My Official Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if this may result in jail time for Pete? I’d be curious to hear a legal expert weigh in on the possible consequences of his actions.

The best part is that most of us aren't truly that surprised. It certainly is very shocking and difficult news to take in, but I'm willing to bet Pete's AMEX debt that every viewer thought to themselves, "oh, ok, it all makes sense now". Pete had a type, there was a revolving door of employees, and his penchant for material possessions was not supported by his income. If you have a brain, you've wondered about these things.

Just want to say my heart goes out to the whole DIS team in what must be an INCREDIBLY stressful and difficult time. I have worked in a difficult environment, but not a toxic one, and that was stressful enough. I can't imagine what kind of trauma and stress y'all have been through. The DIS has brought me a lot of joy via videos, podcasts and articles over the past 6 years that I've listened. Dreams has been a phenomenal travel agency for me in planning my last several Walt Disney World trips. I truly hope that the DIS can regroup, reform and keep moving forward (as Walt would say!) But most of all, I hope that everyone involved can find peace and healing after an extremely difficult season of life. Thanks for all the Disney joy and magic y'all have spread over the years!

To me, posting on Instagram about food seems more like the job of food reviewers, influencers, etc and not the CEO of a company going through what one would assume is the most significant issue it's faced (god, I hope). I would hope you'd see that there does seem to be a disconnect (I don't know Kevin's position with the company - perhaps he is more akin to an on-air reviewer and I'm wrong).

If this is about friends and family, I get circling the wagons and it seems like that's true for you (and I regret that I've not been able to make friends with the people involved - there definitely seems to be different circles). I trust that these folks have been very good to you and have the best of intentions. For others, it's about a professional company with employees, clients, etc and I think it's fair for those folks to want one thing from the company (and the company can say, "No, we're going to post pretzels and silly hats in the face of our CEO having used power over employees."). It just seems really weird (and a little unhealthy/dysfunctional) to say, "People can't expect more of this company - be quiet and don't talk about abuse." That is, in fact, how abuse gets to continue in systems.

For most of us, none of this is about you or your personal friends. If the company doesn't want to be taken seriously, it can just be a group of friends who talk to each other about food at Disney and help each other with vacation planning. No one is saying otherwise. But people have had interactions with people involved and have a very real right to feel concerned. People do have the right to reflect on whether they have contributed to one person misusing their power, and whether the others in the upper echelon of selected people have also contributed to that (intentionally, accidentally, implicitly, explicitly). I can't think of any company with which I do business where if there was 7 figure financial improprieties and sexual assault (let alone of employees by the CEO) where I'd be like, "Oh ok. No biggie." Those are pretty serious issues to many people and take a while to process (especially since people have personal experiences and a business like this, where people are sharing personal vulnerabilities vs. a company that makes a product that we put in a car but don't personally engage added to the very real concept of community being built in these very message boards, that has some serious emotional weight for people).
I just want to respond to myself, lol (that's some ego right there) that I do feel a renewed sense of appreciation for Craig and Ryno specifically as they try to navigate this. And I don't say that (as I think some folks do on other blogs, etc) to be a slight against anyone else; I think the last podcast I watched was when Deni was still employed (and I probably watched an average of 2 a year or something). Enough to know it wasn't my cup of tea, particularly with one person at the center of this (I loved Off the Rails). Back to the staff - having read and really appreciated Erica's entries, I trust I'd like her work on the panel (I think they're the same person) and I trust that I support Corey's work, etc - I just am not familiar with any of it. But I do think it's hard to be (I know from experience) front-facing employees who do not have control over the elements getting the most attention (and knowing that people on the internet can be just rude, nasty, unkind, etc).

I once did some public speaking and a guy came up to me and said, "I just thought I'd tell you - I hate your voice. There's nothing you can do about it - it's not that you need voice lessons - I just hate it." It was a one-time gig and he'd never see (or hear!) me again - but he felt compelled! So, I hate that stuff happens to you all and I hate that there's stuff you all have had to swallow or overlook about your own experiences (and I could be wrong - but I feel confident that each person who is "lower" on the org chart has had to deal with employer practices that are not only "not ideal" but are harmful, wrong, and likely reaching to the point of abusive. My heart goes out to these folks (and to their families, who've heard them process their feelings or not be able to, etc etc etc). It's just heart-breaking all around. My heart breaks, in a way, for PW. I can't imagine how hard this is and I hope they have good support that is there to remind him of his humanity and that there are paths forward while not enabling the behavior either. We all need friends like that. And my heart goes out to the leaders of this company who, I can only imagine, have very complex emotions about all of this (people they know and care for, business, court stuff, PR nightmares, people being extra mean, etc). I wish everyone well and some peace, for sure (and again, that includes Sean and Dustin - and others).

Kathy is making this 100% worth. People are upset, emotions are raw, and you’re going after the audience and viewers that make this place a thing. Give your head a shake. I’d wait to see how this plays out before blindly defending anyone from The DIS right now. The ONLY thing that matters is the victims.

Does anyone know if this may result in jail time for Pete? I’d be curious to hear a legal expert weigh in on the possible consequences of his actions.
Not a legal expert. But - can share what (little) I know/am aware of/could guess given that (limited) knowledge.

Current legal issues are civil (the AMEX case), and do not seem like they'd lead to criminal charges (although I'd be curious if they could give the indication that I read - and maybe misunderstood - that there is an argument to be made that PW obtained a card improperly). Even still, I'm not sure that would ... well, I can't speculate. Some have suggested that this might lead to looking at whether there are other issues related to finances (for instance - and let me be clear that I'm not insinuating or alleging and I don't believe anyone has, this is just theoretical based on what has happened in similar situations) and taxes, for instance.

There has been some discussion regarding the physical actions that have been discussed. Things like statute of limitations, jurisdiction, etc have so far made it seem like there is not a current likelihood of jail or a criminal case. Doesn't mean that one couldn't come up or if one did, a DA might not feel they have enough to move forward, etc etc. But at the moment, it does not look like jail time is a primary concern (but again - this is all on the outside. There is no telling what the people who were in the room when these things happened are feeling about what is possible, including PW).

If you're aggrieved in the way the victims here have alleged, you would normally investigate if the jurisdictions the crimes occurred in have a statute of limitations. There are many more issues outside of that - cost, availability of witnesses, evidence, etc. - but to at least get off the ground and have standing, you have to be within the SOL in that jurisdiction.

Just because a criminal case is moot doesn't necessarily mean a civil trial can't be brought against both the direct perpetrator and the place of employment. I really hope in addition to getting emotional and mental counsel, that the victims are seeking legal representation.

If you're aggrieved in the way the victims here have alleged, you would normally investigate if the jurisdictions the crimes occurred in have a statute of limitations. There are many more issues outside of that - cost, availability of witnesses, evidence, etc. - but to at least get off the ground and have standing, you have to be within the SOL in that jurisdiction.

Just because a criminal case is moot doesn't necessarily mean a civil trial can't be brought against both the direct perpetrator and the place of employment. I really hope in addition to getting emotional and mental counsel, that the victims are seeking legal representation.
From what I understood this isn't lost on (at least) one person (maybe both). And, to be fair - sometimes, survivors (or those who support them) don't want to go to court. Some people want to move past this trauma (because they worked so hard to make it this far, because they deserve not to always need to deal with their perpetrator - court makes that hard and really inflames wounds of abuse, etc). Some feel ashamed/embarrassed, etc about the situation or are afraid others will make statements (true or false, or a little of both) that ends up harming the survivors. It's a hard thing to wrestle with.

And then we have police departments that don't believe people who ask for help of abuse (for a number of reasons). When I worked at a Sexual Assault Crisis Center (20 years ago!?!), I had written the first educational program (that I could find, at least) about SA specifically in the LGBTQ+ communities. You've got to deal with potential homophobia (literally in a state that is not making many LGBTQ+ folks feel welcomed and/or safe), disbelief (especially if you're a male), etc etc.

But yes, back to your question, I believe one person for whom this applies has explored some of these questions.

I haven’t posted in a very long time. I used to listen to The Dis a lot. I even tried to use DU to plan a vacation (but the agent took a long time to respond and didn’t seem all that engaged). I even applied to be an agent. I met Pete a couple times and was excited to thank him for all the content I’ve enjoyed.

So I’d hope I wouldn’t be considered a “hater”.

That being said…

I think John’s should have kept his statement to support of the victims, letting people know Pete isn’t going to be involved and that he can’t say much else due to legal actions.

Even if there have been threats or harassment he has had to endure, maybe let addressing that be for another day.

And webmaster Kathy… wow, maybe this shouldn’t be a role you should focus on right now as you don’t seem to helping at all. Maybe it’s all too close to home for you to respond appropriately.

I will say I stopped listening to the Dis sometime after JL left. When she was gone and literally no one said why and she wasn’t given an exit I had to consider what was going on behind the scenes.

And it’s this stuff people are questioning now. If people are getting fired unceremoniously, and the work place was so toxic, why did those who have kept going stay? And did staying to keep your jobs only enable the things? Things you knew, things you may have suspected and things you might not have known but still help contribute to the atmosphere that made it possible.

Pete is ultimately responsible for his various crimes. But as person who cared for who you guys are and what we thought you represented, I think we just wanted a bit more. Maybe how you understand the confusion and anger your fans must be feeling. That you’re taking time for reflection and that you want to find ways to assure your staff and viewers are heard and all victimized people are being given your full support. And that most importantly, what mistakes you now see and what you’ve learned and the opportunities for a better path forward.

Just my thoughts.

I haven’t posted in a very long time. I used to listen to The Dis a lot. I even tried to use DU to plan a vacation (but the agent took a long time to respond and didn’t seem all that engaged). I even applied to be an agent. I met Pete a couple times and was excited to thank him for all the content I’ve enjoyed.

So I’d hope I wouldn’t be considered a “hater”.

That being said…

I think John’s should have kept his statement to support of the victims, letting people know Pete isn’t going to be involved and that he can’t say much else due to legal actions.

Even if there have been threats or harassment he has had to endure, maybe let addressing that be for another day.

And webmaster Kathy… wow, maybe this shouldn’t be a role you should focus on right now as you don’t seem to helping at all. Maybe it’s all too close to home for you to respond appropriately.

I will say I stopped listening to the Dis sometime after JL left. When she was gone and literally no one said why and she wasn’t given an exit I had to consider what was going on behind the scenes.

And it’s this stuff people are questioning now. If people are getting fired unceremoniously, and the work place was so toxic, why did those who have kept going stay? And did staying to keep your jobs only enable the things? Things you knew, things you may have suspected and things you might not have known but still help contribute to the atmosphere that made it possible.

Pete is ultimately responsible for his various crimes. But as person who cared for who you guys are and what we thought you represented, I think we just wanted a bit more. Maybe how you understand the confusion and anger your fans must be feeling. That you’re taking time for reflection and that you want to find ways to assure your staff and viewers are heard and all victimized people are being given your full support. And that most importantly, what mistakes you now see and what you’ve learned and the opportunities for a better path forward.

Just my thoughts.
You're back!?

(lol - oops - clicked submit or whatever accidentally). Sooooo, I wanted to edit this to say:

So glad to see your presence here again! Been a while! And - thank you for some wise and measured words.

You're back!?

(lol - oops - clicked submit or whatever accidentally). Sooooo, I wanted to edit this to say:

So glad to see your presence here again! Been a while! And - thank you for some wise and measured words.

Well, not in a John Wick way of being back. But sure, hope to contribute in a positive way

I’ve listened to the podcast since before Ferris was born, I’ve been on a podcast cruise and used DU for a couple of vacations. To say I’m horrified at what has happened would be an understatement. Nothing can change the past, I am looking forward to seeing Craig, Ryno and Erica put on a show without the toxic work environment they’ve had to endure. Maybe the company will bring in therapists to help with this transition, and help those still at the company who might have endured any type of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter