My review of the Villas at Grand Floridian

WildernessMickey

Mouseketeer
I just returned from staying in a one bedroom villa at the new DVC Grand Floridian Villas. We arrived at 9:00 am and were greeted at the parking lot by an attendant. The Port Cochere was closed in preparation for the opening ceremonies that started at 10:00 am, so the attendant brought a luggage cart out to our car and walked us in to check in. You can check in at the main hotel or at the villas. At the villas they have three desks and you can sit in comfy chairs while they prepare your magic bands and go over the details. Lots of top brass folks were there greeting everyone and seemed thrilled to be open. It was a great check in experience.

The rooms were ready so we went straight up to ours on the 5th floor, room 1508 Lake View. The lobby is small but beautiful, and there are three elevators to take you upstairs. There is a separate service elevator so you never have to compete with the bell hop taking luggage racks up and down. The theme is Mary Poppins, and we loved the penguin fountain in the center of the lobby. I loved all the decor and colors so whoever designed it gets a big two thumbs up from me. Even the hallways were gorgeous with blue carpet with colorful medallions scattered around, and striped wall paper with sections painted a silvery blue. Very soothing. The chandeliers in the atrium were beautiful.

Our room was SPECTACULAR! We were really wowed over and over. You've seen the pictures everyone else has posted by now, and the villa looks even better than the pictures. We were very impressed. The shower is huge, and the bath tub with bubbles was relaxing. We didn't cook but the kitchen seems bigger and more usable than the others. The banquette seating area is large since it curves around so you can fit more people around the table.

We had a great view of the lake, the Poly, the Contemporary, and the ferries going back and forth to the MK. In the morning you can see the sunrise. The balcony is long but only has two chairs and one small table. We used the laundry machine and it worked fine. The tub has small holes in the base that the air runs through to create bubbles. The tub even runs a cycle after you use it to clear out the water from the small holes, so I don't think it will be a problem with any gunk building up. Smart feature. The bed has a blanket between sheets and a bed scarf at the foot, and I liked this better than a comforter. I find the comforters get too hot, so this was perfect.

You can walk to the main building via a covered walkway (just a bit longer than the one at the Wilderness Lodge Villas) or around the back past the pool. We loved the pool and the slide. We also ate lunch there and really liked the food (citrus chicken salad sandwich and water cress tomato salad). The kids water play area was awesome with the Alice in Wonderland theme.

The only strange thing is we did hear a noise that was like whistling wind. It sounded like a ghost, and we think it was coming from the bathroom vent. It didn't make the noise all the time, and it didn't cause us any problems, but it did sound like a ghost once in a while, so when we heard it we would joke about our DVC ghost being at it again.

We ate at Gasparilla Grill (try the Gatsby burger) and the Cafe (yummy Vanilla Laced French Toast) and both were excellent. Everything at the villas and at the main hotel was spotless. The cast members were wonderful. I am so impressed. I wish this was my home resort now. The point values are higher at this resort, but we will return. :cheer2:

It sounds wonderful and the lobby does look gorgeous. I especially love the Mary Poppins Penguin fountain. I hope I venture over there some time to see in person. Thanks for the review :)

Sounds BEAUTIFUL! Contemplate going December, 2014.

I wasn't aware that VGF is sharing the pool facilities with the hotel.
Personally I am surprised and wondering if DVC members will be competing for chairs in very busy season? Is anyone checking ID's? Quite frankly I hope so to avoid non DVC and hotel guests from having issues wth chairs at the pool and facing an overcrowded situation! I personally love the way the Beach Club Pool is closed off and you must have ID to use the pool!

I personally think all the Disney pools, both resort and DVC should be secured to prevent people who are not staying on property from using the facilities and taking chairs! :mad::mad:
A friend loves staying at the Polynesian, but she has said that the pool is Way Too Crowded!!!

Any insight as to whether ids are being checked at the Grand Floridian would be appreciated! Thank you!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Sounds BEAUTIFUL! Contemplate going December, 2014.

I wasn't aware that VGF is sharing the pool facilities with the hotel.
Personally I am surprised and wondering if DVC members will be competing for chairs in very busy season? Is anyone checking ID's? Quite frankly I hope so to avoid non DVC and hotel guests from having issues wth chairs at the pool and facing an overcrowded situation! I personally love the way the Beach Club Pool is closed off and you must have ID to use the pool!

I personally think all the Disney pools, both resort and DVC should be secured to prevent people who are not staying on property from using the facilities and taking chairs! :mad::mad:
A friend loves staying at the Polynesian, but she has said that the pool is Way Too Crowded!!!

Any insight as to whether ids are being checked at the Grand Floridian would be appreciated! Thank you!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

The pool that is next to the Villas was very quiet whenever we were there - probably under utilized by the hotel guests. And SAB is actually the hotel pool at BC/YC - certainly not a DVC pool. :confused3 Personally I don't think it's too much of a concern.

With Disney fencing all the feature pools they'll be able to control as much as they want. Most pools at Disney deluxe resorts have always been undersized though IMO.

I just put in a wait list for VGF for our April stay after reading your post to my DH. We thought we would be happy to wait until December 2014 for our first stay there.:) we have the points to book that, but hopefully we will be lucky with the wait list.

I'm posting from a one bedroom villa right now. The whistling noise coming from the washroom appears to be the tub. We gave our son a bath and turned the jets one for him. I turned off the jets, emptied the tub and about 30 minutes later I heard the wind blowing only to find the jets were blowing out air. At first I thought I left the jets on, but then realized it seems to be the system clearing out the water from the hoses. At least, that is my best guess. I have 4 days here to figure it out!

I'm posting from a one bedroom villa right now. The whistling noise coming from the washroom appears to be the tub. We gave our son a bath and turned the jets one for him. I turned off the jets, emptied the tub and about 30 minutes later I heard the wind blowing only to find the jets were blowing out air. At first I thought I left the jets on, but then realized it seems to be the system clearing out the water from the hoses. At least, that is my best guess. I have 4 days here to figure it out!

I have a tub like this at home. If the bubbles are run it will clear itself out afterwards. It runs for maybe a minute after. Mine doesn't sound like a ghost, but it is 6 years old now, so maybe they have gotten quieter since then :). I love the self cleaning feature. There is never gunk in the tub. Yay!

WildernessMickey,
Thank you! This is a wonderful review! I love the Grand! I'm staying in a one bedroom standard view. I can't decide if I should request the front of the building or the courtyard where the covered walkway is. I'll be there for a week in Dec and a week in Jan.

Regarding the pool, they did not check for room keys or magic bands when we were there. It was also not very crowded, and there seemed to be plenty of seating. I haven't stayed there before when it was just the hotel portion, so I can't tell if they have increased the number of chairs, but it seems more than adequate. The larger courtyard pool where the hot tub is also had plenty of chairs available. Hopefully overcrowding won't ever become a problem. We did walk over to the Poly to get a dole whip and the pool there seemed more crowded.

Regarding the ghost noise, it was definitely not the tub. The tub does cycle through air to clean out the jets after you drain it and we noticed that. The wind whistling ghostly noise seemed to come from the vent in the bathroom where the shower and toilet are, and was a much softer noise. It wasn't a big deal, just something we noticed.

I really can't wait to go back. The design team from start to finish really did a fantastic job. There are so many details that I didn't even mention, such as there are two recessed reading lights over the master bed, and the light switch has 5 buttons - four different light levels, and then one off button. And you can reach them and the fan switch from the bed without getting up. The master bedroom closet is a large walk in closet with two robes and plenty of space for suitcases, etc. In the kitchen there are two pull out trash cans, one for trash and one for recycling. Crown molding everywhere. The list goes on.

I have always wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian and never thought I could afford it. But now I can! And it was even more wonderful than I thought it would be. Thanks DVC.

I attended the Member preview earlier this month. Somehow even after seeing how beautiful the villas are I was able to fight off the urge to purchase. After reading your wonderful review I may have to give into the temptation.

We ate at Gasparilla Grill (try the Gatsby burger) and the Cafe (yummy Vanilla Laced French Toast) and both were excellent. Everything at the villas and at the main hotel was spotless. The cast members were wonderful. I am so impressed. I wish this was my home resort now. The point values are higher at this resort, but we will return. :cheer2:

Thank you for your review. :thumbsup2

Just wanted to add for anyone over there soon. The GG has an excellent shrimp stir fry. In fact, I think I had it about four times on my last vacation. :goodvibes

WildernessMickey
Thanks for all the info in the review. Sounds like you had a nice time. I can't wait to stay here in March!!

We may be staying there next fall. How far is the walk from the villas to the monorail?

Thanks!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter