further back was a problem on that one as it was a literal pain to get in and out of trying to bend my knees.

My past 2 recent trips (May & earlier this month) I used scooterbug for the simple reason that they drop off and pick up without my having to be there. Both times the scooter was in very good condition looks wise so no complaints there. Both times my scooters' speed ranged from extremely slow to slow. The super loud beep during reverse was ridiculously overdone.

SCOOTERBUG: Great for inexperienced users as it does not go very fast ever. (at least in my experiences). Seats are very high backed but comfortable enough. You don't have to be there to get it or leave it. Many of the machine's tires are very worn out. The basket is sufficient but not as big as I'd like.
My replacement ECV had a mind of its own on speed and would sometimes go a moderately quick pace but other times it just lagged...didn't have anything to do with the charging. The back up noise was so horrible - that alone is enough to keep me away from this company. I will send WDW an email with my complaints about Scooterbug and hope they will work to improve their service or that WDW finds a better vendor.

Just want to throw out that if you stay at the Swan or Dolphin any scooter company can still drop off without you having to be there to meet them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter