• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My 13 y.o. wants to help Santa....

minniemousememories

Mouseketeer
My 13 y.o. wants to help Santa bring gifts to younger siblings. I'm not sure how I feel about it without taking any magic away... Help! Should I? Shouldn't I? It would be a great help!

What do you mean bring gifts, like put them out under the tree after the younger siblings go to bed? If so, I was in the same position last year, and I let my dd help. She also served as look-out just in case one of her brothers came down the hall. The magic wasn't ruined, she was just as excited the next morning as she has always been, just a little bit more tired :laughing:.

I didn't let her put any of her own gifts out.

What do you mean bring gifts, like put them out under the tree after the younger siblings go to bed? If so, I was in the same position last year, and I let my dd help. She also served as look-out just in case one of her brothers came down the hall. The magic wasn't ruined, she was just as excited the next morning as she has always been, just a little bit more tired :laughing:.

I didn't let her put any of her own gifts out.

Yes that is exactly what I mean... How about help with wrapping?

Do it!! We faced this a few years ago with our oldest (ds, now 14). He no longer believed, but his 2 younger sisters did. It turned out to be such fun and now it is our tradition (although his younger sisters no nothing about it). It is fun for dh and I to share this time with him and he gets such a kick out of helping fill his sisters stockings and set out Santa presents. I let him help wrap the girls' Santa gifts, but don't let him see any of his Santa gifts or stocking gifts. I put those out after he goes to bed. He "pretends" to go to bed when his sisters do and actually stays in his room for about 30 min, then comes out to help us. It is one of my most favorite parts of Christmas, actually!

Do it!! We faced this a few years ago with our oldest (ds, now 14). He no longer believed, but his 2 younger sisters did. It turned out to be such fun and now it is our tradition (although his younger sisters no nothing about it). It is fun for dh and I to share this time with him and he gets such a kick out of helping fill his sisters stockings and set out Santa presents. I let him help wrap the girls' Santa gifts, but don't let him see any of his Santa gifts or stocking gifts. I put those out after he goes to bed. He "pretends" to go to bed when his sisters do and actually stays in his room for about 30 min, then comes out to help us. It is one of my most favorite parts of Christmas, actually!

That is very sweet! :lovestruc

I think you should. I have 3 younger siblings, and when I was around that same age, my mom started letting me help wrap the Santa gifts. We would stay up late on Christmas Eve wrapping presents, drinking hot chocolate (and eating the Santa cookies!), and talking. I will forever cherish that time I spent with her. The magic was not ruined for me...it made it better. :) I really enjoyed watching my brother & sisters open their presents Christmas morning knowing that I had helped make it special for them.

I wouldn't but thats just me.

Even though I know my DS (13) doesn't believe, he never actually voiced it and if he ever asked to help, I know I could never let him.

Everything is still hidden and wrapped when DD and DS aren't home and put out when they go to bed Christmas Eve.

Thank you all for you replies! Mine has come to me verbalized and pleaded to help... Started with the Elf and has had fun with those missions.

I'd let him help. I don't have kids yet, but when I was around that age I started helping my Mom with wrapping gifts and putting them out. I cherish those memories.

OP your DS sounds really sweet, not every older brother would want to help bring the magic to Christmas day for their siblings.

Thank you all for you replies! Mine has come to me verbalized and pleaded to help... Started with the Elf and has had fun with those missions.

I say since he's made it clear he'd like to help, then you should let him help. He's old enough...and I'm sure knows it's important to keep the magic going for the younger sibling(s?) or else he wouldn't have asked. I think it's great that he wants to help. :)

But, as others have said, leave his santa gifts and stocking gifts until after HE'S gone to bed. :D

We have a fairly large spread--oldest is 16, youngest is 5. When my older two stopped believing, I welcomed them to the "other side" of Christmas--helping to spread magic and good cheer to their younger siblings. Mostly, they give credence to the whole Santa story. DS14's favorite thing, though, is doing Elf pranks--he dearly loves setting those up and seeing the little guys' reactions in the morning. He's more into it than I am, at this point.

I wrap most of the presents ahead of time, but the older two do help me put them under the tree Christmas Eve. I stockings when they're not looking.

I must say, appreciating the more adult side of Christmas has prevented my older kids from ruining it for the younger ones, because they're invested in the traditions.

My oldest is 16 and he has been my helper the past few years. I do all of the wrapping but he brings all of the gifts downstairs for me once the younger ones are asleep. Then I place them all under the tree in my OCD way, which gives him and my DH a good laugh every year. He doesn't know everything the kids are getting (and neither does DH most of the time) so he stills feels the magic on Christmas morning when they are opening gifts. He also helps with our elf each night although I have done a couple of things geared toward him which I won't tell him about beforehand. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter