My Elderly Mother…

Her scooter arrives on Friday. We’re, ahem, she’s excited. I mentioned that we will need to customize it so it’s recognizable in the park. I also said we will put an Airtag on it.

We also watched a couple of videos on using ECVs in the park so she’ll know what to expect.

Lots of great advice here. Thank you! I will definitely do a picture filled trip report.

Have her take it out and practice a bit before you go. A store like Target or Walmart is a great place to practice by driving up and down aisle and getting used to the turning radius. Also practice backing it up a bit too.

There's a couple of rides where you need to use an elevator to get the scooter down to the proper level for the rides. This is in Epcot for Soarin' and Living with the Land boat ride. You don't want the elevator door to close on you before you get completely in. Be careful, here. Some people end up parking their scooter on the upper level and not using the elevator for the scooter; they walk it instead for these two rides.

Now, that you have the scooter practice taking it apart and putting it together. Also, get a feel for getting it in and out of the car, now. This will allow you to have less stress later on the trip if you get familiar with it all now.

Last edited:
I love this!! My mom has MS and it is always a concern for her to "keep up" with us when we do a trip like this. What kind of scooter did she buy?

I love this!! My mom has MS and it is always a concern for her to "keep up" with us when we do a trip like this. What kind of scooter did she buy?

She purchased a Drive Mobility Scout 3. It’s perfect for travel and easy to use! We’re going to take it to Costco tonight.

Good for you!
So glad you're taking her!

I took my parents, at age 83, back in 2013. I'm SO GLAD I did! They didn't want to take scooters as they were very mobile and mama walked a mile three times a week, AND on the first morning they came out, they had left the scooters in their rooms. We made them go back and get them.

They just couldn't quite imagine that much walking, crowds, heat and how it would combine with their age to create a new, unknown kind of exhaustion.

We were able to do most all the parks and they were fine at the end of the day. Those scooters were a game changer!

However, since they weren't used to scooters, there was a learning curve. Mama drove over my foot THREE TIMES and it was hard for her to maneuver crowds. Also, Daddy wasn't wanting to do the kiddie things like the beauty and the beast show.

You'll be so happy you did this. Make sure she has some kind of button on so folks give her all kinds of attention!!

Ok so we took my grandma with us when she 87 in 2019. Because she can’t drive, my aunt would rent a wheelchair and we’d take turns pushing her. We did make her constantly stay hydrated by drinking water and did make her get up and walk around a few times. Just to keep her circulation going. She’s also a very picky eater so we were pleasantly shocked she ate so well at certain places (Leaky Cauldron and Homecomin being the most shocking). It was easier to split meals with her sometimes.
I also recommend a fan and/or cooling towel and a hat. Also really plan on possibly going back to the hotel pool as that’s what my aunt and mom had to do a couple of times. The heat will get to you no matter what, and with certain medications even with a hat, sunscreen and staying hydrated my grandma would still get overheated.
Also, she knew her limits with certain things. She didn’t go on certain rides and was pleasantly surprised by others. Also at La Hacienda, because she doesn’t like Mexican food, she asked for the kids chicken fingers with rice and a side of green beans and they graciously accommodated her.
But my biggest things would be a scooter or wheelchair and hydration

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter