My DAS Experience & Tips

... I have written my needs down but my phone I might have ...
Your request at the ride would simply be for a DAS return time. No extra words about needs, etc., which would confuse the CM. If you needed to write it down, paper is better than a phone screen. A lot of fumbling occurs when using a phone and it is better if a CM does not have to see or wait for that to occur.

It would be normal to wait a few minutes for a crowd around the ride CM to dissipate into the standby queuing area (or wait a few minutes for others already around a kiosk CM to have their questions answered). Now if the CM asked you to move aside, now is the time to ask for the DAS return time, ahead of others still milling around.

Last edited:
Your request at the ride would simply be for a DAS return time. No extra words about needs, etc. If you needed to write it down, paper is better than a phone screen.

It would be normal to wait a few minutes for a crowd around the ride CM to dissipate into the standby queuing area (or wait a few minutes for others already around a kiosk CM to have their questions answered). Now if the CM asked you to move aside, now is the time to ask for the DAS return time, ahead of others still milling around.
I do the best I can with my disabilities and I do not write very detail down ( I really can not with how hard it is for me to spell grammar and I have a hard time even communicating my needs and what I am thinking out load and even harder written) with that said there are things you miss understood I did not type right but I will just say that was a bad experience that left me out of it for the rest of the day ( and this was 10:30-11 am) the next day I was better but not all the way

I will adjust with what every Disney dose. But to say the kiosk give an advantage is wrong yes to some it might but my point was to point out that for some it dose not. My point was that some ride area are just too crowded some time just getting to the ride is hard. For some just seeing a ride and not going on is hard. I have no problem telling the CM why going to the ride it self is harder some times impossible for me ( with out having hour long meltdown and not being able to even be in the parks ). I have no problem with them not taking the 10 minute wait time off ( I normally do not show up right away any ways). This is why I have suggested that people let Disney know why the kiosk have helped them and why they were able to do things they were not able to before Disneyland has them and if they keep them then they are not paying more CM at all.

Your request at the ride would simply be for a DAS return time. No extra words about needs, etc. If you needed to write it down, paper is better than a phone screen. A lot of fumbling occurs when using a phone and it is better if a CM does not have to see or wait for that to occur.

It would be normal to wait a few minutes for a crowd around the ride CM to dissipate into the standby queuing area (or wait a few minutes for others already around a kiosk CM to have their questions answered). Now if the CM asked you to move aside, that is the moment to ask for the DAS return time ahead of others still milling around.
Sorry you do not understand what I am saying and that is ok you do not have to understand what I was saying or my disabilities

Whatever they decide to do, they need to be consistent. While I agree that using the kiosks adds another level of advantage, which in turn makes the DAS more attractive to those who would abuse it (getting one without a real need, etc.), I can see where it might help some people.

The much greater advantage is being able to ride other attractions while waiting for the DAS return time...if Disney could figure out a way to prohibit that, the system overall would be more fair and provide an experience for DAS users that is more equal to what non-DAS guests experience.

So I just talked to someone at Disney ( he was with the disability area) while he said there has been no words on the fact that they are doing away with getting return times at the kiosk there was ( or in his words never ) any thing about being able to do it in the frost place and that is was always up to the CM on what they wanted to do

There was much more we talked about that I just will not go into. But like I have been saying I would strongly suggest email Disney about your experience and how it has helped you

We also talked about meet and greets thst do not have FP and how it should work for people that needed. I am going to try his suggestion my next visit and see how thing work.

Would y
So I just talked to someone at Disney ( he was with the disability area) while he said there has been no words on the fact that they are doing away with getting return times at the kiosk there was ( or in his words never ) any thing about being able to do it in the frost place and that is was always up to the CM on what they wanted to do

There was much more we talked about that I just will not go into. But like I have been saying I would strongly suggest email Disney about your experience and how it has helped you

We also talked about meet and greets thst do not have FP and how it should work for people that needed. I am going to try his suggestion my next visit and see how thing work.
Would you be willing to share his suggestion on the characters meets with out fast passes?

I could imagine a character meet or even a ride with no fastpass line but that admitted Disability Access System guests at the front of the line when their return times came.

There would need to be a Mickey head scanner at the front of the line to verify that the DAS return time had arrived (or that a DAS return time existed) and to cancel the DAS return time when that is used (honored)..

Would y

Would you be willing to share his suggestion on the characters meets with out fast passes?
Ok sorry about not posting what he said. I thought I did but did not.

He said for meet and greet that the DAS holder or someone in the party was too talk to the attendant about there needs and that there should be something in place ( we talked about my needs as an example and he said what should happen he gave me two things that the CM can do,) he also talked about a family with a child with the DAS where one parent would wait with the child and one would wait in line. he said if they just said no ( or we can not accommodate your type of thing) then to ask for a leader. He started to talk about them using a scanner for return times ( he was talking about a meeting he was just at and this was brought up) I replayed that that would be better for me because I tend to lose the return time card when I get then. I think at this point a relished he should not have said this because the conversation then changed quickly to and if the CM say they can not accommodate people with a DAS make sure you ask for a lead to help you then he went over the two ( there could be more) way that they could accommodate my specific needs at a meet and great ( inside ones and out side ones)

so basely you will need to let the charter attendant know you or someone with you has a hard time in lines and depending on what the need is will be what they do ( they might have you wait close by and then you will be the last group for that set time, they might have you come back at a given time they might have one member wait with the person with the DAS while the other wait in line and so those where a few thing he talked about

I hope this helps. if it does not then I would email Disney and let them know I plane to try this on my next trip and email Disney either way ( whether it worked and tell then it works or if it did not work and let then know this.

I could imagine a character meet or even a ride with no fastpass line but that admitted Disability Access System guests at the front of the line when their return times came.

There would need to be a Mickey head scanner at the front of the line to verify that the DAS return time had arrived (or that a DAS return time existed) and to cancel the DAS return time when that is used (honored)..
they do this for the rocket ride in Tomorrowland ( most of the time it is a hand written return time that the CM collect when you return only once or twice did the scanner work It sounded like the CM should have paper with then to give return times for but I am not sure for now it might be the houser system ( it might be what CM told you to come back at this time type of things )

Ok sorry about not posting what he said. I thought I did but did not.

He said for meet and greet that the DAS holder or someone in the party was too talk to the attendant about there needs and that there should be something in place ( we talked about my needs as an example and he said what should happen he gave me two things that the CM can do,) he also talked about a family with a child with the DAS where one parent would wait with the child and one would wait in line. he said if they just said no ( or we can not accommodate your type of thing) then to ask for a leader. He started to talk about them using a scanner for return times ( he was talking about a meeting he was just at and this was brought up) I replayed that that would be better for me because I tend to lose the return time card when I get then. I think at this point a relished he should not have said this because the conversation then changed quickly to and if the CM say they can not accommodate people with a DAS make sure you ask for a lead to help you then he went over the two ( there could be more) way that they could accommodate my specific needs at a meet and great ( inside ones and out side ones)

so basely you will need to let the charter attendant know you or someone with you has a hard time in lines and depending on what the need is will be what they do ( they might have you wait close by and then you will be the last group for that set time, they might have you come back at a given time they might have one member wait with the person with the DAS while the other wait in line and so those where a few thing he talked about

I hope this helps. if it does not then I would email Disney and let them know I plane to try this on my next trip and email Disney either way ( whether it worked and tell then it works or if it did not work and let then know this.

This is actually pretty much what I do at DL when dealing with M&G's where either 1) the line is going to be in the sun (the medicine I'm on helps whatever variant of the condition it is requires a medication with a warning about being in the sun) or 2) the line is too long for whatever reason to normally navigate. Last Halloween party I did before this year was pre me having a rollator by about a week or two. The last thing I wanted was to get a photo with Mickey and Minnie in front of the giant Mickey head pumpkin on Main Street. There were two people working the line which was I want to say at least 50 people deep even though it was getting close to party end. I walked up to them explained the situation, explained that I really wanted the photo but there was no way I could stand in the line without making myself sick especially this late in the party. After a short back and forth and bringing who I believe in hindsight was a lead in to the conversation, we basically came up with a system where I sat at a bench and as the line moved forward one of the CMs would motion for me to move to the next bench once enough people had cleared. Rinse and repeat until I made it to the front. I was the last one to get the photo of the night but I was able to do it without triggering my issue which for me was amazing. Now that wouldn't exactly work for you based on what I've read in your comments but it gives an example of it implementation at least.

I tend to avoid long M&G lines outside of the parties and this October will be my first party on either coast in three years. So I haven't really used it since then but I did have a talk with one of the attendants for Marvel themed Goofy and Pluto back in August since it was a line in the sun. Since they were about to go on break she told me when the next set would start and to come back right before it started since the lines are usually pretty short then so I woudn't have an issue.

So I will have to see how well it works again since I may need it for some of the longer lines that don't dispurse since the characters rotate out. But this is super helpful to know when dealing with the extreme lines for rare characters.

This is actually pretty much what I do at DL when dealing with M&G's where either 1) the line is going to be in the sun (the medicine I'm on helps whatever variant of the condition it is requires a medication with a warning about being in the sun) or 2) the line is too long for whatever reason to normally navigate. Last Halloween party I did before this year was pre me having a rollator by about a week or two. The last thing I wanted was to get a photo with Mickey and Minnie in front of the giant Mickey head pumpkin on Main Street. There were two people working the line which was I want to say at least 50 people deep even though it was getting close to party end. I walked up to them explained the situation, explained that I really wanted the photo but there was no way I could stand in the line without making myself sick especially this late in the party. After a short back and forth and bringing who I believe in hindsight was a lead in to the conversation, we basically came up with a system where I sat at a bench and as the line moved forward one of the CMs would motion for me to move to the next bench once enough people had cleared. Rinse and repeat until I made it to the front. I was the last one to get the photo of the night but I was able to do it without triggering my issue which for me was amazing. Now that wouldn't exactly work for you based on what I've read in your comments but it gives an example of it implementation at least.

I tend to avoid long M&G lines outside of the parties and this October will be my first party on either coast in three years. So I haven't really used it since then but I did have a talk with one of the attendants for Marvel themed Goofy and Pluto back in August since it was a line in the sun. Since they were about to go on break she told me when the next set would start and to come back right before it started since the lines are usually pretty short then so I woudn't have an issue.

So I will have to see how well it works again since I may need it for some of the longer lines that don't dispurse since the characters rotate out. But this is super helpful to know when dealing with the extreme lines for rare characters.
Thanks for sharing your example. From what the CM son the phone said it sounds like they did the right thing ( accommodated you so that you could do the meet and greet and from what he said he was saying they like to keep you close to the line if they can ). I am hopeful it works out on your next trip.

I have an example my self I totally forgot about.

It was either last year or the year before. I was with a friend and she wanted too meet Santa at HS the kine was fairly long ( I want to say 30-45 minutes) and there was no way I could do this. My friend talked to the characters attendant and she has be wait out of the line ( I was able to be pretty much any where walk around use the bathroom) then when my friend got right in front of the door that is when I got in line. The character attendant was very good and made sure I understood that there was a small line inside that should only be 5-10 minutes) this was a huge help for me because how the line was you could not tell how much further you had to go until it was your turn

I am technically still on my last day and wanted to provide some updated DAS info.

Party: Myself plus 7 guests

AK: At Guest Relations I was told to go to a Guest Experience (blue umbrella stand) person. She was after the Oasis. They set me up in under 5 minutes. AK had plenty of Guest Experience stands and they would give me return times for any ride, and the FP line cast members with iPads would give them for their rides. For setup, I had everyone’s magic bands in my hand ready to go and she seemed to really like that I did this, as the iPads can be finicky and it was easier for her.

MK: A Guest Experience stand in each land. We were told by one (who still gave us the return time) that GE isn’t supposed to issue return times, and soon it’ll be enforced that you can only get them at the ride you want them for, but any member of your party will still be able to fetch it. We had some success getting return times for another ride by going to the FP cast member at the ride we just exited. So if you’re on your way across the park to get a return time, you may as well try at other rides along the way. Some said they could only issue for their own ride. It was fairly inconsistent but still convenient when it worked. I did see the say no to me but do it for a mom alone there with her child who was in a wheelchair, so I think they will rightfully make exceptions to this.

Epcot: There are no Guest Experience stands here. I didnt see anyone walking around with iPads, only at lines. We only utilized it at Frozen and had zero issue with it.

HS: The placement of the GE stands was really convenient, only 4 but at sensible places. We did get grief here about return times for over 6 people once, but they were kind and still did it for Toy Story Mania. We also got it easily for Slinky Dog for 8, no questions.

Galaxy’s Edge: Zero issue using DAS for just my husband and myself, but saw someone else be told the max will be 6 as that’s what the ride holds, and not 8 unless the DAS holder comes back out and gets another return time. This makes sense considering it’s for the purpose of the DAS holder getting to experience the ride with their family/friend/loved ones. They were angry but it’s totally reasonable. I didn’t even expect to get 8 on my DAS, period. This was the best thing I used the DAS for because I found the hallways and cattle holding rooms quite nerve wracking. It made that ride waiting experience go a lot faster.

My experience: I won’t go into it too deeply because I will get emotional, but it truly changed my trip and allowed me to have a full Disney experience just like I see so many other people have. I have to take longer breaks than my family members and this ended up being okay because now I was doing it during time they would otherwise be standing in line. They got to rest, get snacks, shop, walk around, go on no wait attractions while I did what I needed to do to feel 100%. I didn’t feel like a burden for the first time ever.

Disney was in a word, AMAZING in this regard. I got zero guff, I felt no judgment, and the concept of being able to say “can I get a return time?” eliminated any and all calls of attention to what I was doing. Well, once a group of guys got very irritated because Smuggler’s Run is not doing Fast Passes. We got a few comments as our line passed the standby. Other than that, people just assume you don’t know the correct word for fast pass or something. I heard one person mumble “you know it’s $500 a day to skip the lines” to her friend and that was kind of funny.

In any case it certainly and rightfully isn’t skipping the lines, so if there’s a good planner in your group in terms of time management, have them plan the DAS just like FP’s. We were able to be strategic about handling our ‘waiting time’. We did a lot of ‘let’s let this person who doesn’t want to go on this ride go ahead and get a return time for Slinky Dog while we ride this ride, then we will all eat lunch near Slinky while we wait’. The first day we didn’t do this and did a lot of walking all over the place.

I figured in the regard of planning this long winded post would be helpful! If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask! I have a long drive tomorrow and I’ll try to check again tonight too.

I have MS and will be going for the first time. I rely on a walker and cannot stand too long. What kind of info did you give them to get DAS? I don’t know how much to tell them.

I have MS and will be going for the first time. I rely on a walker and cannot stand too long. What kind of info did you give them to get DAS? I don’t know how much to tell them.

They will ask you why you can't wait in the lines. And you will tell them what your specific issue is. If it is a mobility issue, they will tell you to rent a wheelchair or ECV and will not give a DAS.

You will need to go to GR and tall them about your concerns for the line and why you can not wait in a normal line the DAS only gives you a place to wait outside the lines not a place to sit while waiting or somewhere that is cooler to wait. If you need to sit you will need to bring something your self like a wheelchair ECV or roller. just because you have a mobility device does not mean you need a DAS and also just because you have a mobility device does not mean you can not get a DAS. if you need moving walkways slowed or stop then this is something you need to talk to the CM at the ride no DAS needed for this ( peter pan and the people mover can not be stoped). if you need to stay in your wheelchair or ECV then this is also something you will have to talk to the CM at the ride for no need for the DAS

we also do not say what we said to get whatever accommodation as everyone if different just think about your concerns for the line and let the CM know what they are so they can better assist you and what you need. and do not be scared to use any tool that will help you with your vacation.

I have DAS, but didn’t use it. The blue umbrella areas were very crowded with people waiting, and one of my issues is that I can’t be around people like that. It seemed like one CM at the stand, sometimes two, but lots of people around them. Maybe they were all with the DAS person, maybe not, but it meant that I didn’t approach at all. I was alone, and didn’t have a ‘runner’ to help me out though.

I pictured more of a line but it was people milling around the entire area, grouped around the stand. I just couldn’t do it. :(

I have DAS, but didn’t use it. The blue umbrella areas were very crowded with people waiting, and one of my issues is that I can’t be around people like that. It seemed like one CM at the stand, sometimes two, but lots of people around them. Maybe they were all with the DAS person, maybe not, but it meant that I didn’t approach at all. I was alone, and didn’t have a ‘runner’ to help me out though.

I pictured more of a line but it was people milling around the entire area, grouped around the stand. I just couldn’t do it. :(

Was this at DL? Because at WDW, you can get your DAS at each attraction.

No one here will give you a "script" - you, or someone in your party only has to be able to articulate *why* you can't wait in a mainstreamed line. You don't have to discuss anything else - just why you can't wait in line.

Not everyone who wants one gets a DAS, and not everyone who needs one uses it. If you have a mobility device, you may find that your needs are largely met by that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter