My Official Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the statement reads more like “I’m sorry you all found out, but we’re doing fine as a company” rather than “Sorry for possibly fostering this toxicity as a company, and we’re looking to make strides to improve going forward”

Completely agree. IMO, John is not acting like he really cares all that much besides seeing this as an inconvenience to his business and lifestyle, and I have zero expectations that he will do anything to improve things going forward other than pretend none of this ever happened.

Contrast that with Corey's response. That is someone who sounds like a leader, who cares about what happened, and who wants to make things better going forward.

And if Kevin ever decides to comment, I imagine it will be a very similar "people are being mean to us" attitude.

I 100% agree. While I was glad John finally put out a statement, it did not included any wording to indicate that he is taking any responsibility for what has happened on his watch. All I am getting from his statement is "Pete's out, move on folks, all is good and stop being mean to me and Kevin".

I have no idea what he knew or didn't knew. But he was Pete's partner and equal in the company. According to what Shaun has posted the podcast team members are employees of and are paid by DUT - which John runs. He was responsible as the boss for maintaining a safe work space and he failed. It's why I very much appreciated Corey's statement which acknowledged that all was not right in the kingdom and that he was taking steps to correct that moving forward. It gave me some hope that there was an actual adult in the room.

I understand that folks are nostalgic for the "good old days" - except it turns out they were not so good after all.

And as for the mere suggestion of a future DUT hosted group trip? Too soon, folks. Way too soon :sad2:.
I agree with most of this. However, it's possible that the separation of tasks in the company made it less apparent to John than all of us think it should have been. The travel side of the business is complex - many travel agents to manage, relationships with all the various Disney travel entities plus a few other cruise lines, plus all the administrative stuff that goes along with all of this. I don't get the sense (someone correct me if you know differently) that he was very involved in the podcast/video side of things other than occasional appearances on the show, usually when there were travel announcements to be made.

To be clear, I still think he probably knew Pete was difficult to work with and probably not a great boss. But until we hear from someone that he ignored their request for help, I want to allow for a little grace here because I also would assume that Pete would present his best face to John and downplay any issues. We've learned how much he manipulated others... I don't doubt that he did so to John as well, just in a different way.

Completely agree. IMO, John is not acting like he really cares all that much besides seeing this as an inconvenience to his business and lifestyle, and I have zero expectations that he will do anything to improve things going forward other than pretend none of this ever happened.

Contrast that with Corey's response. That is someone who sounds like a leader, who cares about what happened, and who wants to make things better going forward.

And if Kevin ever decides to comment, I imagine it will be a very similar "people are being mean to us" attitude.

Corey just needs to take over for the DIS in its entirety. Corey has the Management/Leadership qualities that John lacks in this situation and his statement was exactly what John's should have been.

I agree with most of this. However, it's possible that the separation of tasks in the company made it less apparent to John than all of us think it should have been. The travel side of the business is complex - many travel agents to manage, relationships with all the various Disney travel entities plus a few other cruise lines, plus all the administrative stuff that goes along with all of this. I don't get the sense (someone correct me if you know differently) that he was very involved in the podcast/video side of things other than occasional appearances on the show, usually when there were travel announcements to be made.

To be clear, I still think he probably knew Pete was difficult to work with and probably not a great boss. But until we hear from someone that he ignored their request for help, I want to allow for a little grace here because I also would assume that Pete would present his best face to John and downplay any issues. We've learned how much he manipulated others... I don't doubt that he did so to John as well, just in a different way.
I hear you. Truly, I do and I understand where you are coming from. But I'm not ready to let him off the hook. I would be more forgiving had he expressed even a modicum of regret that this happened on his watch and a desire to take steps to improve the work environment in the future. And to date he has not - at least not publicly. Only Corey has done that, and I truly hope that his voice will continue to be heard and valued in the company moving forward.

It’s one of those whether John knew or not, it’s better to ask forgiveness of the community that has helped build up not only The Dis, but DUT than to include pointing fingers at some of them.

While it is terrible that folks made personal threats against him and Kevin, the forum to handle those situations is not in your initial response on behalf of the company. Those situations can be handled privately. Again, just my opinion.

While it is terrible that folks made personal threats against him and Kevin, the forum to handle those situations is not in your initial response on behalf of the company. Those situations can be handled privately. Again, just my opinion.

I keep seeing this word used here, but has anyone seen ANY actual evidence at all of threats or threatening comments directed towards John and/or Kevin?

I keep seeing this word used here, but has anyone seen ANY actual evidence at all of threats or threatening comments directed towards John and/or Kevin?
Whether they did or didn’t happen it still stands as something to be addressed privately/separately.

I didn’t see threats, I did see some really nasty comments towards Kevin on Instagram that were totally uncalled for.

I feel like John’s original post came from an emotional place probably out of wanting to protect Kevin. I understand that impulse but it comes across so badly with the context of the situation. Nasty comments could have been avoided with a better response.

I feel like John’s original post came from an emotional place probably out of wanting to protect Kevin. I understand that impulse but it comes across so badly with the context of the situation. Nasty comments could have been avoided with a better response.

I get what you're saying but if that was actually his mindset? Come on...

Kevin is a fully grown adult who is more than capable of speaking his mind and defending himself.

Kevin doesn't need defending. Dustin and Sean did.

I get what you're saying but if that was actually his mindset? Come on...

Kevin is a fully grown adult who is more than capable of speaking his mind and defending himself.

Kevin doesn't need defending. Dustin and Sean did.
Oh I agree, I’ve agreed with pretty much everything you’ve said over the last week or so.

I just appreciate how difficult it can probably be when you see your partner coming under fire.

As I said, totally could have been avoided. What would have been nice to hear is that they’re arranging (or at least offering) some form of support for Dustin/Sean.

EDIT:

And support for anybody else that worked there for that matter.

It seems like there are two separate issues here. The first (and, of course, most serious) is the allegations of sexual assault. I can absolutely believe that no one else involved with the company (apparently other than Charles due to Pete's own confession) knew about this. I can believe that to them the relationships likely appeared strange, but consensual, and they decided to mind their own business. I do not fault them for this.

The second issue is the horrible treatment of employees and the creation of a toxic work environment. This is where is have a harder time believing that other leadership was in the dark. Pretty much everyone else involved with the DIS who has made any sort of statement has acknowledged being aware of this EXCEPT for @WebmasterJohn. This is where my frustrations lie and why I think his statement was so tone deaf. You're going to call people out for meanness and nastiness on the internet when you didn't call it out in your own company? John was in the best position to be an advocate for the employees, many of whom have obviously been treated very poorly over a period of several years, and it seems he chose to either look the other way or bury his head in the sand. If that's not the case, then say so. You don't have to provide gory details to do so (see Corey's most recent statement for example). If that IS the case, acknowledge the misstep and commit to doing better for your employees going forward. As a 10+ year member of these boards and viewer of the podcast, that would go a long way toward restoring my trust in and goodwill towards the company.
Exactly! Spot on. Thank you.

Oh I agree, I’ve agreed with pretty much everything you’ve said over the last week or so.

I just appreciate how difficult it can probably be when you see your partner coming under fire.

As I said, totally could have been avoided. What would have been nice to hear is that they’re arranging (or at least offering) some form of support for Dustin/Sean.

EDIT:

And support for anybody else that worked there for that matter.
I actually reached out to John via email 6 days ago and sympathized/apologized for him having to deal with Pete for so many years, my performance as a travel agent and for any stress that I might’ve put on himself and the agents with coming forward and I didn’t hear anything back.

The clear goal is to sweep this under the rug.

And as for the mere suggestion of a future DUT hosted group trip? Too soon, folks. Way too soon :sad2:.
Yes. Especially given the roles those group trips played in some of the horrific events related by Sean and Dustin. I hope leadership at the very least allowed the current podcast team to give feedback on that idea, after they learned of all of this.

I actually reached out to John via email 6 days ago and sympathized/apologized for him having to deal with Pete for so many years, my performance as a travel agent and for any stress that I might’ve put on himself and the agents with coming forward and I didn’t hear anything back.

I hope he will get back to you. He owes you that. I know he was traveling so hopefully that's why you havent back heard from him. Hang in there, Sean. Glad you are in a better place now.

Well, that just tells me AGAIN what the current mentality is. The victim reaches out and gets nothing back.

There is literally not a single piece of evidence so far that John cares. Not giving Sean the time of day, when he had plenty of time for pretzel pics and "mean comments" posts? Shameful.

I mean you did just in the short term ruin their DL trip and in the long term their business.

I am sure his lawyer(s) told him not to contact you in any form or fashion.

And yes, if they can sweep this under the rug that is most ideal. Minimize exposure to minimize lost in sales and chances Disney decides to take action.

Hope you had a great cruise and have enough tank tops for the next one!

edit:
I am just listing the reasons why John would ignore his email. I have supported Sean here and on the other site.

The tank top is a (inside) joke from the other site.

Last edited:
I mean you did just in the short term ruin their DL trip and in the long term their business.

I am sure his lawyer(s) told him not to contact you in any form or fashion.

And yes, if they can sweep this under the rug that is most ideal. Minimize exposure to minimize lost in sales and chances Disney decides to take action.

Hope you had a great cruise and have enough tank tops for the next one!
They are "teasing" the next podcast cruise, so there is that ... in case you missed it ...
https://www.disboards.com/threads/next-podcast-cruise.3926837/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter