My 16 Yo Son Is Flying With Relatives While We Drive-Security Questions

Beth D

DIS Veteran
For various reasons, our (soon to be) 16 year old son is flying to Orlando with relatives
while his Dad & I drive down. He is flying with his Grandmother, aunt and uncle, all on one reservation on Spirit Airlines.

He should be getting his drivers license next week (fingers crossed he passes), so I am going to bring all the paperwork for him to get a REAL id. I know under 18 don’t need to show id to tsa, but am concerned he will have difficulty since his last name is different than everyone else on the trip.

They are flying down a day after we leave, so we cant take him to the airport. Coming home is a similar scenario...

I’m looking for advice or suggestions from anyone with recent experience in this.....

Thanks in advance!

We had DD's friend fly along on a trip with us a few years ago when DD and friend were both 14, the TSA agent looked at the boarding pass to verify it was valid, asked the girls their names and their ages, and the girls replied and the agent handed back the boarding pass to each and said "have a good flight" and that was it.

You can get him an official ID from DMV for now. That way, he’ll have something to show. In any case, it can take weeks to get your Real ID. They can give him a hard time with the temporary license.

Don't worry he doesn't need ID and TSA doesn't care who is in the traveling party. Lots of families have different last names .....

I have traveled extensively with my dd's, their frieds, my nieces, nephew etc. and TSA only asks the travelers name and how old they are if under 18.

Agree with everything stated above. TSA will not care, as youth are not expected to have ID with them. If he has a passport and it would make you feel better, he could bring that along, but it is not necessary. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks everyone for easing my mind! If he doesnt have his regular id by the time of the flight, I will make sure he has his passport just in case...

For various reasons, our (soon to be) 16 year old son is flying to Orlando with relatives
while his Dad & I drive down. He is flying with his Grandmother, aunt and uncle, all on one reservation on Spirit Airlines.

He should be getting his drivers license next week (fingers crossed he passes), so I am going to bring all the paperwork for him to get a REAL id. I know under 18 don’t need to show id to tsa, but am concerned he will have difficulty since his last name is different than everyone else on the trip.

They are flying down a day after we leave, so we cant take him to the airport. Coming home is a similar scenario...

I’m looking for advice or suggestions from anyone with recent experience in this.....

Thanks in advance!
We've done this multiple times in the last few years - my teen nephew traveling with me and my oldest flying with different last named family. It won't be an issue and as soon as they tell tsa his age; they won't ask for id.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter