My experience at the checkout counter at Borders today...

UGH! That would have annoyed the crud out of me. I would have told a manager that it did also.:headache:

Unless you are shopping at a store owned by the manager, that would do you absolutely no good! Corporate headquarters gives each store goals, on things like memberships and credit accounts opened. And tells us that we MUST see those things as we are checking out customers. If you hate that practice, the only thing that may help is to write Corporate headquarters. The store itself can do nothing, their hands are tied!

Whereas if you run it as a debit card, YOU get charged a fee!

Really? What rip off bank do you go too. I never pay anything for using my Debit card. I use it like cash almost everyplace I go. I only write about 3 checks per month and almost never go to the bank. (Direct Deposit and On-line banking) Never a charge to me.

If I were you folks I would be searching out a new bank.:rolleyes1

I hate all the donations at the register stuff. I just want to buy my stuff and leave. I don't want to be asked to donate to XYZ. I have my own charities that I support and I always feel awkward saying no at the register. I don't think they belong there. I also hate when people are right outside the supermarkets looking for donations.

Now before anyone starts flaming- I fully support our military. I do try to donate when I see them. However- I don't always carry cash on me and they set themselves up at the entrance and the exit. Neither can see the other and when I donate to one table (same cause) they have no idea and act like I didn't donate at all the times that I am able to! It makes me feel embarrassed. Recently they kept asking someone I know if they had any money and the person kept saying no (because they didn't have any cash on them) but they wouldn't stop until the person asked them if they had a credit card machine. It made the person feel embarrassed.

I don't think any organization should be able to be set up like that. Some youth drug organizations do the same thing. IMO they should be 50 feet from the entrance. If you want to donate you can and if not you shouldn't have to worry about running them down with your cart trying to get out of the store. YMMV.

ETA- I just thought of something that I find so silly. Everytime you make a purchase at Babies R Us or Toy R Us they ask if you need batteries. Um, I am buying a gift card. I think we'll be okay. (-:
(I know they have to ask but it makes me laugh every time.)

FWIW, Starbucks started in '71. Peets Coffee started in '66. People that were adults when those places opened could have easily become fans of it, and those people are now getting up in age and could be part of the MOW program. My mom would have been 66 by now, and she started drinking Peets as soon as she could afford it, in her 30s. If she were alive and part of the MOW program, I'm sure she would really appreciate a bag of gourmet coffee.

As for nutrition...it's actually quite an interesting medicine. Just one example, if I can get a cup of strong black coffee at the very beginning of an asthma attack, it almost always staves it off. It's very powerful as a medicine, but without the homicidal, shaking side effects that albuterol causes in me.
Really?

Mouse House Mama said:
I don't think any organization should be able to be set up like that. Some youth drug organizations do the same thing. IMO they should be 50 feet from the entrance. If you want to donate you can and if not you shouldn't have to worry about running them down with your cart trying to get out of the store. YMMV.

Me too! At Sam's the other day there was a youth softball team in front of the store, and kids with buckets were walking up to people and Literally shoving them in people's faces to ask them to donate for a trip of some sort. I'm sorry that I don't want to donate to your children's extra-curricular activities :confused3. They could have at least done a car wash or something to actually earn the money, you know?

Yeah, I know that sort of stuff is definitely annoying, but I hope people keep in mind that retail employees HAVE to ask that stuff. As someone mentioned before, the store I work at also tracks my sales of our store card, and if I'm not selling a lot the manager watches me to see what I'm doing.
It's a HUGE pain in the neck and I wish I didn't have to do it, because I know how annoying it is.
I just hope that when you guys get asked a million questions like that you keep in mind that it's probably a pain for the cashier to ask them :thumbsup2
(and in my store we don't get any sort of commission or reward for selling a lot, we just get in trouble if we don't :rolleyes:)

Do you have a Borders reward card?
Do you want to upgrade to a Plus card?
Do you need any gift cards?
Do you want to donate a children's book to Ronald McDonald House?
Do you need a gift receipt? (I was buying a magazine!!!)
Do you want to donate a bag of gourmet coffee to Meals on Wheels?
Do you need a bag?

Holy Hannah! I've had job interviews with less questions!!!
This is a huge reason why I'll do the U-Scan at the grocery and buy most of my books online. I really don't feel like wasting my time turning down all the solicitations.

Exactly. I don't want to give the spiel any more than the customer wants to hear it, but I have to. I've had people interrupt me mid-sentence. Heck, even mid-word. Talk about rude - I would never do that to someone. I must add, however, that I never say "Are you sure?" after my offer has been refused. One rejection per customer is enough for me!
I suppose it isn't just the interrupting but the manner in which it is done. Cutting me off mid-sentence to bark, "NO, don't bother finishing" is especially annoying. A simple, "No, thank you" makes all the difference.
You are in the minority when it comes to cashiers soliciting more business from me. I've gotten the "Are you sure? Let me tell you some more about the program" spiel more often than I'd like. Sometimes I just reach the breaking point when it comes to wasting both of our times - except you're getting paid to waste your time. Sometimes I just want to tell the person that they can tell me all about their offers but it's going to cost them $1.33 per minute.

I hate all the donations at the register stuff. I just want to buy my stuff and leave.
Exactly. I'm patronizing a store because you have an article I want to purchase. If you're going to make it a 'running of the bulls' experience every time I want to check out with my purchase, I'll stop going there. And I have. Most of my book and office purchases are now made online.

I had to put up with a Barnes and Noble spiel last month because I needed a particular book right away. When they asked if I wanted their stupid rewards card (it'll only take a minute) I said no, I mostly shop online.

"Well you can use it online!"
No thanks.
"You sure? You can save blah blah blah"
Yeah, I'm sure.
"I only tell you this because you didn't seem to know you can use it online."
NO!
OK. Did you want to donate to Jerry's Kids today?
Y'know what? Keep the book. I'll go somewhere else.
"No no! That's OK. Sorry. I had to ask. That'll be $25.37. If you had had the B&N rewards card, you would have saved $2.54 today."
- Evil Glare -

Whereas if you run it as a debit card, YOU get charged a fee!

I depends on your bank.

Really? What rip off bank do you go too. I never pay anything for using my Debit card. I use it like cash almost everyplace I go. I only write about 3 checks per month and almost never go to the bank. (Direct Deposit and On-line banking) Never a charge to me.

If I were you folks I would be searching out a new bank.:rolleyes1

You don't get charged for using the debit card. But some banks will charge for using your debit card as a debit (instead of as a credit). The bank gets charged for every debit purchase (when the customer has to enter a PIN), so sometimes those fees are passed along to the customer. If you use your debit card as a credit (you have to sign your name), the bank gets fee income from that.

It's better for the retailer if you use debit and it's better for the bank if you use credit. Either way, someone is paying a fee. There was a huge fiasco a while back where Wal-Mart would not allow you to use your debit card as credit. They've since changed that policy.

Yeah, I know that sort of stuff is definitely annoying, but I hope people keep in mind that retail employees HAVE to ask that stuff. As someone mentioned before, the store I work at also tracks my sales of our store card, and if I'm not selling a lot the manager watches me to see what I'm doing.
It's a HUGE pain in the neck and I wish I didn't have to do it, because I know how annoying it is.
I just hope that when you guys get asked a million questions like that you keep in mind that it's probably a pain for the cashier to ask them :thumbsup2
(and in my store we don't get any sort of commission or reward for selling a lot, we just get in trouble if we don't :rolleyes:)
I know, and I get that you have no choice. And I try to be polite.

But the stores have to realize that these kinds of questions are becoming akin to the telephone solicitors: an unnecessary interruption to a person's daily life that appears to have absolutely no consideration whatsoever for that person and/or that person's time.

I don't mind the one question at checkout (which, IMO, should probably be something along the lines of "Did you find everything you needed?" or "How will you be paying for that today?"). I do mind the 20 questions about signing up for this and donating for that and while you're here do you want to buy a time-share? It'll only take a minute!

When enough people stop buying those last-minute BS things and then stop patronizing the store, maybe the company will get it through their heads to stop turning their cashiers - whose primary job should be to accept payment and make change - into salespeople with a captive audience.

Personally I hate the cashiers at dept stores who ask if you have their credit card. I say no. They say do you want to open one, you can save $$ today and 87 times in the year. Again I say no. And then I get, Are you sure? You don't want to save money?

NO I do not want your credit card. NO means NO.

Personally I hate the cashiers at dept stores who ask if you have their credit card. I say no. They say do you want to open one, you can save $$ today and 87 times in the year. Again I say no. And then I get, Are you sure? You don't want to save money?

NO I do not want your credit card. NO means NO.
OMG! :mad: Do not even get me started on the questions that people ask that are designed to make you say "Yes" like "You don't want to save money?" Yeah, like I'm a fool because I don't want to pay $25.00 to maybe save $4.00 this year?

Those questions used to really bother me until I decided that sounding like a bad person was better than being parted with my money (which is all these questions want to do). Whenever I get the call that says, "Can the disabled veterans (or the local police HAH!) count on your support?" I always say NO.

You don't want to support the local fire department?

No.

We're not seeking donations, we just want to send you literature about the Special Olympics. Can these special little Olympians, many with profound disabilities, count on your support this year?

Nope. And stop calling me.

I hate to break it to you, but she would have probably gotten a Good Job from her boss. I don't work at Toys R Us, but at another retailor. We have a whole list of questions we have to ask as we are ringing up a sale. And management watches us to make sure that we are. And we are encouraged to push certain things, even after being told No.

I hate doing it, but it is now part of my job, so I have to do it. Please don't take your wrath out on the one checking you out. If you don't like it, write the company headquarters, because they are the ones that make the rules. Maybe if people start complaining about it they will stop forcing the cashiers to play 20 questions with the customers. However, don't write your local store, they have no choice in the matter.

:headache:, I know that it must get old for you as well. I hate it when that happens to me as well. I just want to buy my stuff already:guilty:,Enough with the guiltiness(donate this for that and that for this) and DO this survey and you can win $$$$:rolleyes:, Has anyone ever won for doing a survey:confused3?

Besides, after having to go through all that, the last thing I would want to do is waste more time of doing a survey that you probably would not like the answers too:mad:. SN: You just wasted my time asking me all those questions and I'm not about to allow you to waste more of my time asking more questions about something that you most likely will not take into consideration:rolleyes1

LuvCuteBoys said:
I depends on your bank.
Well, thank you for letting me know I'm not completely losing it! :rotfl: Yes, the credit union where I've done my primary banking for the last twenty years or so DOES charge a fee for POS usage of my Visa-logo debit card. I'm aware of this and shop accordingly.

Thanks again, LuvCuteBoys!!!!!

Carly Roach said:
I know, and I get that you have no choice. And I try to be polite.

But the stores have to realize that these kinds of questions are becoming akin to the telephone solicitors: an unnecessary interruption to a person's daily life that appears to have absolutely no consideration whatsoever for that person and/or that person's time.
Somebody mentioned earlier that Barnes & Noble has a 'three minutes or less' policy for its checkout line? Stores that ask these multiple marketing/upsell questions should provide a Solicitation-free checkout register where the cashier won't try to get the customer to spend a single additional cent... and SEE how many customers opt to wait longer just to check out peacefully!!!

Pembo said:
Personally I hate the cashiers at dept stores...
Respectfully - after reading the entire conversation in this thread, do you actually hate the cashiers? Or do you hate the stores whose policies force their employees to try to get customers to sign up for the stores' charge cards?

Somebody mentioned earlier that Barnes & Noble has a 'three minutes or less' policy for its checkout line? Stores that ask these multiple marketing/upsell questions should provide a Solicitation-free checkout register where the cashier won't try to get the customer to spend a single additional cent... and SEE how many customers opt to wait longer just to check out peacefully!!!

Won't happen. We have actually been told to slow down when checking out customers so that we can fit all our questions in.:sad2:

It will never happen. Stories offer these cards and promos because they have found them to be PROFITABLE. For every three people that say no, there is one person that says yes. Multiply that by sales per hour/sales by day/sales by all stores combined and it makes the store money.

You might think that your rewards card at the grocery store was given to you for free. You may even enjoy going to that stores webiste and loading store coupons on it, but trust me, you are making the store money.

oh yes I hate that!
I was in toys rus a few weeks ago and the cashier asked if i wanted their rewards card, I politely said no. she continued " are you sure?" on and on.
I said no again, she still persisted.
it got to the point within a minute I was going to complain, I pushed my item even closer so she would ring me up and FINALLY she got the idea my NO MEANT NO!
sheeesh, I hate that.
it still irks me when I think of it, I should have complained about her.

I did complain to Toys R Us about this a few months ago, not that it stopped or anything. The kicker is that I bought batteries and the cashier asked me if I needed batteries. I hate this stuff, it's so annoying and honestly has made me shop more online than ever before.

Since when? Last time I used debit was at 6:30 pm. It's now 12:30 am. It's changed in the last 6 hours?

It's really up to the merchant. A lot of gas stations (ARCO being the biggest national brand) charge 45 cents per debit card purchase. They now have their own debit card that links to your bank account, and if you get that it's free.

As for banks or credit unions charging a POS fee, I know a few did, but there was such a revolt by customers they stopped around here.

Personally, I don't use my debit card at a merchant that charges a fee, and I'd dump my bank if they started charging. I dumped my bank in 1980 when they started charging for checking accounts.

I ended up consolidating all my accounts and credit cards at one bank. I don't have much available cash, but having my IRA's there means I never pay a fee for anything...checking, debit card, free safe deposit box, travelers checks, cashiers checks, notory public...every fee is waved (well except if I bouned a check I guess!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter