My Empty Fire Pit

kcmrlitz

Earning My Ears
We are currently at the Fort and we have had no luck finding local firewood for our little pit. Has anyone had any luck finding firewood nearby? We had to laugh yesterday as we went by Publix to see if they had any because back home they carry it out in front of the store. The Publix here had swimming floats in front :). It was great. We did manage to find some broken limbs and twigs laying on the ground and had a small fire last night. Any help is appreciated.

Kevin

Not too much firewood I've found for sale in Florida, maybe the Winn Dixie near the fort. Go down Hotel Blvd over by DTD (by the Hilton) and go to the end. Turn LEFT at the main road at the crossroads, down about a mile on your right. Anything available will be those small bundles and very expensive. Firewood from out of state is banned due to possible importation of insects/disease, it is not recommended hauling it from home but obtaining locally if you can find it.

Be sure your pit has a complete screen covering the top or the Disney PoPo will pay you a visit. They always have signs posted 365 days a year saying no campfires, however they really only ban them during drought periods. They do seem to be pretty strict about the screens completely covering the fire pit if they do check. You will find out pretty quickly if you happen to start a fire and it is during one of those drought periods!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the reply. I had heard that you shouldn't bring your own firewood so we didn't. And yes, we did use the screen on top of the pit. Several Disney folks came by and said hello but didn't say anything about the fire. I'll try that Winn Dixie but if not, I'll just continue to clean up the woods :thumbsup2. There are a lot of old twigs and limbs around our campsite. Thanks.

Kevin

We are currently at the Fort and we have had no luck finding local firewood for our little pit. Has anyone had any luck finding firewood nearby? We had to laugh yesterday as we went by Publix to see if they had any because back home they carry it out in front of the store. The Publix here had swimming floats in front :). It was great. We did manage to find some broken limbs and twigs laying on the ground and had a small fire last night. Any help is appreciated.

Kevin

Sooooo happy to see this post....we are heading down for two weeks in March and are finally bringing a fire bowl (full screen top) this year. It will be so nice to have a fire at our site for a change.

I have two recycling containers with scrap cedar lumber so hopefully I won't get in trouble for that stuff as it is not "real firewood" like split logs and such.

Wish us luck
!! :cool1:

Kevin

Worst case, check out Walmart and see if they have firelogs.

When we were there in January we found some at Lowes.

Winn Dixie near the fort. Go down Hotel Blvd over by DTD (by the Hilton) and go to the end. Turn right at the main road at the crossroads, down about a mile to your left.

YIKES!!! YOU'RE SENDING THIS GUY IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!

Take a LEFT at the Crossroads Shopping Center. Winn Dixie will be approx. 2 miles on the RIGHT! There's also an ABC Liquor store in front of Winn Dixie in case you need the hard stuff from following ElementCamper's directions and NOT finding the Winn Dixie! :lmao:

The easier way to get to Winn Dixie and avoid the unbearable stop & go traffic:

Upon exiting Ft. Wilderness, turn left on Vista Blvd; go approx 3 miles to where Vista Blvd ends at County Rd 535 (AKA Winter Garden-Vineland Rd.); turn right & take 535 approx 4 miles to SR 535 (AKA Apopka-Vineland Rd), turn left & get in right hand lane asap. Winn Dixie will be on your right in about a mile. On the way back just after you turn onto CR535 from SR535, hang a right into the Orlando Ale House Parking Lot & treat yourself to a good meal!:thumbsup2

YIKES!!! YOU'RE SENDING THIS GUY IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!

Take a LEFT at the Crossroads Shopping Center. Winn Dixie will be approx. 2 miles on the RIGHT! There's also an ABC Liquor store in front of Winn Dixie in case you need the hard stuff from following ElementCamper's directions and NOT finding the Winn Dixie! :lmao:

The easier way to get to Winn Dixie and avoid the unbearable stop & go traffic:

Upon exiting Ft. Wilderness, turn left on Vista Blvd; go approx 3 miles to where Vista Blvd ends at County Rd 535 (AKA Winter Garden-Vineland Rd.); turn right & take 535 approx 4 miles to SR 535 (AKA Apopka-Vineland Rd), turn left & get in right hand lane asap. Winn Dixie will be on your right in about a mile. On the way back just after you turn onto CR535 from SR535, hang a right into the Orlando Ale House Parking Lot & treat yourself to a good meal!:thumbsup2

Yep, when I said 'to your left' originally I really was trying to say turn LEFT at the crossroads and down about a mile on your right. It has been corrected, thanks.

I took about 20 nice pieces to the pup renters I had a couple weeks ago. They were really happy. I split about 100 logs over the fall and it dried out already and is burning well.

kcmrlitz - just wanted to say Hello to a neighbor!! I see you are from McDonough...I am right down the road from you...in Locust Grove.

Take a LEFT at the Crossroads Shopping Center. Winn Dixie will be approx. 2 miles on the RIGHT! There's also an ABC Liquor store in front of Winn Dixie in case you need the hard stuff ...

Really nice store, btw. DH and I were happy to find it this last trip. Great selection and good prices. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Oh, and the Winn Dixie is nice too. :rotfl:

Hello Locust Grove neighbors!!! It is indeed a "Small World after all" :dance3: We are now back from the Fort and we had only one night with a fire. Not because of the firewood situation but just because we ran out of time each night. Too many things to do!!! It was one of the worst weather trips that we have ever had. It was unusually cold and the rain was off and on but it was still a great trip :thumbsup2

I am excited to hear this as well...:rotfl: i was under the impression there were no campfires at FW - our first trip will be at the end of Sept. - we love our nightly fires with our hotdogs and smores and that was the one thing my DS was disappointed in.

Now excuse me for asking for clarification - do they provide the fire circle and screen cover or do we need to provide our own - we have a pop-up in a perferred loop.

(i will pack firewood - we have plenty here)

Thanks

(i do know about big campfire sing along but sometimes you just want something quite to relax to at the end of a long day)

kcmrlitz, Minnie&Mickey, Lyndria - so nice to see some "locals" here!:cool1: We got 6 inches of snow! very unusual....so pretty but glad it was just one day.. that's what I love about Georgia weather!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter