My Journal to Me - Comments welcome!

CACruisin'

<font color=teal> If she can do this, so can I!<br
Ok, so I just signed up for the WISH challenge.

I am 42 years old, 5'6.5" and weigh 185 lbs (so scary to actually type that for the world to see!).

Ideally, I would like to lose 40 lbs, but I would be happy with 30. We are going on the May 2007 Transatlantic Disney Cruise, and I want to be able to comfortably wear a bikini by then!

My plan is to drink at least 64 oz of water EVERY day and exercise (walk, jog or swim) for 1 hour at least 5x/week. I already eat reasonably well with balanced meals and moderate portions. I know I don't drink enough water, and I need to exercise. Also, if I have a snack, it is not generally a healthy one so I need to make better choices for my snacks.

I have never done any sort of formalized weightloss program. I have always managed to take off excess weight by watcfhing what I eat and stepping up the exercise. When my 3rd child was about a year old, I stepped it up and was running 3-5 miles a day. A year ago, I fell and broke my foot in two places (not running, just walking down the stairs!). This brought everything to a grinding halt! The healing process was slow. It is only in the last few months that I have been completely pain free. I have not exercised at all for the past year. I now weigh more than I ever have except when I was pregnant. The pounds have got to go! I hope the wonderfully friendly people at the DIS will give the motivation to get started and stick with it!

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

So far today:
Food:
:) 1/2 Grapefruit - 8:15
:sad2: Carls Jr Santa Fe Chicken w/o the bun, no fries or soda (10:50 am - DD needed lunch after her ortho appt)
:sad2: 1 licorice jelly bean (easter!)
:) 1/2 Grapefruit - 1 pm
3/4 cup chicken salad + 6 Rosemary & olive oil Triscuits- 5 pm
the last of the chicken salad (1/2 cup) + 6 more Triscuits, 5 cherry tomatoes - 8pm
:sad2: small (1"x2") Tiriamasu - 9pm

Water:
96 oz :cool1:

Exercise:
:yay: Walked Hills with jogger stroller 50 minutes, 2.8 miles (3.3 mph), then walked 32 minutes, 1.3 miles at a slower pace with DD's home from school. More hills.

Welcome! And congrats on getting started! :thumbsup2

Sounds like you know what you gotta do, and you're doing it! We're all here for each other...since we're here for the same reasons. Keep on posting through the good and bad...

And if you have the time, check out some other journals here. You'll meet some really inspiring people here. I don't know how far I would have made it without them! :love:

Good luck!! :cheer2:

Welcome aboard!!
sounds like you are off to a good start!! Stick with it...we're here for you!!

marie

Welcome!! You'll have no problem finding support around here. Everyone has been so motivating for me, plus just having to be accountable in your own journal is pretty motivating in itself!

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. I really appreciate it. :grouphug: I have started reading some of the other Journals and those are all so wonderful to read about the good and also the bad. Definitely for me, having to be accountable (actually type it in!) in this Journal has been a great motivation for me.

Looking over yesterday, I think maybe I should eat more earlier in the day. Definitely need to add more fruit and veg also. Didn't have any dairy either, but that was an anomoly. I usually drink +1 qt of skim milk a day. Any thoughts or suggestions? :scratchin

Then of course, there was the Tiramisu Incident! Some details: I realized around 5:30 pm last night while I was talking on the phone to my dear best friend that I was going to have to drive to the main post office (45 minutes away) to mail the tax stuff (and we won't even go into all of the sordid details of how that happened! :furious: ) Her parents live a few blocks from the Post Office, so she offered to keep me company on the drive. Left the house after 8 after youngest DD went to bed, DH said he would get the other two DD's done. After we dropped off the tax stuff :furious: , we stopped by my DF's parents house. My DF is 1st generation Italian. It was the day after Easter. Lotsa food! I insisted that I did not need to have any ravioli, ham or lamb, (I've already eaten dinner!) However, I would have offended everyone if I had turned down the Tiarimasu. I had the smallest possible piece. (It was really, really good!) I also walked out with two chocolate bunnies and a chocolate egg for DD's and a giant chocolate egg (8 inches tall) filled with toys and candy (It is an Italian thing!) for the family. Sigh!

Ironically, DD is doing a nutrition unit in school right now. Earlier she had to log everything she ate for two days. Now she has to plan (and eat!) a balanced menu for the next two days. There is no way she is touching that chocolate right now! This unit has been an interesting experience for her.
All of the DD's are thin (like Mom used to be!) and she is some what appalled at how much food she is supposed to eat! :rotfl2: Her stomach really isn't that big!

Food:
7:15a: :) 1 cherry tomato (does that even count?)
9:20a: :) Peanut Butter Whole Wheat Toast with Strawberry allFruit Jam (Total Cal: 336, Total Fat: 17 g, Carbs: 33 g, Fiber: 5 g, Protein: 11 g)
12:20p:
:) 5 cherry tomatoes
:) 1/2 ham sandwich on whole wheat
:) 12 oz skim milk (Total Cal: 313, Fat: 7 g, Carbs: 40 g, Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 21.5 g)
5p: Granola bar (Total Cal: 160, Fat: 7g, Carbs: 22 g, Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 3 g)
6:15p: 2 walnuts & small piece of beef jerky (Total Cal: 65, Fat: 4 g, Carbs: 1.5 g, Protein: 6 g)
7:30p:
Spinach & Whole Wheat Rotini Pasta w/ kalmata olives, pine nuts, feta, red onion, cherry tomatoes ?
Pear & Gorgonzola Salad ?
24 oz skim milk (135 cal, 18 g Carbs, 13.5 g Protein)

Excluding Pasta & salad - Daily Total Cal: 1009, Fat: 35 g, Carbs: 114.5g, Fiber: 11 g, Protein: 55 g

Water:
:woohoo: 128 oz

:yay: Exercise:
Walked DD's to school with jogger stroller 22 minutes, 1.3 miles (left later than we should've and walked at a fast clip), then walked 60 minutes, 3.2 miles (3.2 mph). More hills. Total: 82 minutes, 4.5 miles, 3.3 mph.

Forgive the extreme details. I am really trying to figure what exactly I am eating/doing. On my exercise stuff. I clip DH's GPS to the stroller so I know how far I've gone, how fast, and how long. Sorry, I am a geek and very detail oriented! :blush:

(I snuck on the scale this morning - couldn't help it - 182! I know it was just water weight loss, but it sure helped motivate me, especially after the Tiramisu Incident! :rotfl2: )

First of all, WELCOME! :welcome:

Secondly, I don't think I can talk to you since I am insanely jealous that you are going on the May repo cruise! :snooty: Just kidding, I think that is great! We went on our first Disney cruise in March and totally loved it! We plan on doing the Med in '08, but on a different (i.e. less expensive) line...

Sounds like you know what it takes to get to where you want to be! My WISH buddies have helped me SO much.

How old are your DDs? My DS9 (will be 10 on Sun) did a nutrition thing also and he was checking every label in the house for sugar content...

Have you joined the exercise challenge? That has been extremely motivating and helpful for a lot of people (including myself). You are doing great so far, keep up the great work! :cheer2:

Amy

Thanks for the welcome. I am planning on joining some of the challenges starting in May. I am still working my way around learning this board. Everyone seems so nice though! :banana:

The May Repo cruise is my incentive to get back into a healthy body! Our first DCL cruise was last summer to Mexico and we loved it too! Originally, we had thought we would do one of the 10/11 day Med cruises as a family, but then we weren't excited with the ports (we spent 2.5 weeks in Italy in 2004 so there were a fair number of repeats for us.) The Repo cruise is an exciting dream for DH and I, but it will be hard too, because we are leaving our two oldest at home with family. They just can't miss school (6th and 7th grade next year). DH wants to leave our youngest (she'll be just shy of 4) at home too, but I am not ready to do that.

DD is 10, and yes, we did the whole sugar content thing. I got labelled "Health Nut" since we didn't have "5 items in the house that you wouldn't expect to have sugar as the 1 or 2 ingredient" :rotfl2: I don't really think I am a health nut (not at my weight!), but I do most of my shopping at Trader Joes. My problem is all the items in the house that DO have sugar - Breyers, Girl Scout cookies, danish, chocolate chips, .... :rolleyes1

She did pretty good on her food pyramid today except for grains. She was 3 short! "I just can't eat that much mommy!"

Is there some sort of calculator some place where I can input a recipe and have all the nutritional info calculated? Maybe I should ask this on the main board?

Hi there and welcome to WISH!!! This is a great for support!!!

You are on the right track, you are doing great. Don't be hard on yourself for the goodies....we all have them!!!

If you go to fitday.com you can enter/find the foods that you eat and it will do a calculation...I love that website!

Keep up the good work! Have a great day

I love Trader Joe's! They have those blueberry bran cakes that are really good! And I am hooked on the individual baggies of almonds...

Wow, are older DDs upset that little sis gets to go on the cruise and they don't?

How are you doing today? Did you get your exercise in yet?

nutritiondata.com is pretty good too...you can input ingredients and save entire recipies.

Glad to see you are a fellow numbers geek!! I tend to over-analyze every single thing so just let me know if you need some help!

I am having a lousy day!

I so very much appreciate all of your wonderful support and I really need it today. Thank you.

I knew today would be busy and exercise would have to wait until the evening - (ugh! I hate exercising in the evening!) I did resist the angel food cake that was calling my name this morning, though and had frosted shredded wheat instead.

We finished DD2's Dr's checkup around 11 and went to meet DH for an early lunch at Soup Plantation. While going down the line getting salad, two women caught up to us. One of the women proceeded to say a number of horrible things about not moving fast enough including "You're fat!" - No lie, she actually said that! and what the heck does that have to do with how fast I go down the line! I had already suggested she go around us since I was making a plate for my 2 year old as well as myself.

No one - not family, not friends - has EVER said I am fat. I have said I am fat to DH and to myself. That's it. I was stunned and incredibly hurt. Short of insulting my children, this woman could not have said a more hurtful thing to me. Especially since it was just this week that I had joined up here and commited to work on my weight! I still get teary as I type now. Sorry, maybe I should start a private journal and not vent these things in public, but it has helped me to make a public commitment about my weight.

Later, at the drink station the other woman came up to me and apologized for her sister. It helped that at least someone else thought this woman had been mean, but still. It completely wrecked what was supposed to be a nice lunch with DH, and I can't help thinking about how a total stranger could say that to someone!

Food:
8a: 1 cup frosted shredded wheat w/ skim milk and 1/4c blueberries
11:30a:
assorted Soup Plantation salad items w/ 1T basalmic vinegarette + 1T blue cheese dressing
1c portuguese potato & chorizo chowder
1c ginger pineapple pasta
1 small blueberry muffin, 1 small carrot pineapple bran muffin w/ honey whip
16 oz 2% milk
2:40p: 2 licorice jelly beans - right before going to the dentist - I had a black tongue! :rotfl2: luckily, the dentist laughed and said he likes licorice jelly beans too!
7:30p: 10 oz skim milk + 1 licorice jelly bean (can you tell what my current vice is?)

Water:
110 oz - the only good part of my day!

Exercise:
Nothing yet...

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
I'm so sorry about your day. People suck!! That woman totally showed how tactless some people are. If it were me, I would have turned around and said, "I may be fat, but that can change.....you, on the other hand are an obnoxious, self-serving, inconsiderant pitch (b) and some personality flaws will never change." (i do normally spout off before I can stop myself...gets me in ALOT of trouble!)

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.... :sunny:

hang in there and keep up the good work!

marie

Marie, you made me laugh for the first time all day - Thank YOU!

I am never good at thinking up comebacks until much later. The best I had come up with late this afternoon was "you are possibly the most horrid person I have ever seen!" Yours is SO much better! :rotfl2:

This woman was in her late 40's, not even some self absorbed teenage type. It was so out of the blue.

Marie - don't let that woman's comments get to you....you showed that you are a much better person by not snapping back at her. She obviously has to criticize other people in order to make herself feel better, more power to her, she's not worth your time. Hope today is a better day for you!!

Oh yeah, going to Italy for the first time next year so I'll have to get some tips from you!

Good morning,

Don't let that comment get you down...I know it is hard, but you were the bigger one and just walked away...You are doing great.

hope you are having a wonderful day!

keep it up~

I can't believe someone actually said that! At least her sister came and apologized, but that is no excuse - it shouldn't have been said in the first place! Like everyone else has said, don't let that stupid person get you down. It's not worth it!

Your food looks great, so does your water intake! :cheer2:

Thank you all for your kind words. It is a new day and I am feeling better. I cannot tell you how wonderful this forum has been for me to get positive words. They are bad days, good days and everday is a new day.

Food is already a little sketchy today since I went straight from the PTA board meeting to Toddler class, but it will get better later today (I hope)

Food:
8-10a: three strawberries, small slice cinamon swril coffee cake (PTA board mtg)
11a: 4 strawberries, slice of cheese, small polar bear animal bear cookie (Toddler Class snack)
4p: 1c spinach & rotini pasta
7p:
1/2 ham sandwich w/ 1/2T mayo and mustard
4 sticks ea red bell pepper, zucchini, cucumber, celery
2 sticks celery w/ peanut butter
6 cherry tomato
12 oz skim milk

Water:
102 oz so far

Exercise:
walked with jogger stroller 3 miles in 50 minutes (3.3 mph) and 1.3 miles in 30 minutes. some hills, mostly flat. Should have eaten something before walking. felt like no energy for the first 30 minutes.

And Scott, ask away about Italy! We were in Rome for 6 days, Sardinia for 6 days and Venice for +2days. We had a fantastic time.

Need to scoot now so I can get my walk in.

Wow, are older DDs upset that little sis gets to go on the cruise and they don't?

Actually, I think they are more offended that mom and dad might want to take a trip without them :rotfl2: They spend a week or so every year with just the two of them visiting my parents. They know that it will be more fun with the grands' if little sister is not part of the picture. Of course, I am not sure they are considering that this time they will actually have homework, etc. to do instead of just fun and games!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter