• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Grandma’s 1st Time in WDW

ashnicole

Mouseketeer
Hey DISers! I have a question for all you seasoned WDW goers! I’ve only been 3 times, once year for the past 3 years and have gone in June, October, and November. I’ve had a possible slight change of plans and my sister can no longer go, but my grandma is possibly wanting to go in November, which should have good weather.
We are Disneyland Resort regulars, so my 80 year old grandma is used to the pace of Disneyland, as long as we sit down and take breaks (more snack breaks for the amazing WDW food!!).
I would love to take her for her first time. She is interested in seeing EPCOT and AK. We would obviously do all 4 parks. I have 9 days planned and ADRs at BOG lunch, Ohana breakfast, Chefs de France, 50s, and Tonys but the only one I’m adamit about keeping is BOG lunch so I would love suggestions! I’ve been trying to get Beaches and Cream ADRs and the soda fountain at the swan and dolphin looks fun. I usually eat quick service meals with a couple of ADRs thrown in, but I’m going to make at least one ADR a day.
If you’ve gone with grandparents, what restaurants (quick service and table service) did they enjoy? Do you have resort recommendations? What attractions are must do’s? My biggest question is about transportation. Have any of you stayed in the parks while they take a break? I know it’s a case by case basis, but the transportation always seemed easy to me, but do others find it easy?
Thank you in advance for the help! (I hope this is the right forum!)

Since Grandma is already used to Disneyland one thing I would strongly consider is renting an ECV (ie scooter). WDW is really big. We usually walk 8-12 miles a day. It's just spread out. She may not want to do this. But, from experience, strongly encourage her to think about it. And you can make a deal that she tries it one day and then decide on the rest of the days.

Word of Caution: the person in the scooter does not get tired while those of us walking do!

I would recommend a scooter too or at least a wheel chair. WDW is so much more spread out than DL and the average person walks approximately 8-10 miles in the MK alone. I don't think breaks will be enough for her.
I have heard of others taking family memebers that went back to the hotel for mid day breaks but I think if you get her some sort of mobile transportation, she might be ok to stay most of the day with you in the parks.

We traveled with my parents several times with them being the age of 70-78. They loved BOG and Ohana. They also loved the GF so The GF Cafe was one of their favorites. One year we were staying at the GF so the GF Cafe was right there and we ate there several times. When they wanted a break, one of us would take the bus or monorail back with them and then go back. Sometimes we would go in advance and they would meet us - that they had no problem taking the transportation by themselves. At HS we ate at Sci Fi and Brown Derby - they enjoyed them both. At EPCOT we ate at many restaurants - they did enjoy Via Napoli. I hope you get B&C - they enjoyed that too.

We definitely took it easy with my parents. My dad does all the roller coaster rides so he was all up to going on them but we just spent less hours at the parks. Our kids love going with them. Enjoy!

My mom is in her 70s and she loved BoG, O'Hana, Lunch with an Imagineer at Brown Derby, Le Cellier and Teppan Edo at Epcot. Kona Grill at Poly is always a must do for breakfast one day. Oh, and she likes Raglan Road in DS. ( We're Irish )

We avoid most character meals because it just gets too loud for her liking.

We did the HDDR one time and she had a blast, the luau at Poly - not so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter