My friend and I are booking our vacation next month

Minnie Mouse2789

Earning My Ears
We want to do a Merrytime Western Caribbean cruise. I am wheelchair bound. Eastern got nixed because no ports were accessible . None of the Western Caribbean excursions are wheelchair accessible. it looks like the most accessible is Alaska, but we REALLY want the beach . Any wheelchair dependent advice for the Caribbean? Was there enough to do to make it worth it?

I actually think Eastern would be more accessible than Western, just because at least on Eastern you don't have any tender ports. Western has 2, I believe.

Really? I thought reading the site St Thomas and Tortola had tenders. I found an Eastern cruise that would be ideal, but it only seems available Halloween on the High Seas.

Really? I thought reading the site St Thomas and Tortola had tenders. I found an Eastern cruise that would be ideal, but it only seems available Halloween on the High Seas.
Neither St. Thomas nor Tortola use tenders. You just walk (or roll) down the gangplank. Nassau is also accessible, and has a lovely beach at Atlantis resort. If I were in a wheelchair, I'd probably opt for a Bahamian cruise (DCL has some 5 night Bahamians, or you can do a 3 night/4 night back-to-back), just because Castaway Cay is accessible, and Atlantis on Nassau is a modern resort with full amenities, and likely more accessible than the beaches in the Caribbean, particularly in terms of nearby bathrooms, etc.

Last edited:
Oh, GREAT to know. Here’s what the website says-
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ports/st-thomas-st-john-us-virgin-islands/Not accurate?
USVI and BVI do not tender. Many excursions involve boats or ferries, however.

Grand Cayman always tenders.

The "excursions requiring boats" and the vehicles not necessarily being disability friendly is universal across the Caribbean, as none of the ports are subject to US ADA rules save the USVI. You are actually most likely to find an okay excursion there for that reason.

USVI and BVI do not tender. Many excursions involve boats or ferries, however.

Grand Cayman always tenders.

The "excursions requiring boats" and the vehicles not necessarily being disability friendly is universal across the Caribbean, as none of the ports are subject to US ADA rules save the USVI. You are actually most likely to find an okay excursion there for that reason.
Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter