My First PTR! Our Family Trip MAY 2010- The Time Has Come! We Leave TODAY!!

AuroraRose

Mouseketeer
So, this here would be my first pre-trip report! I've lurked around the forums for a while now, and have recently come out of hiding to join in on the fun! I've read some pre-trip/trip reports and I figured this would be a good way to help the time go by!

INDEX

CH 1: Below
CH 2: ADRs
CH 3: Daily Itinerary
CH 4: Bill & Jeff Join the Party!
CH 5: 2 MONTH MARK! Plus Planes and Pin Trading!
CH 6: 1 Month.. and one day.
CH 7: Sad News
CH 8: And then there were 8 (and ½)
CH 9: Good News!
CH 10: Quick Stories
CH 11: The Time Has Come!

A little back story, since I've been in hiding all these years: We've been planning this trip since our trip to WDW last May. See, for the past three years we've been taking Disney trips with our friends. In 2008, Bill and I were in Disneyland when we traded pins with one of the DVC CMs who convinced us to go take the tour and get our free fast passes. We figured we couldn't pass those up, so we went ahead and scheduled our tour. Long story short, we bought into AKV, which helped us actually follow through with the idea to make last years trip a trip to WDW instead of DL, where we had gone the two years before. In April of last year, we went to DL with my parents and my grandmother and ended up adding on points for Grand Californian, and that is how Bill found himself with a free annual pass for WDW, which also helped make our last WDW vacation a reality. So, in order to get to use his AP one last time, we decided to head back to WDW for or 4th annual Disney trip, only this time, we had the crazy idea to bring everyone with us!! :eek:

On to the introductions!

bowlerhatguy01.png

My name is Kara and I am 29 years old (as of January 9th!). I'll be the one narrating this journey through our trials and tribulations! I'm engaged to this guy:

senorbilbo.png

This is Bill, AKA sbill13. He's also 29, and has said he may come and add his two cents to this report at some point. I'm hoping this will be a joint effort, I think it would be fun to get both perspectives!

We've been together for 8 years, and we'll be getting married this October! We REALLY wanted to do a Disney wedding, but it wasn't in the cards (or our wallets).

Moving right along! Our friends who came with us last year:

jiko.png

Jeff (32) and Allison (29). I went to school with Allison in New York, and Jeff is her husband. Luckily for us, Bill and Jeff hit it off right away, and we're all best friends! And it seems our love of Disney has rubbed off on them! Randomness: Every year we buy matching Disney shirts to wear on our trips. We're such nerds, and I love it! (I need to dig out the pics so maybe I can post them later!)

And the new additions for this years trip (in no particular order):

groupdca.png

My dad and my mom (and grams, who isn't coming on this trip with us, she'll be with my uncle). Quick story, they actually met at Disneyland right before my dad left for Vietnam. He followed my mom around the park, and she tried to lose him, but eventually she gave in and let him hang out with her. At some point that day, he told her he was going to marry her, to which she responded "You're crazy!" And here we are, 4 kids later, and still going strong! Have to share this cute picture of them from our Easter trip last year:
momanddad.png

billandlinda.jpg

Bill's dad Bill (My Bill's the V) and his girlfriend Linda.

01.jpg

My sister Lauren (25) (With baby Kiera last Halloween). She'll be bringing her boyfriend:

002.png

Kyle (27). (With baby Kiera the day she was born)

And, the star of the trip:

babydoll.jpg

Kiera, who will turn 8 months when we're at WDW! She's the love of my life, and I am so excited she's coming with us!

ALRIGHTY! If you've been keeping track, that's a total of 11 of us! It would have been 12, but my uncle wasn't able to come, so he'll be staying home with grams. Still, it's going to be INSANE!!!

We'll be in WDW from May 1st through the 8th at our home- Animal Kingdom Villas. It will be a first for us, since last year it was too late to get into AKV. We stayed at SSR instead, which was really nice!

villas.png

In the two bedroom will be everyone but Bill's dad and Linda, who will be staying in the studio.

So, hello and :welcome: to anyone who stumbles upon our PTR! I hope to eventually do a TR once we come back as well, so this will be good practice! If you've managed to get this far, thanks!

Up Next: Dining? Perhaps?

I can't sleep, so I am updating this with the ADRs we have. Last year at WDW was quite the learning experience for us. We (and by we, I mean I) researched before we went and learned about the buses and all that. But, no one listened when I said we needed to make our reservations early, and we ended up all over the place, so we spent A LOT of time going back and forth on the buses!

This time around I was DETERMINED not to let that happen again, and I mailed out a packet of potential places we wanted to go, gave the link for the menus on allears, and asked for input on what everyone else wanted. Well, it was a good plan in theory, but like many good plans, it failed miserably. After many a "have you looked over the info yet" inquiries, everybody eventually just said "We'll go wherever you go!" Really, people? You took MONTHS to get back to me just to tell me THAT! .sigh. /rant.

Without further ado, the ADRS:

5/1: Arrive
L- CS TBD
D- Akershus

5/2: MK Day
B- Crystal Palace
L- TBD
D- Tony's Town Square

5/3: HS Day
B- Cape May Cafe
L- TBD
D- 50'S Prime Time

5/4: WP Day
B- TBD
L- Rose & Crown
D- Raglan Road

5/5: AK Day
B- TBD
L- Tusker House
D- Yak & Yeti

5/6: Epcot Day
B- TBD
L- Biergarten
D- TBD

5/7: Last Day
B- TBD
L- TBD
D- TBD

Anything in this color is someplace we didn't try last year, so thoughts and opinions are very much welcome! Also, you might have noticed that we have a lot of "empty" meal spaces. We're hoping to try out some CS for those, or see where we end up. If you have any suggestions, I would be happy to hear where your favorite places to eat are!

Hi!!! We are the same age and we are going to Disney at AKL at the same time!!!! Yay! I have enjoyed reading your pre-trip report so far can't wait for more :yay:

I'm subscribing to this one! Excited to hear your plans!

Hi!!! We are the same age and we are going to Disney at AKL at the same time!!!! Yay! I have enjoyed reading your pre-trip report so far can't wait for more :yay:

Oh, how awesome is that?! Have you stayed at AKL before? I'm excited to stay there for the first time! I'm gonna have to go check out your PTR as well! :yay:

I'm subscribing to this one! Excited to hear your plans!

Yay! Thanks for joining me! :dance3:

Before I get into the itinerary for our trip, I did manage to find those pictures of us in our matching shirts! Hopefully others like pictures as much as I do!

Disneyland '07:

caladventure.jpg

Disneyland '08
dis12.png

Walt Disney World '09

jiminy.png

BONUS- We brought a little Disneyland to Walt Disney World:
thehat.png

Okay! As I mentioned before, we were clueless when it came to just how long it would take to get around WDW on the buses! Learning from last year, I tried to organize things a little more this time around, without making it too strict of a schedule. I made a calendar last year, and it would have been okay if we got our ADRs in on time because I had researched the park times and everything! But, alas.. I did it again this year, only we did get our ADRs in on time, so hopefully things go better this time around, huh?

(click for a larger image if you wanna see what I've been up to)

We have 4 dedicated park days, and 3 "free" days.

Sat. 5/1: Arrive in Orlando probably (Still need to buy our airline tickets) around 10 or 11am after our redeye from Vegas. We haven't decided on a lunch spot yet, so we'll figure that out when we get there. We'll probably end up at Epcot because we'll be having dinner at Akershus that night!

Sun. 5/2: This is our official Magic Kingdom day! Breakfast will be at Crystal Palace, and we're hoping to get a good picture in front of the castle before it gets too crowded! Aside from our ADRs, we'll be winging it once we're in the parks, so no set schedules for anything except maybe Wishes. We'll be having dinner at Tony's Town Square that night.

Mon. 5/3: This is our official Hollywood Studios day! But not before we have breakfast over at Cape May Cafe! My sister wants to see Beauty and the Beast- Live on Stage because Belle is her favorite, and I am hoping to catch Fantasmic! because it's been a while since I've seen it at either park. Dinner will be at 50's Prime Time. We had a great time with cousin Eric last year, so hopefully it will be just as fun this time around!

Tues. 5/4: One of our free days! We might try out one of the water parks at this point which we didn't get around to last time. Lunch will be at Rose & Crown and dinner will be at Raglan Road.

Wed. 5/5: This is our official Animal Kingdom day! Definitely want to try and catch the safari early! We're also hoping to maybe see The Lion King and Finding Nemo. Lunch will be at Tusker House, and dinner at Yak & Yeti, where we had the most amazing brownie sundae last year! Oh, and the wontons! Seriously loved those!

Thurs. 5/6:
This is our official Epcot day! Bill has decided he wants to drink around the world, we'll see how that goes! I definitely want to try and catch IllumiNations, and spend some more time exploring the WS! Lunch will be at Biergarten.

Fri. 5/7: Our last day at the parks :sad1: and another free day! This will probably be a shopping day to get whatever we didn't get in our walks through the park, possibly another day at one of the water parks. We have NO ADRs for this day because everyone decided they wanted to just see where we ended up. This will also be packing night. :sad:

Sat. 5/8: Head back home. The only saving grace here is the prospect of a possible return in October for our honeymoon! :genie:

At some point this may turn into a double PTR because, as I mentioned, we might get to come back for the honeymoon! .crosses fingers.

hi there! excited to hear more plans. our trips are overlapping. we are going to be there april 26-may 3. my birthday is may 1!! well, can't wait to hear more!!

p.s. your niece is adorable! my niece was born in september so i can totally understand how she's the love of your life...my niece is the love of my life!!

im not going to take all the credit for you starting your pretr but glad i could nudge you into starting it.:thumbsup2

good start, looking forward to reading about "the almost a dozen" people TR

:goodvibes

Heh! Forgot about the picture with the sombrero! Great times! Can’t wait for us to go! Hopefully with the organized meals we won’t spend all of our time catching buses this time! Buses < Park ftw! OMG I can’t wait for Tusker House and Yak and Yeti! Yum! Hey, you need to add the cinnamon buns we had last year, dude, those things were great!

Wow -- you have a great plan, already -- Epcot always takes us 2 days, and then we want to go back AGAIN...

and, we're DVC'ers for AKV, too! We stayed for the 1st time last July, meeting up with my BFF who lives in FL...and we're going back in June!! We LOVED it...especially concierge. I just was stating in my PTR that taking other folks on your vacations can be tricky...! :lmao: 12 folks!! Whew!! :rotfl: Your TR will be interesting!! :)

:welcome: Thanks for joining me!

hi there! excited to hear more plans. our trips are overlapping. we are going to be there april 26-may 3. my birthday is may 1!! well, can't wait to hear more!!

p.s. your niece is adorable! my niece was born in september so i can totally understand how she's the love of your life...my niece is the love of my life!!

Disney is always a great way to spend a birthday, how exciting!! I'm enjoying "meeting" everyone who will be in the parks at the same time.

Thanks! Kiera was born Sept. 5th!! Yay September babies!! They sure do know how to wiggle right into your heart, don't they?? I'll be checking out your PTR when I come home, we're going to be heading out soon!

im not going to take all the credit for you starting your pretr but glad i could nudge you into starting it.:thumbsup2

good start, looking forward to reading about "the almost a dozen" people TR

:goodvibes

Thanks for visiting!!! :yay: You definitely did inspire, so thanks for that as well! :cheer2:

I know, it's crazy, right? But I always end up texting my sis and calling my mom and telling them I wish they were with us, so hopefully it works out!

Heh! Forgot about the picture with the sombrero! Great times! Can’t wait for us to go! Hopefully with the organized meals we won’t spend all of our time catching buses this time! Buses < Park ftw! OMG I can’t wait for Tusker House and Yak and Yeti! Yum! Hey, you need to add the cinnamon buns we had last year, dude, those things were great!

Welcome aboard Bilbo! Glad you came to visit! I have the cinnamon buns on the calendar! I thought you said you looked it over! :rotfl:

Hi! Yes I have stayed at AKL before! Last year we did and it was very nice. I am getting excited!

We only passed through when we ate at Jiko last year and I thought it looked amazing. I am super excited to actually get to stay there this year!

Wow -- you have a great plan, already -- Epcot always takes us 2 days, and then we want to go back AGAIN...

and, we're DVC'ers for AKV, too! We stayed for the 1st time last July, meeting up with my BFF who lives in FL...and we're going back in June!! We LOVED it...especially concierge. I just was stating in my PTR that taking other folks on your vacations can be tricky...! :lmao: 12 folks!! Whew!! :rotfl: Your TR will be interesting!! :)

Yes, we definitely wanted to make sure to get extra time at Epcot! We kept getting to the showcase late last year and we really want to try and see it all!

Awesome! I am glad to hear that AKV is as awesome as I am hoping it will be! I'm sure Now I'll have to go and check out your PTR as well! Yeah, organizing everyone so far has been interesting. I think the parents will probably wander and do their own thing sometimes, so we'll see how it goes! :laughing:

84 days and counting. :thumbsup2
Thanks Jefe! I'm glad you came to visit too! I hope both you and Bill will be helping me out as I go along! ;)

You might have missed it if you blinked, but my wonderful fiance Bill :lovestruc and my awesome friend Jeff :hug: have joined in on the fun! Bill, who I usually call Bilbo (Baggins), goes by sbill13 on the boards. Jeff, who we nicknamed Jefe, goes by mav77910. :yay:

At the moment we are looking for flights as the only ones who already bought their plane tickets are Bill's dad and Linda. I think everyone is waiting for their tax returns.

I don't think I mentioned this here, but we're going to be trying out Garden Grocer for this trip. Has anyone tried them before? We figured it would be nice for things like the diapers and baby food for the baby so we have less to worry about in the luggage, especially with all the fees these days, and maybe for snacks and some breakfast stuff.

Bill also surprised me by actually getting the new luggage I wanted for the trip! We were walking through Kohl's the other day when i spotted some purple luggage that I thought would be perfect. I needed new luggage, and I wanted something that wasn't black and a little more distinctive, and Bill said he'd think about it. A couple days later, I was looking on the Kohl's website and noticed they are having a sale on luggage! So Bill bought it for me! I got this set:

luggage.jpg

But in this color:
Deep_Pink.jpg

It says it's deep pink, but in person it looks purple. I never thought I'd get so excited over luggage, but since it has a Disney association, it makes me ridiculously happy to be getting this new luggage!

Subbing! I followed your link from another PTR. We will be there at the same time!!! I keep finding more and more people who will be there that week--it should be a lot of fun! :goodvibes

Love the luggage!

having different color luggage than normal really helps when picking it up, we found it helps with strollers in the parks too, thats why we have a bright orange one.

subbing! i love luggage, i am always wanting to buy more, but unless i take a year long cruise or something, i will never have a reason to use it all! i just bought DS his first suitcase though, which was kinda cool! your trip sounds exciting! i am really trying to talk my parents into joining dvc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter