• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Husband passed away and I'm left without medical insurance now.

jerseygirl81

DIS Veteran
As if it isn't bad enough going through the loss of the love of my life. I knew they would stop his Social security since I'm under 60 but he passed away the end of December and they took his check out of our account because he had to be alive every day of the month. I've been covered on his policy for 32 years for medical insurance and before that from my job. I can pay $1000/month for Cobra for just myself but that seems steep and I don't have a big income. Where do I start my search? Is that price steep or is that average for good insurance. Our state charges you if we have a lapse in insurance, just seems like adding insult to injury.

Linda

Agree with the above info.

I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot begin to comprehend what you're going through. I hope you get answers and support quickly. Sending prayers.

A good place to start these days is your state health insurance exchange. You might even qualify for assistance, based on your income. And the income limits are higher than you might think, in California an individual can make up to almost $50k/year and still get assistance.

Unfortunately, $1k for individual coverage isn't unusual these days under COBRA. The COBRA plans are typically pretty high. But make sure they are actually giving you an individual rate, and not individual+spouse rate.

Last edited:

A good place to start these days is your state health insurance exchange. You might even qualify for assistance, based on your income. And the income limits are higher than you might think, in California an individual can make up to almost $50k/year and still get assistance.

Unfortunately, $1k for individual coverage isn't unusual these days under COBRA. The COBRA plans are typically pretty high. But make sure they are actually giving you an individual rate, and not individual+spouse rate.
I agree that you need to check with whatever your state has as part of the Affordable Healthcare act because the subsidies can make a huge difference.
I disagree out COBRA cost. COBRA 10 years ago was usually the more expensive option, with other insurance being cheaper. Affordable Healthcare act, at least in California flip flopped that. We were going to do insurance through Covered California for 10 months and COBRA for 18 months until we hit age 65. But Affordable Healthcare Act premiums.....since we do not qualify for a subsidy as of July 2020 were $3,300 a month for my wife and I just for Medical. COBRA, through my wife's work for Medical, Dental and Vision is $1,300 a month for the two of us. That is why we put off retirement until this year when we get within the 18 month window.

I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know much about what you are asking but really wanted to send my condolences.

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.

I agree with what @MrWonderful and @MomToOne wrote. COBRA is very expensive and the healthcare marketplace (or whatever it is called in your state) may very well be a better option. My parents used the marketplace for a while when they were retired but not yet old enough for Medicare when they moved back to CT (they also received monthly tax credits for their monthly premiums since the income limit per person for marketplace assistance is $51k per person in CT).

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.

I agree with what @MrWonderful and @MomToOne wrote. COBRA is very expensive and the healthcare marketplace (or whatever it is called in your state) may very well be a better option. My parents used the marketplace for a while when they were retired but not yet old enough for Medicare when they moved back to CT (they also received monthly tax credits for their monthly premiums since the income limit per person for marketplace assistance is $51k per person in CT).
Yes, income plays a huge role in what you pay under the Affordable Healthcare Act. For folks like me, who don't qualify for subsidies, COBRA may very well be a cheaper option. At least in California under Covered California.

I just noticed your name and, if you are in NJ, your marketplace has open enrollment through 1/31/2021. I see that NJ has the same income cap for assistance as we do in CT ($51,040 for an individual). It couldn’t hurt to look and price things out: https://www.nj.gov/getcoverednj/

call your county or state's dshs (department of health and social services). ask if they have IGAR worker (information, guidance and referral)-they can help with allot of information on a variety of topics. if not-ask for the number to the OMBUDSMAN for your region. they can help with guidance on healthcare and other issues.

my condolences on your loss.

I just noticed your name and, if you are in NJ, your marketplace has open enrollment through 1/31/2021. I see that NJ has the same income cap for assistance as we do in CT ($51,040 for an individual). It couldn’t hurt to look and price things out: https://www.nj.gov/getcoverednj/

If she is in NJ that's great that it's still open enrollment, but this should qualify for a life event for any marketplace, or employer for that matter. I know at least a couple people were I work that are on their spouses insurance because it's better than what we have, though we don't pay a monthly premium. But if the same were to happen they'd be able to join onto ours due to the life event that caused them to lose their insurance, just as a job loss, birth or adoption, I think some allow for marriage.

I am so sorry for your loss. :hug:

You mention that you are under age 60 and, at least at one time had a job with benefits. Do you still have that job or a different job that provides health insurance benefits? If so, I would start there. Speak with your Human Resources or Benefits department. You may (or may not) be penalized for buying through the state marketplace if you qualify for employer benefits.

If employer benefits are not an option for you, here is a link to New Jersey's state marketplace: https://www.nj.gov/getcoverednj/ about halfway down the page is a link for "GET HELP" and the state should have someone who can help you navigate your options (at no charge for this guidance).

I recommend comparing all coverages for which you are eligible -- Cobra, work and the state marketplace. Compare the plans and don't just look at the premiums. Often the lowest premium plans have much higher out-of-pocket expenses and it doesn't do any good to pay for health insurance that you then can't use because it's too expensive to see a doctor or fill a prescription. Try to find a balance that works for your budget.

As others have mentioned, you do qualify for a "life event" enrollment, so that may give you a little extra time to make the decision but I don't suggest waiting until the deadline. Good luck!

Sorry for your loss. I lost my affordable insurance when the affordable are act was passed and my plan was cancelled. I used to pay less than $200 per month. I just did an analysis, and Obamacare would cost me about $27,000 per year if I used it. That is the total of premiums, plus deductibles plus co pays until I hit the stop loss at age 58 in Michigan. The deductible goes down on silver and gold plans but the premiums go up. Lower deductible plans are the way to go if you don’t plan on using it except for emergencies. If you use it and meet the deductible and hit the stop loss cap, all the plans end up costing about the same amount.

I have had to learn to treat myself. I signed up for the Christian Healthcare Ministries plan in case of accidents or severe illness, but have never used it.

We now pay more for my husband’s Medicare than for both of our insurance plans before the affordable care act.

The crappiest Obamacare bronze plan should cost you about $6000 per year with a Deductible of about $6,350 per year in your late 50s. You would have no prescription coverage until the full deductible is met. It will go up every year because of your age. No more discounts from being part of a group, like the one you get from the cobra plan.

I think you will only be able to get the coverage if none is available through your employer.

If you accept the cobra coverage, you probably would not be able to sign up for Obamacare until late this year for 2022. Your life changing event allows for you to sign up now if you have no options from your employer.

I am no expert and plans vary by location, so call an insurance agent now to get an expert’s opinion. Make sure to not miss the cobra deadline or Obamacare change of life circumstances deadline.

It will be a tough decision. If good coverage is important to you, consider a new job with an employer that offers good insurance.

Wishing you the best in this difficult time.

I am so sorry for your loss. A lot of people seem to be bashing the ACA but please look in to it. I didn’t see anywhere where you list your taxable income but you seem to be very effected by SS pulling back the last month payment so I assume you are of an average income. My husband and I use the ACA in Florida. I retired early, he works part time. We live off our savings(non taxable) and his now much smaller salary. Our ACA costs for 2021 are $440 per month. Not great but a lot better than what people here are implying. Please look in to it. I would hate for you to forgo insurance due to perceived costs. Again, sorry for your loss and good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter