My crazy Christmas Eve/Day plans at MK - evaluate my plan??

KimP5

Earning My Ears
Hello! I'm full on nutso, and planning on going to MK on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Would appreciate any advice on my touring plan (used Lines to help). Party is myself, DH, and three girls, ages 14, 11 and 4.

Day 1: EMH 8:00-9:00 - park closes midnight
1. 7 Dwarfs Mine Train
2. Ariel @ Grotto
3. Dumbo
4. Barnstormer
5. Mad Tea Party
6. Big Thunder Mtn
7. Splash Mtn
8. Peter Pan's Flight
9. Small World
10. Pirates
11. Lunch @ Liberty Tree Tavern
12. Sorcerers of MK
13. Pooh
14. Hall of Pres
15. Country Bears
16. Tom Sawyer Island
17. Mickey's Xmas Parade
18. PhilharMagic
19. Cindy & Rapunzel @ Princess Fairy Tale Hall
20. Enchanted Tales W/ Belle
21. Carrousel
22. A&E @ Princess Fairytale Hall
23. Under the Sea
24. Wishes
25. Main St. Electrical Parade

Day 2 - Christmas Day - EMH 8-9, park closes @ midnight
1. Tomorrowland Speedway
2. Astro Orbiter
3. Space Mtn
4. Buzz
5. Tinkerbell @ Town Square
6. Haunted Mansion
7. Magic Carpets of Aladdin
8. Jungle Cruise
9. Monsters Inc.
10. PeopleMover
11. Lunch @ Tony's Town Square
12. Meet Mickey @ Town Square
13. Swiss Fam Treehouse
14. Enchanted Tiki Room
15. Captain Jack's Tutorial
16. Pirate's Adventure game
17. Christmas Parade (if we want to see it again).

Dinner res @ Artist Point @ 9:00pm

My concerns: FP+ aren't figured into any of this as yet - not sure how that will work at busy holiday time. What would be your suggestions on which FP's to try to get?

Should I move around what I'm doing during the EMH's from 8-9 each day?

No scheduled breaks, and only meals are the ones we have res's for - will need food and breaks. I am, however, afraid to leave the parks mid-day for a longer break despite a 4 year old, for fear we won't be able to re-enter MK.

Also, are these the best things on the best days?? The Lines ap has me done an hour or two before we need to leave the park both days, but I'm figuring that time will be eaten up with un-scheduled meals/breaks/snacks and/or longer waits than it seems to be anticipating.

Also, am trying to change lunch on Day two from Tony's to BOG with the fast pass lunch thingy, but I think I'm too early to do that? I'm not certain how exactly that works. Is that considered a sit down/table service meal or a fast meal? We have the regular (one of each) "free" disney dining plan.

And then finally - the longest wait Lines is anticipating is A&E at something like an hour and a half. I read here that there are rumors of A&E at Akershus, and we do have a res there on our Epcot day. If those rumors come to pass, we'll be dropping that character visit for sure.

Thanks for any input/suggestions! I know I've lost mind, but have decided to just go with the flow and enjoy the crowds. LOL!

Unlikely you will be able to get A&E FP+ scheduled early in your trip, if at all. I just booked it at 00:02 am today, for a trip beginning October 10th (ie right at 60 day window.) it was unavailable for 61 days out, but it was available for 65 days out.

Without any comment as to whether meeting A&E is "worth it," it is clearly the highest FP+ priority at MK because it has the consistently longest lines. Following that are 7DMT and Space Mountain.

Since the whole point of FP+ is to save time out of waiting in lines, use it to avoid the longest lines at each park.

I don't want to rain on your parade but I have to be honest. This looks unrealistic. I have been there on Christmas and it is crazy. On main Attractions we have seen lines of over 3 hrs. A&E meet and greet will be no exception. MK do close to capacity but it opens back in the afternoon. I. Your best option is to go rope drop but still you will find that lines are double than expect it. Make a list of priorities and go from there. Don't trust an app or a website because Christmas Day is out of the norm. It will be crazy crowded and very difficult to move from one place to another. Make sure to do your priorities first two hrs in the morning and take it from there. Good Luck!

Unfortunately this is unrealistic for when you are going. Your app tries to find the ideal scenario, and everything is far from ideal on those days. I would make a priority list with your daughters and not try to do everything. I would still use your Lines app to decide best times to do your prioritized list.

1) FP+ the rides that have the longest lines and are most important to you, or do those rides first thing in the morning. Not sure what will be available to FP+, but if A&E and 7DMT are priorities and you don't get FP+, then do rope drop or very end of the day.

2) EMH is your chance to do attractions with the shortest wait times. Your current list looks like an app decided it for you. Each day I would go for top priorities that I don't have FP+ for. Rides that don't take much time are good because they help you squeeze in as much as you can during that hour.

3) You shouldn't have any problem with re-entry if you choose to, but I wouldn't leave the park if you want to do as much as you can. I love bringing my own stroller even for older kids, just for my own personal storage area, and the 4 year old can get a quick nap during the parade or while on the move.

4) It looks like most of the good stuff is on the first day. Likely won't get all that in one day anyway, but I would split up my prioritized list so that you don't do all the best rides in one day or ride your favorite rides on both days.

5) Lunch at BOG is considered a quick service meal. FP+ for BOG lunch can be made 60 days out at the Be Our Guest lunch website.

6) Good luck with A&E. Unless you somehow get FP+ for it, I would skip it. Hopefully by then Disney adds more opportunities to meet these two.

Use the Lines app as a guide for what you and your family want to do, and don't let it decide what to do or when to do it. Prioritize your own list and don't try to do everything is my best advice. If your plans don't work out, like you said, go with the flow.

I'm sorry, OP but there is no way you will be able to do all that over Christmas. I don't mean that to be snarky or to rain on your parade. Literally, MK is wall to wall people with huge lines for everything, even snacks and bathrooms. At a different time of year, yes the plan is doable but not on Christmas.

And then finally - the longest wait Lines is anticipating is A&E at something like an hour and a half. I read here that there are rumors of A&E at Akershus, and we do have a res there on our Epcot day. If those rumors come to pass, we'll be dropping that character visit for sure.

On Christmas Eve and day I expect to see that wait time triple.

So has anyone used the Lines ap and or Touringplans.com then? I'm curious about this - it has the days factored in as well as estimating crowd levels as 10 out of 10. Also, this was pretty much based on their two day holiday plan - so the whole thing is supposed to be calculated based on Holiday crowd days...

Haven't used those and have used Ridemax - not sure what they would say. But it is unrealistic to accomplish that much in the park on those days. If you have FP+ for the hardest rides and you plan on rope dropping you will get more done. However, you must camp for all shows and parades at least an hour on these days. Moving through the park after 11 becomes like trying to swim upstream due to the heavy crowds (they will most likely close the gates for capacity around 10-11am). How long is your trip? MK is heaviest on these 2 days over the other parks during that time frame.

There plans imply that you are going from attraction to attraction without stopping to do much of anything else. Have looked at the plans on easywdw? Besides a plan Josh gives you an explanation on why.

As everyone else has said, the plans are pretty unrealistic. We've never done that much on a slow day in January. Your 4yo will probably be out cold by 6-7 o'clock at that pace.

Hmmmm not a chance dear....but your there I'm not and I'll be jealous!! Really thats a command:)o task to do. Be happy if you can do 50%

I would take a long look at the list and pick your TOP three Attractions that you CANNOT live without doing before you leave.

It will be so packed at MK you will be able to touch people without reaching out. You are at the busiest park during the busiest time.

I am talking 2 to 3 hours wait for most rides. Not to mention the long waits for restrooms and Counter service restaurants. And Table service is booked months in advance.

I'm so sorry to burst your balloon.

Last April, on a crowd level 8/9, we did 19 rides/attractions between the hours of 10 am to midnight. It was me, DH, DD 16 and her friend also 16.

Last April, on a crowd level 8/9, we did 19 rides/attractions between the hours of 10 am to midnight. It was me, DH, DD 16 and her friend also 16.

Christmas Eve and Day is a different beast. Well the whole week of Christmas and NY is. Been at both times.

As others said, these plans are a bit much. Are you ONLY going to be there for those two days or something? Spread things out a bit more, especially for the sake of your 4-yr-old. Remember that there will be parades blocking up a lot of routes, difficulty getting through foot traffic, LOTS of noise and visual stimulation, etc.

Angle for those Anna and Elsa FP+s (if you HAVE to have them). Don't try to get them all at once. Stay dedicated on updating the times, and get 1-2 FP+ at a time, then focus on overlapping those as much as possible. Prioritize your kids and then one of the parents, since they can't get in without you. Do it at midnight as soon as you can, and work swiftly. If possible, get your husband or eldest kid on a separate account and in on it, to double your chances. After that, prioritize whatever other 2 things your family can't live without for your FP+s. Space them widely throughout the day (if they are far away from each other) so you are sure to get to them despite parade crowds and rerouting.

Bring snacks and get ready for a lot of breaks. If you're determined to stay all day, definitely get there early and don't leave at all. Leave only if you don't intend to come back. I would not personally do both days as full back to back, as one or more of your party will likely get frustrated, cranky, and tired. And as we who have gone as families all know, all it takes is the one for the others to follow! :rotfl:

Take your list and mark down what you can afford to miss, and in what order. That way you can ditch one or more items if things take longer than planned. Definitely make sure people line up for the bathroom long before it becomes an emergency, and go before you leave if you're at a restaurant.

And most of all, don't think that you'll be "missing out" if you don't get in all those ride plans, or if things go sideways and you have to return early. Take a monorail to a deluxe resort (if you're not already at one) and relax in the lobby with all the decor. Most resorts have activities, cookies, and drinks all day, and it's a nice way to relax if the family gets too frazzled and has to stop the park-running.

Best of luck!

So has anyone used the Lines ap and or Touringplans.com then? I'm curious about this - it has the days factored in as well as estimating crowd levels as 10 out of 10. Also, this was pretty much based on their two day holiday plan - so the whole thing is supposed to be calculated based on Holiday crowd days...

I have used Touring Plans for an 8 out of 10 day with my wife, and we couldn't keep up with it, couldn't imagine trying to keep up with children. Then also figure Christmas and Christmas Eve are more like a 20 out of 10 day!

There is absolutely NO WAY you can accomplish even a fraction of what you have listed on those 2 days. It is simply not possible. I understand that you used Lines and other apps to plan, but all of our collective experience here on the DIS is telling you No Way Jose. Sorry
I agree with the plan to identify your 3 top for each day and try for those.
You need to plan on long lines for the bathrooms and for any Counter Service meals, drinks or snacks you want as well. Simply walking down the street is slow and crowded. It is a mess
Good Luck

I'm going to agree with everyone else not a chance with 2 caveats. First, I expect Disney to extend hours from 8:00 a.m. till 1:00 a.m. on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with EMH from 7:00 - 8:00 a.m. If you can open and close the parks you've got a chance. From 7:00 a.m. till 9:00 a.m. is prime touring time. From 11:00 till 1:00 a.m. is prime Touring time. From Noon till 9:00 (assuming they double up on MSEP) is going to be crowded like you've never seen before. This photo was taken January 2nd at 3:30 (so it was after After Christmas but still the weeks surrounding Christmas New Years).
2013-01-02_15-29-22_709.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

To show what a difference a few hours can make. This picture was taken the night before New Years Day (actually Jan 2nd) at 12:30 a.m.
There's no on in the picture.

If you can do it. I would get there at Rope drop. Figure 7:00 till 10:00 for prime standby line touring of headliners. The switch to attractions like Country Bears and lunch until time for the parade. After the parade head back to your resort and relax and sleep. Return to the parks about 7:00 and plan FP+ for early evening (don't plan on using fp+ early to get a 4th it's not going to happen). After the fireworks start hitting headliners you missed earlier in the day starting with Adventureland and continuing through Fantasyland (I'd hit the Tomorrowland headliners in the morning because they seem to keep longer standby lines later in the day).

Close the park, get up early then turn around and do it again the next day. Probably taking an even longer mid day break.

I was curious and checked touring plans to see if this was possible. You are correct and they say this is possible for Christmas Eve and Christmas. Unfortunately they are incorrect and WAY off on their calculations for wait times during this time. Lots of good advice on this thread, and if you can, contact touring plans and let them know how inaccurate their wait times are for these important dates.

This year we took a 4 year old with us, granted in the heat of late May. If we got there at drop rope, she was cranky by 4, impossible by 6 and total meltdown by 9.

She's a complete Tinkerbell fan but stood outside at around 9.30 screaming
"i don't want to see Tinkerbell!!! I want to go home!"

I'd rethink the whole thing taking into account a 4 year old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter