• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Fear: All food will be pre-made and wrapped.

Mr Mannn

Who da Mannn? He da Mannn!
at least quick service. At my work all food is individually wrapped. There are no custom sandwiches, or omelets cooked to order.
I fear this will be the case at all snack carts, quick service, and stores, possibly even the table service restaurants.

to some this might make sense, but I fear the loss of intimacy, and personality to prepackaged expedience.
Further I fear the ease of this pre-made food might be permanent.

I hope not. When it opens. Just open and let’s get on with stuff. We will be fine. Let me eat like normal.
I mean we get take out all the time. It’s made like normal. I just can’t eat inside. So hopefully. We can just sit and eat normal stuff.

I think, table service would be normal after reopening, maybe more distance between the tables - less availability possible. Counter could be normal to, I think only standing in the line would be the problem. But if all keep the distances, what should be the problem?

I do not see this happening. Especially with how great is dealing with allergies. If they went this route how would they accommodate people with real allergies to the top 8? Many families choose Disney for their vacation because it is a time when they can relax a bit knowing how well they can eat with their Severely allergic children.

I doubt it.

Covid 19 is not a foodborne illness. Most restaurants around us are still preparing typical takeout. Only risk is picking it up off the food’s box or wrapper. Same risk as if the food is pre-wrapped.

IMO, they will require mobile ordering with some kind of pickup system that doesn’t allow people to crowd around the pickup area unless their tray is actually physically ready. The problem is crowds and close proximity. I don’t see what pre-wrapped food does. I suppose it would speed things along, but with allergies, special diets, etc., I say no way.

People have to make your food. Working on super close quarters

none of this is going to happen anytime soon, imho

Having worked as a chef and in the catering industry for around 15 years in multiple countries, its not the preparation of food that will cause issues. Its the customers / guests.
They will have to implement the same procedures as in grocery stores right now.

Counter Service / Quick Service
  • When waiting in line people will have to stand 6 feet part
  • All staff will have to wear facemasks and gloves
  • They will have to install perspex glass screens at the till points and food pick up areas
  • Cashiers will have to work slower to limit the amount of people waiting at the pick up area.
  • There will have to be more staff cleaning tables, as tables and chairs will need to be cleaned and sanitized after each party leaves.
  • They will have to reduce eat in capacity and remove tables and seating areas.
  • Payment will be card or contact less such as Apple Pay only, no cash

Table Service
  • They will have to install perspex glass screens at the host stands
  • They will have to send you a text message when your table is ready instead of having everyone wait in a holding area.
  • They will have to reduce the amount of tables and space them out further.
  • Tables wont be able to be turned as fast as they were as servers will need to sanitize tables and chairs etc after each party.
  • Payment will be card or contact less such as Apple Pay only, no cash and they will have to get the portable card reader machines like we have in Europe, instead of taking your card and swiping it at the man terminal.

I think implementing distancing rules in a theme park will not work. The virus can be spread by airborne droplets from coughs and sneezes that spread over a fairly wide area. I can’t imagine WDW opening until it is very safe for everyone. just imagine the lawsuits when somebody gets sick.

I do not see this happening. Especially with how great is dealing with allergies. If they went this route how would they accommodate people with real allergies to the top 8? Many families choose Disney for their vacation because it is a time when they can relax a bit knowing how well they can eat with their Severely allergic children.

I expect that they won't accommodate most allergies at the get go, at least at most places (they may designate one restaurant for allergy cooking at each park). They'll need to space out in the kitchens, and everything will be running slower, and they just won't be able to take on that work.

Add on that if they open the US and these themeparks prior to a vaccine or herd immuntiy with the concept that older and less healthy folks stay home, there would be less need for those allergy-friendly foods. I know with my own food allergies (now at 4 and counting - I love older age), I'd not expect to get food in a reduced service theme park that was more than just "basic" produce or fries at open. No way am I expecting anywhere to feed me real food (I mean, right now, I'm bringing my own groceries to NYC this summer if I keep my trip...I'd do the same for Disney if I had that scheduled).

Having worked as a chef and in the catering industry for around 15 years in multiple countries, its not the preparation of food that will cause issues. Its the customers / guests.
They will have to implement the same procedures as in grocery stores right now.

Counter Service / Quick Service
  • When waiting in line people will have to stand 6 feet part
  • They will have to install perspex glass screens at the till points and food pick up areas
  • Cashiers will have to work slower to limit the amount of people waiting at the pick up area.
  • There will have to be more staff cleaning tables, as tables and chairs will need to be cleaned and sanitized after each party leaves.
  • They will have to reduce eat in capacity and remove tables and seating areas.
  • Payment will be card or contact less such as Apple Pay only, no cash

Table Service
  • They will have to install perspex glass screens at the host stands
  • They will have to send you a text message when your table is ready instead of having everyone wait in a holding area.
  • They will have to reduce the amount of tables and space them out further.
  • Tables wont be able to be turned as fast as they were as servers will need to sanitize tables and chairs etc after each party.
  • Payment will be card or contact less such as Apple Pay only, no cash and they will have to get the portable card reader machines like we have in Europe, instead of taking your card and swiping it at the man terminal.
If this is the case, will it be possible for the restaurants to be profitable? I am just asking as it seems more workers required while serving fewer guests.

I thought there was already strong belief in the medical community that its not really effective at grabbing ahold in your digestive track?

I think implementing distancing rules in a theme park will not work. The virus can be spread by airborne droplets from coughs and sneezes that spread over a fairly wide area. I can’t imagine WDW opening until it is very safe for everyone. just imagine the lawsuits when somebody gets sick.

I agree that it will be difficult to implement distancing rules, but it can be done. Coughing and sneezing issues can be corralled by everyone wearing masks.

If this is the case, will it be possible for the restaurants to be profitable? I am just asking as it seems more workers required while serving fewer guests.

some of the things I listed are already in place in grocery stores in my country. Once the Irish Government announced the start of the stay at home restrictions by closing the schools in mid March, the grocery stores quickly installed perspex screens at the till points.

Also the grocery stores here are promoting contactless payment and discouraging people from using cash.

Before the mandatory closures of all but essential businesses, restaurants here had started limiting their capacity and moving tables father apart.

We have had portable card readers which are brought to the tables and chip and pin not chip and swipe cards here for many years. The technology is mainstream in Europe, America just needs to catch up and implement it.

The same with the text messaging when your table is ready. Disney already use this technology for mobile ordering, they just need to implement it for table service and do away with the buzzers and holding rooms.

But yes you are right, prices would have to go up to compensate for the new procedures and extra staff.

Disney restaurants maybe. Restaurants around your town, no.

If they ban cash I won’t be happy... neither will the dozens of people I tip during my usual stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter