My NIGHTMARE with Disney Vacation Account : My advice, stay away

Thank you for posting your experience! I started funding a DVA about a year ago and have been using giftcards. I'm looking at renting DVC points rather than booking a vacation package anyways so I just asked for a full refund. The refund form asked me if I still had the original giftcards and I selected no. Fingers crosssed I get a new giftcard with the full balance before my trip next March! :)

Thank you for posting your experience! I started funding a DVA about a year ago and have been using giftcards. I'm looking at renting DVC points rather than booking a vacation package anyways so I just asked for a full refund. The refund form asked me if I still had the original giftcards and I selected no. Fingers crosssed I get a new giftcard with the full balance before my trip next March! :)

Report back and let us know how that works out! Interesting that you were asked if you had the gift cards. Wonder if that is new?

I finally got my money back into my DVA. It took a lot of time and phone calls. Guest services reported that they found out that the DVA account will only accept a certain amount each day in refunds. I forget what it was, I think $5,000. Anyhow, somehow they overrode the system and put all $7000 back in doing it with 2 separate deposits.

I finally got my money back into my DVA. It took a lot of time and phone calls. Guest services reported that they found out that the DVA account will only accept a certain amount each day in refunds. I forget what it was, I think $5,000. Anyhow, somehow they overrode the system and put all $7000 back in doing it with 2 separate deposits.
Glad you got your money back! I have read your posts and was hoping the best for you. I hope that you have a wonderful trip.

Have people experienced a lot of problems with using the DVA to pay for trips, or do most of the problems seem to be with refunds? I have been going back and forth on opening one, but if even using the funds to pay has been a problem I probably won't bother. Getting a $20 GC for every $1000 spent (effectively a 2% discount) is not worth a ton of hassle, IMO.
I had an issue in 2014 with DVA. They took the money off of the GC but it wasn't credited to my account. I called and they were not helpful at all.mI finally got help by calling the number on the back of the GC. That person was very helpful.

After that, no more DVA for me..

Well, this solidifies my resolve to not open one ofth ese and perhaps just open a regular savings account just for vacations!

A year ago I was hesitant to use the DVA at first so I put money in it and then contacted them for a refund to see if I would have any issues getting my money back. They did ask if I had the original gift cards and of course I never thought to keep them. So I told them no and they just mailed me a new gift and with the total balance. It did take about 2 weeks to receive it but it worked fine. I have called customer service a few times since and haven't had any issues.

I understand the frustration the OP has had. I guess I will be the one that so far has enjoyed using the DVA, and here is my reasoning. I'm a horrible saver. If I have access to the money, chances are that I will spend it. With the DVA, the only way I can spend the money is if I am paying for the trip to WDW or wherever we are going. I know for a fact that if I had the money in a jar in the house or in a separate bank account, I would be tempted to go and spend it, however with the DVA, it is out of sight out of mind for me. I have heard bad stories and I have heard good stories about the DVA, and I guess I am trying to say that while what the OP has gone through is a horrible experience, do your research and make a decision that is best for you. I was a member during the issues that occurred last summer, however I decided to stick around, and I do not regret it yet. Now, if I have the same issue that the OP had when I go to book my trip, my opinion may change, but I have heard other stories from people who have enjoyed the DVA also. Once again, I am sorry to hear that you went through this OP.

Received my giftcard today! My experience in closing the account was actually very good.

Good to hear! I, too, have been one of the lucky ones. I've not had any issues with customer service reps, receiving my gift cards in a timely manner nor any other glitches except for the one time no one had access to their account. Knock on wood because I'll continue to use DVA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter