My Review of Best Friends Pet Care at WDW

WOW assuming someone would kick your dog...why is that what you would do?

one stated they thought their dog had been kicked; because, there was a tender spot that hurt on the dog. I do not want to go near a place if this has any chance of happening to my dog.

Thanks for posting your review. Sorry to hear about your dogs stay. We boarded our dog in August in a villa. She had an okay stay but I agree with much of your review. They really need to take those shrubs out of the dogpark! It's very dangerous and my dog wanted to run through those bushes. Yikes on the water moccasin too!!:scared1: our dog seemed very sad when we visited but I figured that was because she is used to be with us all the time. We visited her often throughout the week. I hope Disney opens some dog friendly rooms.

To the OP,

Please sent a letter to Disney itself and Best Friends regarding your experience. They should know how your doggie was treated.

We just got a black lab puppy last week. I had been reading review of the new kennel at Disney & I haven't liked much I have seen. My friend also brought her Jamaican pot belly (?) to the kennel in August & she was not happy with the stay at all. Looks like we will have to find a kennel close to home next time we go to WDW.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Thanks for posting your review. Sorry to hear about your dogs stay. We boarded our dog in August in a villa. She had an okay stay but I agree with much of your review. They really need to take those shrubs out of the dogpark! It's very dangerous and my dog wanted to run through those bushes. Yikes on the water moccasin too!!:scared1: our dog seemed very sad when we visited but I figured that was because she is used to be with us all the time. We visited her often throughout the week. I hope Disney opens some dog friendly rooms.

I'm glad your dog had a decent stay.
My dog (normally very social) was also very sad and unlike himself. He paced around the dog park each time we brought him out there and would lie down and not want to play.

Like others have mentioned, I think the report cards are somewhat fabricated. Particularly when it comes to eating habits and walks.

My dog did not eat well at all while there. I asked the employees every day how he ate and they always looked at a chart and said "his dish was clean" or "he only left a few kibbles in his dish". I left a 5 lb. bag of food for him and had another bag in the car ready for the middle/end of the week. My dog ate less than 1 lb. in a week. Normally he would go through the entire bag and then some. The bag of food weighed over 4 pounds when they returned it to me at checkout. He ate less in a full week than he would eat in one day at home! They never once mentioned that he wasn't eating. Even when I specifically asked! After the first few days, when they didn't ask for more food, I realized he must not be eating like they say he is and I started giving him lots of biscuits outside.

I can't blame them for my dog's eating habits, and I don't expect them to know offhand about every dog (using a chart or computer is fine). However, the amount he eats is information I think they should be honest and accurate about. That way owners can bring in human food or supplement with treats/wet food so their dog doesn't starve all week.

If the kennel is this disorganized and inattentive during slow season, I would hate to see it during peak or regular season.

Please write a letter to WDW and share your experience. Dogs should get better care!

We're lucky to live near a good kennel and that's where our dog stays when we travel. Our vet uses the same kennel for his pets, and we trust them. Disney should provide good pet care.

I wrote about my experience in the WDW post-trip survey. Is there another email address or postal mail address I should write to?

Thanks!!

I think I would also cut and paste your post into a letter for the kennel and send it to their corporate office.

CORPORATE OFFICES:
Best Friends Pet Care, Inc.
520 Main Avenue Norwalk, CT 06851
Phone: (203) 846-3360
Fax: (203) 849-1092

Thanks for the honest review :) I had read that the smaller 'rooms' were in fact wire crates so I never even considered one of those...and I also read about the indoor/outdoor ones only being open during certain times during the day, kind of defeats letting your dogs go in and out at will....so that room was something we wouldn't have paid for either.

I always wanted my dogs closer to me when on vacation but gosh the kennel we leave them at is so clean and she leaves their doggy door open during the day so they can go out, each room has it's very own covered outdoor area as well, with cinderblock separations so they don't get scared by other dogs. I KNOW I'd be disappointed in Disney Kennels after reading your review.

Hi, everyone. Been following these posts, and I'd like to put in a word, too. :goodvibes

I just have to say that the person who wrote the review seems really negative, and my personal experience -- and the experience of lots of other people -- was really different. There’s a great thread here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2552159 that’s been going for about a year. Check it out. Lots of really good info and reviews from many different people -- not just one voice.
:thumbsup2

Disney's Best Friends Pet Care needs to remember that these really are some people's best friends.

DW and I refer to ours as our Furry Four Legged Kids with Speech Impediments (problems with "w"'s). We're lucky to live close to an excellent doggy day-care/boarding facility, the only problem is planning our vacations far enough out to be able to get in there due to its popularity.

WOW assuming someone would kick your dog...why is that what you would do?

At a kennel i've worked at an employee senior to me kicked my dog (who was there for daycare while i was working and she has severe hip dysplasia). Her reason as to why she kicked her was to keep her from running out of the play area fence. So its not like it doesn't happen. Especially since some kennels don't hire people who care about animals.

Hi, everyone. Been following these posts, and I'd like to put in a word, too. :goodvibes

I just have to say that the person who wrote the review seems really negative, and my personal experience -- and the experience of lots of other people -- was really different. There’s a great thread here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2552159 that’s been going for about a year. Check it out. Lots of really good info and reviews from many different people -- not just one voice.

Thanks for posting this. It is good to get another perspective.

I can't believe how expensive it is, though. Our vet is only $25/night for our 55 lb. dog and he receives great care.

Maybe other people did have better experiences, but I disagree that the OP "seems really negative" with the original post. Seeing a water moccasin, the lack of a caring touch, etc. don't come across as "seeming negative", IMO. Those are objective things the OP experienced. In all the times I've left a pet with a kennel, I have not once seen a water moccasin, which is a highly venomous snake. I appreciate the perspective of positive posters, but also the ones who have genuinely negative (scary) things to say about it. Water moccasins, the lack of access to the outside areas, etc. are all items that are valuable information to me. I would at least check to see that these items have all been remedied before I ever left my pet there. I think the OP did a large service posting the honest review, warts and all. It is needed.

Maybe other people did have better experiences, but I disagree that the OP "seems really negative" with the original post. Seeing a water moccasin, the lack of a caring touch, etc. don't come across as "seeming negative", IMO. Those are objective things the OP experienced. In all the times I've left a pet with a kennel, I have not once seen a water moccasin, which is a highly venomous snake. I appreciate the perspective of positive posters, but also the ones who have genuinely negative (scary) things to say about it. Water moccasins, the lack of access to the outside areas, etc. are all items that are valuable information to me. I would at least check to see that these items have all been remedied before I ever left my pet there. I think the OP did a large service posting the honest review, warts and all. It is needed.
I Agree :thumbsup2

I'm glad your dog had a decent stay.
My dog (normally very social) was also very sad and unlike himself. He paced around the dog park each time we brought him out there and would lie down and not want to play.

Like others have mentioned, I think the report cards are somewhat fabricated. Particularly when it comes to eating habits and walks.
My dog did not eat well at all while there. I asked the employees every day
how he ate and they always looked at a chart and said "his dish was clean" or
"he only left a few kibbles in his dish". I left a 5 lb. bag of food for him and had another bag in the car ready for the middle/end of the week. My dog ate less than 1 lb. in a week. Normally he would go through the entire bag and then some. The bag of food weighed over 4 pounds when they returned it to
me at checkout. He ate less in a full week than he would eat in one day at
home! They never once mentioned that he wasn't eating. Even when I
specifically asked! After the first few days, when they didn't ask for more food, I realized he must not be eating like they say he is and I started giving him
lots of biscuits outside.

I can't blame them for my dog's eating habits, and I don't expect them to know offhand about every dog (using a chart or computer is fine). However, the amount he eats is information I think they should be honest and accurate about. That way owners can bring in human food or supplement with
treats/wet food so their dog doesn't starve all week.
If the kennel is this disorganized and inattentive during slow season, I would hate to see it during peak or regular season.

Your poor dog! You can certainly tell when they are miserable. I agree on the report cards too. Definitely fabricated a bit. Luckily my dog did eat all her food! I brought extra and she ran out, she did also gain a little weight during her stay :laughing: but she didn't get the same exercise she does at home. Looks like I will be renting a house for our next trip or having a pet sitter come to my house.

Well, it’s not like someone from Best Friends actually PUT the snake there! Was she sure it was a water moccasin? Maybe it was Kaa! ;)
Seriously, though, this is Florida! The best place on earth is built on wetlands, so there are snakes and other critters all over the place (oh my!). :rolleyes: I’ve actually seen them at Fort Wilderness :scared1: (and Animal Kingdom, of course!). :laughing: And if there are critters around, I’m sure my little guys would run away faster than their mom! :lmao: I’m just thankful I haven’t seen any alligators … at least, not so far.

:goodvibes

"For with each dawn, she found new hope that someday, her dreams of happiness would come true." :lovestruc
-Cinderella

Well, it’s not like someone from Best Friends actually PUT the snake there! Was she sure it was a water moccasin? Maybe it was Kaa! ;)
Seriously, though, this is Florida! The best place on earth is built on wetlands, so there are snakes and other critters all over the place (oh my!). :rolleyes: I’ve actually seen them at Fort Wilderness :scared1: (and Animal Kingdom, of course!). :laughing: And if there are critters around, I’m sure my little guys would run away faster than their mom! :lmao: I’m just thankful I haven’t seen any alligators … at least, not so far.

"For with each dawn, she found new hope that someday, her dreams of happiness would come true." :lovestruc
-Cinderella

I'm positive it was a water moccasin having studied reptiles in great depth for many years. I am also aware that that water moccasins are native to Florida which is why steps should be taken to keep pets safe. My dog, like most dogs, cannot identify a water moccasin when he sees one. :rotfl2:

In my opinion, the staff should have at least gone out immediately to remove it. If there had been a venomous snake in one of the baby care stations or kiddie pools, I'm sure cast members would have taken action.

I agree with you that my post is somewhat negative. The reason being because there were very few positive aspects of my dog's stay. I noted in my first message two positive aspects:

The outdoor facilities were clean from poop and did not smell.

One employee was kind and pleasant to both humans and pets.

I'm sure some people have had a great experience with this kennel. I wish I had a good experience for my dog's sake. I read many positive reviews prior to my arrival (some of which came from the link you posted). The positive reviews are why I chose Best Friends Pet Care in the first place. However, seeing as the kennel significantly hesitates to show the standard suites to guests and allows no photography of the standard suite area, I think a lot of people are unaware of their dog's accommodations. I spent a lot of time at the kennel over the course of my 7 day trip (2-3 hours per day and sometimes even longer). With the exception of the water moccasin incident, the other situations I described were not one time events or specific to one employee. If they had been, I would have been more understanding.

-Cinderella

Why is it that you are so insistent on making it seem the OP was expecting too much? I can't help but wonder if you have a friend who works at the kennels, or a family member, for you to be so quick to jump to the kennel's defense.

As another poster pointed out, it is helpful to hear the good and the bad. Maybe it isn't the same experience you have had, but it is the OP's experience. There is no need to be so dismissive of it. If you have had a good experience why not start your own thread about it?

i still like this place

http://basspetmotel.rtrk.com/?scid=1383347&kw=34266:11422&pub_cr_id=13384155799

it has bigger than average cages and it is run by people who care.

now have never left mind with best friends. did leave them with disney kennels - when disney was running it. basically no real complaints - small cages yes - but the CM were outstanding and very loving to the animals.

Spicey loved it - until he got old. then it was necessary for him to be with me so stayed offsite at CWR until he died.

have yet to see anything that Disney has 'outsourced' that works better than Disney did.

really wish they would stop this outsourcing before they run us Disney freaks to just use the parks - not the outside stuff that kepts the money coming into Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter