• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My NY EZ-Pass Not Read at Boggy Creek Toll Plaza

mgarbowski

DIS Veteran
I'm not going to dispute anything but I am curious:

I have a New York EZ-Pass device. I used it on 2 recent trips. On the most recent trip I also received an invoice from Hertz (via Plate Pass) for a toll on arrival day between MCO and Disney that the EZPass did not pick up. It is described as "BOGGY CRK (M) 3:17:29 PM Orlando Orange County Expressway" and the toll charge was $2.94 (plus the aded fee). On that same route the EZ Pass did pay at 2 other plazas, one was $0.54 and EZPass just says "FDOT" and Exit Plaza U03. The second was for $1.47 listed as "CFX" and Exit Plaza 331. On the return trip to the airport I paid just one toll, for $2.03 via EZPass.

If anyone knows, I'm mostly curious whether the Boggy Creek plaza does not take EZPass, or was it just an unfortunate glitch. If anyone knows I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing a glitch.

Also, on the previous trip the GPS took a different route and I paid 1 toll each way also via EZPass for $1.97 each way.

Last edited:
Did you mount your transponder on the windshield? Instructions tell you to but posters insist that's not necessary.
Did you log onto your EZPASS account and list your rental car plate number,?

My last two rentals I've had my personal Florida toll pass not register a total of 4 tolls. 3 the first time and 1 the second time. Both times Avis sent me bills.

Boggy creek was an issue for sure the first trip....can remember the second

Did you mount your transponder on the windshield? Instructions tell you to but posters insist that's not necessary.
Did you log onto your EZPASS account and list your rental car plate number,?
I just put it on top of the dashboard, and it worked 5 times out of 6 on 2 trips, but maybe a windshield mount would have made the difference. That's partly what I'm trying to figure out.
I did register the rental car plate with EZPass on the first trip, but not the second. I very much doubt this was the cause, but cannot say so with absolute certainty.
My last two rentals I've had my personal Florida toll pass not register a total of 4 tolls. 3 the first time and 1 the second time. Both times Avis sent me bills.

Boggy creek was an issue for sure the first trip....can remember the second
That's a lot of failures, and must be frustrating. It does appear Boggy Creek might have issues, and not just with EZPass, though I'm not sure anything can be done about it, unless you route around it.

No need to register the rental with NY E-Z Pass, but it is supposed to be mounted (from the FAQs). DC7B0993-DE61-4D03-B08C-8CBDAD365061.jpeg

No need to register the rental with NY E-Z Pass, but it is supposed to be mounted (from the FAQs). View attachment 685931
A poster said, at least with Sunpass, when a transponder isn't read the system checks to see if a plate is registered to an account. If so the toll is billed to the customer and not the rental agency.

Posters talk about waiving the transponders or leaving it on the dash. It seems to work most of the time. I assume there is a reason we're told to mount on the windshield.

A poster said, at least with Sunpass, when a transponder isn't read the system checks to see if a plate is registered to an account. If so the toll is billed to the customer and not the rental agency.

Posters talk about waiving the transponders or leaving it on the dash. It seems to work most of the time. I assume there is a reason we're told to mount on the windshield.
The OP specifically mentioned they have NY E-Z Pass (same here) so I thought the directions directly from the vendor would be helpful.

I had 2 rental cars with Illinois Ezpass in June on way from airport 1 car was not read at J Young and neither car was read at Boggy Creek, Alamo did bill for 1 vehicle at Boggy Creek. On way back to airport neither car was read at John Young and 1 car was read at Boggy Creek. Did get two charges to my account that were after I returned rental car on the 528 which I never drove on.

The OP specifically mentioned they have NY E-Z Pass (same here) so I thought the directions directly from the vendor would be helpful.
The OP was driving in FL. I thought describing the procedure described by other posters regarding use of license plates might be relevant.

I wonder if mounting on the windshield is necessary for the transponder to be read by some toll plazas.

Some posters have used the visitors pass. I haven't read of any cases where the rental agency was charged. I suspect there is an issue without of area transponders, either in general or when they're not mounted as per directions.

I make my DH hold my EZPass (PA) up against the windshield, which is no different from having it attached there. Haven’t had problems but not sure if we used Boggy Creek. Our old PA pass was mounted with Velcro strips which would have been a pain to try to recreate in a rental, they just sent us new suction cup mounted passes which would be easier.

I also add the rental car to my account online.

The OP was driving in FL. I thought describing the procedure described by other posters regarding use of license plates might be relevant.

I wonder if mounting on the windshield is necessary for the transponder to be read by some toll plazas.

Some posters have used the visitors pass. I haven't read of any cases where the rental agency was charged. I suspect there is an issue without of area transponders, either in general or when they're not mounted as per directions.
And I appreciated it. I find the NY EZPass site hard to navigate sometimes. I also appreciate all the other info, but just to be clear.

• I knew fully well that the official recommended practice is to mount on the windshield (and have the tags mounted that way on our own cars).
  • I also read many multiple reports with personal data points saying it was not necessary.
  • I decided before my first trip using EZ Pass in Florida that I would risk not mounting it because mounting and then unmounting at the end of the trip seems like a minor bother, and I can afford to pay the Hertz fee at least twice (once in each direction) if it failed as the price of conducting a test.
  • I had no issues on my first trip, and thought I had none on my second when I saw tolls charged in both directions on my EZ Pass account, so the notice about the charge was a bit of a surprise.
So with that, I wanted to figure out what specifically happened at Boggy Creek. I think the most likely answer is that keeping the EZPass tag on the dash works a substantial majority of times but not always and Boggy Creek in particular might have weak signal pickup. In the future I probably will mount it.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I have a ‘fun’ ezpass/rental story. I recently used our ezpass on a rental. I put the license plate number as a temporary vehicle in my account with an expiration date of 6/24/2022. I was charged for a toll (using the plate number) on 7/1/2022!

We have had many issues with ezpass recently. We get double charged often, once with the transponder and once with the plate number. I have to constantly check our account.

I haven’t noticed a charge for the Boggy Creek toll yet. A few weeks ago, I saw a charge for a toll from a year ago!

I have a ‘fun’ ezpass/rental story. I recently used our ezpass on a rental. I put the license plate number as a temporary vehicle in my account with an expiration date of 6/24/2022. I was charged for a toll (using the plate number) on 7/1/2022!
That's probably why NY EZPass now advises not to put a rental car on your account (see another post above). I don't that that was always true, and it probably changed when they started eliminating booths and charging plate numbers.

I have never had an issue with EZPass when used on my own cars. Getting charged twice sounds like a real bother to have to fix.

We bought a SunPass some time ago and upgraded to the movable transponder (with suction cups) a few years ago because sometimes we drive our own car and sometimes we fly and rent. For our trip this past week, I actually remembered to go on the SunPass website and enter our rental car information, which included the date and time for pickup and for dropoff. I was impressed after we returned, when I logged on to take the rental car off our account and found out that the system had deleted it automatically.

Have a DE EzPass. Had no idea it would work in Florida?
It changed Memorial Day weekend 2021. I flew down and used my IPass in October, used the Visitor Toll Pass in January. Will probably use the IPass again when I'm there in October. Unless VTP finally removes their head from their backside and puts a machine on the other side as well.

I had exactly same problem, Boggy Creek was the only toll plaza my NY EZpass did not recognize. Thus, rental car company charged it. the extra cost was not big, a few dollar extra, so no biggie and no reason to claim, but it was annoying

We just got one of the visitor toll passes from the airport vending machine. It was really easy and worked without issue. Makes me glad I forgot to bring our ezpass from home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter