My beautiful girl went to the Rainbow Bridge

I had a really hard time when I lost my first dog. I read the book: Goodbye, friend by Gary Kowakski. It really helped:grouphug:

So sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. I was there almost a year ago, My boxer/shepherd inherited the shepherd hips and we finally took that last walk together. They become so much a part of our lives and our hearts.

She really was a real beauty.

Hugs and more hugs. What a beautiful girl. You gave her a wonderful life and she enriched yours. May your wonderful memories give you comfort. Peace and prayers.

I am so sorry Linda - Please know that I am thinking of you and your family at this sad time.

Barbara

Snappy and Ponygirl, that is a beautiful poem. Thank you for posting it.

And of course, Dan, for the Rainbow Bridge poem. I remember your giving me advice last time I went through this, and I've appreciated your posting that poem on so many pet loss threads over the years. Hard to believe how fast the years go by.

This is the one that's given me the most comfort this week, as this would be typical of her.

“I explained to St. Peter I’d rather stay here, Outside the pearly gate.
I won’t be a nuisance,
I won’t even bark,
I’ll be very patient and wait.
I’ll be here, chewing on a celestial bone, No matter how long you may be.
I’d miss you so much if I went in alone, It wouldn’t be Heaven for me.”

I associate cardinals with my dear MIL, who passed last year. Growing up a city girl, the only birds I ever really knew were pigeons :lmao: but through my DH and his Mom I got to know and appreciate all the types of beautiful birds that live around us. MIL especially loved cardinals, as do I. The summer I was pregnant and sidelined a bit I sat on my front porch and watched a beautiful cardinal pair who lived around my yard and played on my car's mirror in the driveway every morning. Well shortly after reading Snappy's post the other day, as I pulled into my driveway I was greeted by a beautiful female cardinal sitting and flapping her wings on the lampost. It was a little unusual as normally I see the male first, then the female makes an appearance. This time I didn't even see a male around, so that was kind of neat!

Good Morning :flower3:

I have a connection with cardinals, mourning doves, and butterflies. When I see any of them I get such inner peace and a slow smile like I have a secret The days I see all 3 are usually spectacular either that or they just remind me to look around & see the spectacular that was there and I might have missed it KWiM ?

Your poem reminded me Are you familiar with the "Cold Noses at the Pearly Gates" books ? I highly recommend

May you & your family have a SPECTACULAR day :goodvibes

Shoot, I lost a whole post. :headache:

Thank you, Ruthie - you too! (No, I'm not familiar with those.)

To end the thread, I just wanted, once again, to thank everyone for their beautiful words, condolences, PM's, etc. They've helped me a lot.

Goodbye my sweet girl. :angel:

67538e0a-48a9-4f8a-860b-ab650a61b3b5.jpg

Thank you for sharing your journey with your beautiful girl and all of the pictures
The last one especially perhaps may touch someone in a situation re- dog wheels
and how life can go on under different circumstances

Snappy and Ponygirl, that is a beautiful poem. Thank you for posting it.

And of course, Dan, for the Rainbow Bridge poem. I remember your giving me advice last time I went through this, and I've appreciated your posting that poem on so many pet loss threads over the years. Hard to believe how fast the years go by.

This is the one that's given me the most comfort this week, as this would be typical of her.

“I explained to St. Peter I’d rather stay here, Outside the pearly gate.
I won’t be a nuisance,
I won’t even bark,
I’ll be very patient and wait.
I’ll be here, chewing on a celestial bone, No matter how long you may be.
I’d miss you so much if I went in alone, It wouldn’t be Heaven for me.”

I associate cardinals with my dear MIL, who passed last year. Growing up a city girl, the only birds I ever really knew were pigeons :lmao: but through my DH and his Mom I got to know and appreciate all the types of beautiful birds that live around us. MIL especially loved cardinals, as do I. The summer I was pregnant and sidelined a bit I sat on my front porch and watched a beautiful cardinal pair who lived around my yard and played on my car's mirror in the driveway every morning. Well shortly after reading Snappy's post the other day, as I pulled into my driveway I was greeted by a beautiful female cardinal sitting and flapping her wings on the lampost. It was a little unusual as normally I see the male first, then the female makes an appearance. This time I didn't even see a male around, so that was kind of neat!

Beautiful poem. Heartwarming.

A poster shared the following about cardinals a few months ago.

Many spiritual people will tell you that a cardinal also represents death or afterlife. Reports from loved ones and hospice workers often state that a cardinal appears just before or after a death, or that a cardinal frequently visits or appears in dreams after the loss of a loved one. As a totem symbol, the cardinal symbolizes vitality. A balance of intuition, perseverance and strength, the cardinal is said to offer safe passage into the realm of personal power to realize one’s goals and dreams

The last one especially perhaps may touch someone in a situation re- dog wheels
and how life can go on under different circumstances
Yes. It is a fairly common problem, but people may not know there are options. I will say, though, that had there not been several of us here who could help out, it might be very difficult to manage, especially with such a large dog. (And even though we managed, it was quite difficult sometimes both physically and emotionally. You don't realize until it's over what a stress it brings to the household. Or you know it, but you think each week might be the last, etc.)

We probably had the perfect storm of several nutty, determined people, one a resourceful nurse, a supportive vet, financial resources and a home easy to get around. If one of those wasn't there, it might not have worked. And we constantly struggled with whether we were doing the right thing by her. But she let us know she remained willing and happy, was never in pain, and her zest for life remained strong, even up until the night she passed when she pulled herself over to the doorway chasing after the kids who'd run outside. It really is such a hard thing when the legs go but the rest of them is fine. (And as an aside, it was not her hips, it was her spine. But I think her incapacitation had taken a toll, as she got recurrent infections from inactivity, like UTIs requiring antibiotics, and she had begun getting a bedsore :guilty: which I knew had brought us to the last stage. As much as we tried to keep her on one side, she favored the other, and would turn herself that way every chance she got. As a nurse, it was maddening, lol.)

At any rate, if anyone has questions they can PM me, or I will respond to any threads about it. There are a lot of resources online, I found out, which were great. I didn't have as many with my dog last time. There are also now many new products available, like the nylon brace with handles that Velcros on and allows you to more easily help your dog walk when his legs are weak. (The old trick being a towel, which is awkward to hold.) There are also now many manufacturers of the wheeled carts for dogs (and other animals) with a range of prices, and I have seen pics of people who've fashioned their own. The Eddie's Wheels are great, though, as they're all terrain and enable the dog to go just about anywhere, and are very comfortable and user-friendly.

A poster shared the following about cardinals a few months ago.

Many spiritual people will tell you that a cardinal also represents death or afterlife. Reports from loved ones and hospice workers often state that a cardinal appears just before or after a death, or that a cardinal frequently visits or appears in dreams after the loss of a loved one. As a totem symbol, the cardinal symbolizes vitality. A balance of intuition, perseverance and strength, the cardinal is said to offer safe passage into the realm of personal power to realize one’s goals and dreams

I debated about starting a new thread for this vs. cataloging it here. I think, since they passed so close together, I'll put it here. Another touching story. I hope that my girl and Dukey have met up. (One of my GSDs also died of osteosarcoma, and it is VERY painful.)

I Died Today

I debated about starting a new thread for this vs. cataloging it here. I think, since they passed so close together, I'll put it here. Another touching story. I hope that my girl and Dukey have met up. (One of my GSDs also died of osteosarcoma, and it is VERY painful.)

I Died Today

Oh my God so touching so beautiful I don't know whether I want to kiss you or smack you That is probably the most touching thing I have ever seen in my life It belonged on this thread

There are no goodbyes Just Thank you and so long till we meet again

Hoping your girl, Snappy and Duke are running in the sun together, chasing squirrels and not a skunk like Snappy chased/protected us from years ago.

If they can't be with us they have the company of each other.

Thanks for posting the link to Duke's story. And thank God for giving us these sweet hearts to watch over us.

I Died Today

Oh my god, I am crying like a blubbering idiot. A friend of mine from work buried his dog on Friday, he was away adopting a baby and the dog passed while he was away. I am not sure if I should sent this to him or not, it is touching but I am still crying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter