My Cruise Parter May Cancel on Me

Skippyboo

DIS Veteran
I am cruising on my first ever cruise on the Disney Fantasy on Nov 25- 7 nights Christmas Eastern Caribbean. Everything is paid for I purchased trip insurance, I am going with my friend/coworker. Her mom is having heart issues and she has medical decision rights for her. Hopefully, her mom will be okay but if not she indicated that she will have to back out.

What can I do in that scenario? I would still go on the cruise since it’s paid for.

If you purchased trip insurance for both of you, they should be able to refund her airfare if she provides documentation of her mother’s illness.Typically, the stateroom costs the same for one guest as for two, so that price won’t change. Another option would be to contact DCL and see if the cruise can be rescheduled for a time in the future, when, hopefully your friend’s mom has recovered. If you decide to take the cruise solo, there are plenty of activities onboard for mixing and meeting people.

Is the trip insurance through DCL? Or a third-party? It can make a difference in what may be refundable. DCL insurance will not cover airfare or any other portion of the trip that is not booked directly through DCL. Third-party insurance coverage will vary and depends on what you included to be insured.

Call the insurance and ask what happens if cancelling only 1 person. As PP points out, technically the fare won't change. DCL will automatically refund any taxes and port fees related to the 2nd passenger, but the base fare remains the same. You may need to have a conversation with your friend about this unless you plan to reimburse her fare yourself to cruise solo.

If you have a potential "replacement" friend, you might see if DCL will allow a name change. Often that can be done for a small fee (maybe $50), then the new friend can reimburse the old friend for the fare+taxes/fees. Airfare likely would need to be re-done for the new guest.

I hope you friend's mom is doing better!

Cruising solo is great! Relax and do only what you want to do. I’ve taken several cruises by myself but I will be with my family on the 11/25 Fantasy as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter