My Minnie Mouse Cakes

pharmama

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone- I'm fairly new to the DIS and have been hanging out (mostly lurking) in the DCL forum since we're going on the Dream this summer.

2 of my three DDs are having a joint b-day party tonight and I had the idea to make cakes to look like the mouse ears hats.

I'm so excited about how cute they came out that I wanted to share the pics with other Disney fans... hopefully this is a suitable forum :)

photo.jpg

Hi everyone- I'm fairly new to the DIS and have been hanging out (mostly lurking) in the DCL forum since we're going on the Dream this summer.

2 of my three DDs are having a joint b-day party tonight and I had the idea to make cakes to look like the mouse ears hats.

I'm so excited about how cute they came out that I wanted to share the pics with other Disney fans... hopefully this is a suitable forum :)

photo.jpg

Those are awesome! How did you make them? I would love to try!!! :goodvibes

They were actually remarkably easy. I just baked the cake in a glass mixing bowl (2.5qt Pyrex) for the nice domed shape. They also have a 9" round beneath the dome layer (would have been too short without this and my girls both wanted 2 different flavors in their cakes). Put them together with some buttercream including an outer layer.

I used Black Fondarific Fondant (bought it off Amazon- much easier to work than Wilton and tasted better too). Rolled out and lay on top. Easy! The ears are cardboard covered in the same fondant. I tried some edible materials but none of them worked very well. The kids at the party all wanted to eat the ears and were disappointed they weren't edible so I might try to figure out something else next time.

For the writing, I cheated. I have the Disney (Waltograph) font on my computer so I printed out their names the right size with that. Then I held the printout up to the cake and 'traced' it with a toothpick. Then just followed the dots with the red icing.

Obviously the bow is just real ribbon (also purchased off Amazon).

Really quite easy for the impression they made. I've made far more time consuming cakes with less impressive results! EVERY parent at the party was floored that I had made them- most started out asking where I bought them.

How adorable!

I wonder how covered chocolate chip cookies would work for the ears?

Cookies are a great idea for the ears! As long as they are pretty firm/crisp I think that would work great. Fondant is very unforgiving of lumps underneath so I might do a sugar cookie rather than chocolate chip but that's an awesome idea! If I make these cakes again I will definitely try that.

Adorable cakes! Really good job. For the ears, you could use rice crispies and make them into the shape of the ears and then cover them with fondant. It stays firm and it works well. :)

Adorable cakes! Really good job. For the ears, you could use rice crispies and make them into the shape of the ears and then cover them with fondant. It stays firm and it works well. :)

We actually tried rice crispy treats but were not successful. I tried two different recipes/formulations (that were even for cake shaping) but couldn't get them stiff enough. Also weren't happy with how much the rice crispy lumps showed through the fondant (not enough dirty icing?).

I've watched enough Cake Boss ;) to know that crispy treats are how (at least one way) the pros do it but we were clearly doing something wrong. :confused:

The cardboard covered fondant was our last ditch 11pm attempt after the 2 failed rice crispy tries.

pharmama said:
We actually tried rice crispy treats but were not successful. I tried two different recipes/formulations (that were even for cake shaping) but couldn't get them stiff enough. Also weren't happy with how much the rice crispy lumps showed through the fondant (not enough dirty icing?).

I've watched enough Cake Boss ;) to know that crispy treats are how (at least one way) the pros do it but we were clearly doing something wrong. :confused:

The cardboard covered fondant was our last ditch 11pm attempt after the 2 failed rice crispy tries.

Oh! It usually works for us but good thing you found something that worked for you. Awesome job! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter