My Ohana Experience

Correct me if I'm wrong but the bread pudding HAS BEEN changed from a bananas foster type sauce in 2021 to a lot of pineapple. I much prefer the bananas!
It has changed. I'm not positive when, but I think post-Covid. It's now served with a caramel sauce and before it was a bananas foster sauce. While good, it used to be great.

I miss what Ohana used to be. And for those of us who got to enjoy it before, it's sad to see it in its current iteration. But until people stop going, Disney has no reason to change. If they can charge $60 per person for mediocre food, and people line up to pay it, they would be foolish to do better.

Pot stickers without dipping sauce?! Chewy steak? If Ohana was in the real world almost no one would put up with that. The place would close within weeks. But Disney restaurants can charge more for less and people STILL fight to get in the door. We vote with our feet and just won't eat there. Nostalgia isn't a good enough reason to suffer bad food.

That's what I told the wife. We had our teenage daughter and 4 year old son with us so after tax and tip, it cost us $270+. For that kind of money we could have went to a good steakhouse or something on property.
I know this is kind of late but Ohana is "on property"....So, what "property" were you referring to? LOL.....

It's sad what this place has become, another victim of Disney greed. Cutting quality while raising prices is what Disney specializes in now. For anyone who didn't get to visit this place 18-20....or more years ago, you missed out. One night I ate 65 shrimp, that's how good they were lol. The last time I ate there I couldn't eat 2, that's how bad they've become. They stopped serving the meats on skewers, that was the main attraction of the place, that's what made this restaurant!! It's like going to the Magic Kingdom and the castle not being there. What are they thinking?!?!
I truly don’t understand why they took away dipping sauce. It doesn’t cost anything (hardly). Are they trying to save a dish to wash, or reduce the number of items a server has to bring to the table?

I know this is kind of late but Ohana is "on property"....So, what "property" were you referring to? LOL.....
On Disney property.

For what we paid at O'Hana we could have had a nice steak instead of over priced potstickers and noodles.

I was stating on property because the steak would have been overpriced too compared to outside the gates but, in my opinion, I could have had a meal I enjoyed a lot more for an equivalent price.

ETA: I see how you read that when reading it, it's confusing but sounds right in my head. I just meant we could have a more enjoyable meal somewhere else on property for the same amount of money or less.

On Disney property.

For what we paid at O'Hana we could have had a nice steak instead of over priced potstickers and noodles.

I was stating on property because the steak would have been overpriced too compared to outside the gates but, in my opinion, I could have had a meal I enjoyed a lot more for an equivalent price.

ETA: I see how you read that when reading it, it's confusing but sounds right in my head. I just meant we could have a more enjoyable meal somewhere else on property for the same amount of money or less.
OHHHH ok!! Not trying to be a smarta$$...I was just like what?? She is saying she could have had a better meal "on property" yet she was "on property"....LOL... No worries though! Hope you have a better experience next go around! :):)

Ack! We have resy there soon and I'm a tad nervous about it seeing so many reviews about it are just "okay" "meh"! We love Ohana and it holds a special place in our hearts for a few personal reasons. If our experience isn't good this time, then it might no longer be a "must" for us every trip. 🤞 that it's still good for us.
We are going in a few weeks and I am just straight up not expecting it to be a good value. We havent been there in maybe 4-5 years, and were just barely able to get reservations and we want to go to the poly to walk around and shop anyway so ... we are going to eat there. For me personally i was never that excited about the chunks of meat on spears so its not that big of a deal - I like the sides and bread and desserts best anyway. If we had fewer people - or in the future i may just go get the sides at that lounge at the poly instead of at ohanas

It's sad what this place has become, another victim of Disney greed. Cutting quality while raising prices is what Disney specializes in now. For anyone who didn't get to visit this place 18-20....or more years ago, you missed out. One night I ate 65 shrimp, that's how good they were lol. The last time I ate there I couldn't eat 2, that's how bad they've become. They stopped serving the meats on skewers, that was the main attraction of the place, that's what made this restaurant!! It's like going to the Magic Kingdom and the castle not being there. What are they thinking?!?!
Don't think I ever got to 65 but I've had some epic plates of shrimp shells in front of me at the end of the night. Last April when I went I had one and had no desire to go back for another. No flavor and super dry.

I love Ohana, but I think it is only because I had never been pre-pandemic. So I had no idea what to expect and after our first visit in 2021 it has been a must do everytime. I have never seen a 5 year old eat so many potstickers lol! I do wish, though, that I had tried it in its glory days because from what everyone has said it seems like it was incredible!

I'm pretty sure the potstickers are just the prepackaged frozen bulk ones anyone can get at Walmart/Sam's Club. Not a thing special about them at all.

On March 15 we had a 6pm Ohana dinner reservation. We were seated promptly and I was excited to try it for the first time on our last dinner of the trip. I will say that dinner was good, not great but good. The appetizers were great, dinner selection was just ok, and the dessert was great. The steak was terrible, the chimichuri chicken was ok and the shrimp was good. I’m glad we did it but won’t be going back unless they change the steak & chicken.

The experience was a huge disappointment late last summer when we had the extended family together, a rarity for us.

A shame as we had always enjoyed it in the past. I was rather embarrassed after talking it up so. :sad2: Combo of service issues and all around poor food quality.

What was really surprising was bar service being decidedly off. Long time for drinks, mistakes made and a rather skimpy pour Vs prior visits.

Ohan was one of the first expensive, sit down dining options we did as a family... back in the 90's. Think it was $29 a person back then. We fell in love with the whole concept of the meat cooked right in front of you on those big open flame grills. Back then I think it was turkey, pork, beef and prawns.... the beef was so tender and flavorful. But the sides were great as well. And then the pineapple boats with carmel sauce were just very unique.

If you want a steak... go to Contemporary and do Steakhouse 71.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter