My Own Special Cleaning

I definitely do a little bit of cleaning in our room but it doesn't take much time at all. I echo what some of the earlier posters have said in that given that our trips to Disney are limited (unfortunately), to spend all of that money and wait for such a long time to visit and then have our trips cut short due to the development of some kind of stomach bug, is something I will take steps to avoid if possible. Because you are in such a small space with everyone sharing one bathroom, stomach bugs can spread fairly easily and can interfere with a significant amount of your vacation time. One time we were at Disney and one of my children came down with a stomach bug (this was many years ago before I started wiping anything down in the room - maybe that's why I started…LOL!). We informed the front desk in hopes that they would take some additional steps when cleaning the room for the next guest but you just have no way of knowing if that is happening or whether the guests who literally left the morning of your check-in have left any goodies in the room for you :) I know there are germs all over the parks but we try to wash our hands and use sanitizer as often as possible. To each his own I suppose :)

Normally I just check for bed bugs and remove any comforter or decorative pillows and call it a day.

But for our upcoming WDW trip, I have bought a small package of Clorox wipes. Not worried about the "heebie jeebie" type of yuck but the actual germs that cause colds and stomach viruses. We have a 2 year old who WILL find those germs and spread it to the rest of us. It will only take a minute and it might help.

I'm just curious, if you sanitize/clean upon arrival do you repeat this each day after housekeeping has been there? I don't imagine they would change gloves etc after cleaning the bathroom, etc. before moving on to the next guest's room.

My late DH had COPD and came down with pneumonia at least twice on Disney trips. Then I read that germs can really be a problem on shower heads. They sit there and then are dispersed with the warm water. That made a lot of sense to me so thereafter I would soak the shower head in a plastic bag with bleach in it. We always had a rental so I would buy the bleach in FL. I would not dare transport bleach in my luggage. BTW, he never again got sick on our vacations.

I never do any other kind of hotel room cleaning.

I'm just curious, if you sanitize/clean upon arrival do you repeat this each day after housekeeping has been there? I don't imagine they would change gloves etc after cleaning the bathroom, etc. before moving on to the next guest's room.
I figure that the problem is that they don't bother cleaning what I clean. That is why I clean.

Now, I have been known to wipe down the table/desk a couple of times during our trip, same with door knobs.

I bring wipes, primarily for the airplane (armrest, buttons, seatback pocket, etc.), but when I remember I also wipe down hotel room hotspots (knobs, light switches, remotes, etc.), too.

Not a fan of getting sick on vacation, especially an expensive vacation like Disney.

No, we never clean or disinfect our hotel rooms. If I had a child with a compromised immune system I would clean a hotel room if their doctor advised it. Parents of kids with special issues have reasons to be concerned and do their own thing. My family and I do not need to take special precautions. We wash our hands with soap and water. That hand sanitizer stuff irritates me. You will get more germs from a door handle in the grocery store than anything in most decent hotels. I have terrible allergies but cleaning things doesnt make life better or safer for me.

Or you could wash your hands throughout the day and be sure not to touch your eyes, pick your nose or pit your fingers in your mouth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter