My Kid, Isn't A KID??????

Too Sad

Earning My Ears
We had a financhial set back. That has taken us all along time to recover from. My Kid went without alot of stuff in those years and was very understanding about it. The chooses were HARD, food or electricity.We were down to Basics. Electric,water,Mortgage,,food every other month,not even a car for about 5 mo.[try getting someone to take you grocery shopping.]. Well EVEN a single candy bar would have tipped us too far into debt.

So,with work and scrimping,and going without[till my clothes were too thin to patch and being grateful the thrift shop had pants ,that were only $4.00] we made it, we repayed all the debts.

Now,I would love to treat My Kid to some Free Disney!
But My kid,according to disney,Isn't a kid!!!!!! My Kid is an
Adult at just 13. My Kid can't drive,can't hold a job,can't
vote, isn't 18 the legal age of adults,BUT to the LAND OF
MAGIC,THE HOME OF MICKEY, My Kid is too old!

What Kind of Logic is that? Walt built Disneyland and WDW for children and Families to be able to have a place to come together and have fun!

But according to Disney My Kid is to old to be a kid,too old to have fun,definately too old to get anything for Free from Disney!

How SAD to make" Peter Pan" grow old before his time. How very,very sad!!!

My son just turned 9 and this will be his last year as "a kid". Next year alot of the character meals he will be charged as adult so we are trying to do alot this year. Also this is the last year we can get the child park hoppers for him. So yes 10 should be considered a kid but in Disneys eyes is not.

In terms of $$$ they are "adults" but we know they are still kids...they also know that it terms of $$$$ that this age group buys millions and millions of $$$ worth of stuff.

I am so happy that you dug yourself out of your debt...we went through the same thing for 6 years about 4 years ago and life couldn't be better now...You did it....here is a big cheer for you....Best of luck to you in the future!
Holycow

I think the logic the theme parks use is that 13 year olds can enjoy all of the major rides and stuff so they are "adults". Smaller kids can't do the big rides which is why they get a discount. I was in New Orleans recently and noticed that at their local park they charge based on height. If you are tall enough to the the thrill rides you are an adult.

By the way this is not just Disney. I just had to work with a bunch of Girl Scout leaders and explain to them that Dollywood in Pigeon Forge says 11 and older are adults!

I was stunned to learn that my 10 yr old was an 'adult' (of course, she already thinks that) when I went to buy park passes. But she was still considered a child for meals. So that saved us a little bit.

I was only able to take my family to WDW after my two older sons had grown up and moved away but we finally made it. Don't despair. Where there's a will...

It really makes sense to charge adult prices to people who are going to be riding all the major (adult) attractions. Disney has the philosophy that the average family is going to go to WDW twice in their lifetime and the family doesn't care if they have to go in debt for their experience. Disney is an expensive vacation, if your finances are still tight you might explore alternatives vacations.

I'm confused. Were you thinking that something would be free because of his age? Kids are only free if they are under the age of 3. The hotels will not charge for an additional person unless they are 18 so I guess he is 'free' in the hotel.

Congratulations on your debt situation. I respect anyone who will scrimp and do without in order to pay their debts. This is the portrait of a person who WILL get ahead in life!

How wonderful that you are able to start planning a vacation after struggling to get out of debt! Congratulations :D

It is sad that Disney is so expensive for older kids/teens. You would think they could give families a break on the admission prices.

Lucky for you though, you've got the DIS! Keep reading these boards (budget, resorts, & orlando hotels, especially) and you will find lots of ways to save money! I never imagined that there were discounts on Disney resorts until I came here. And we can help you save on off site hotels and rental cars too!

Best of luck

:sunny:

I thought Disney had some classification for Juniors but I know that didn't count for passes - I think it counted for rooms and/or some meals. Mine are older now (16 & 18) and really do deserve the adult category but I agree it's a shame that the mid-range aged kids have to pay the same. But it is a wonderful vacation - memories to last a lifetime and there are some ways to save $$ along the way (still not cheap by any means, but more manageable). There are lots of great tips on these boards!

I congratulate you on your financial situation - my ex left me when kids were 1 and 3 and found out he didn't pay capital gains taxes on house when sold even though he kept all of profits! It took me 6 years to pay that off and boy did we celebrate the day I made that final payment!!!

Maybe won't help you, if this is a once in a lifetime trip. But, we took our family when my daughter still was considered a child. We returned several years later. Disney honored all three days remaining on her 5 day park hopper pass even though by then she was definitely old enough to be considered an adult.

If you have a child near the "adult" age cutoff, you might want to invest in their ticket now.

I know 1 thing that is free for your 13 year old. The room. Until 18 kids stay free in the hotels rooms. The 3rd adult in a room is $25.oo. If your talking about the kids go free offer it is really not so great. You can do it cheaper with the codes yourself. YOu can get Allstars for $49.00 a night in Aug until I think Oct 3. Most Disney packages will not save you any money.

While I can understand the the park tickets being adult priced, I think the meal prices are very high for everyone especially a teenager (like my just turned 14yr old) who will only eat minimal and specific (hot dogs and the like) food. However, I have learned that many adults order the childrens meals without a problem. We intend to try this to economize. Of course, buffets would not allow this.

My 14 yr old daughter eats like an adult or a teenage boy lol. I think seniors should get park discounts before teenager. Lets face it the teenagers go on the majority of the e rides.

I too disagree about the cutoff age for a child pass is 10 yrs old. I posted about it under a different category (probably wasn't the right place) but I was accused of teaching my kids to lie and of trying to cheat disney! When all I asked is if I could save a little money by buying a child pass for my DD who would have missed the cutoff by a couple of months....I wondered if you are made to show proof of age, etc.. annsteere brought up a good suggestion...I'll buy now while she's still 9 yrs old.

When everyone gets great discounts onsite using "codes", is that considered cheating Disney out of a couple hundred dollars????

To Too Sad - so glad things have changed for you and you're family :D

Many of our local theme parks go by height. That means my very tall not quite 6 year old niece has to get an adult ticket!! Disney policy is actually better then most theme parks.

I agree.... 10 certainly isn't an adult in my book... and honestly my son is 13 and still as of our last trip wouldn't ride the "big" rides....

Here is a huge hug and big pat on the back though for getting out of debt!! WTG!!!

Janet (wife of DIsneyBOund4Ever)

Kings Dominion considers a 7 year old to be an adult......and most of their rides are geared toward tall people that they know children will never be able to ride......to me, that is a rip off!!!!!!

Congrats on getting yourself out of debt. I think we all have felt the pinch of poverty at least once in our lives. Until 1999, we had NEVER gone on a family vacation and it sure felt good taking a nice long trip no matter what it cost us. Just being together and not worrying about money was good enough for us.

Well, if it is still tight I think I would go somewhere closer to home and stash some money for a year or two-try a vacation club account where you can only withdraw at a given point during the year. Your profile doesn't list where you live but some suggestions for different areas of the country-

Washington DC
Gettysburg
Chattanooga
Cave City KY
Cincinnati
St Louis
Branson (Silver Dollar City is a nice small theme park)
Rapid City
Colorado Springs

We have done all of these-St Louis at least 8 times. So much to do there.

On any of the above go to zoos, museums, parks, National Monuments/parks, caves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter