My 1 day fun trip turns into 3 days :( (1/16/24)

footballmouse

DIS Veteran
Introduction

Hello everyone, I'm Jenny, single mom of 3 grown boys, 1 daughter-in-law and 1 granddaughter. My kids don't travel with me anymore since they have to pay for themselves so I've been heading to Florida with a friend or two but I really wanted to go back to Disney. If that's where I was going to go, it was going to be by myself. About a month ago I found a flight with Frontier that left at 7:15 am and returned home at midnight that same day for only $38. I sometimes do product studies for P&G and I'm paid with a Visa gift card. I finished up a study in November that paid pretty well so I decided to use some of that money for my park ticket, saved the rest for my beach trip. Rolled my Disney Visa Rewards onto a card and decided to book the flight. I was really only paying for my flight and uber from airport. I was getting excited to go and I asked my Florida friends if they wanted to go with me (I really didn't want to go by myself). The one said she wasn't able to and the other waited until the day before and since the flight cost kept increasing she decided not to go, so I was on my own. Keep in mind that I can't eat in a restaurant by myself so I'm not sure what made me think I could do this.

Travel Day - 1/16/24
Tuesday came I headed to the airport at 4:30 am. I signed up for a free 3 month trial of CLEAR+ at the airport so that was helpful to get through security. Go to my gate and bought Genie+, since I was going to be limited on time I thought this was the best move. 6:00 came and I received a text that my flight was cancelled. I'm sorry, what? I looked around and nobody else seemed to be getting the notification. Finally one man said something so I spoke up and said my text showed it was cancelled, a lot of other people weren't notificed. I went to the main ticket desk and she did say that I could be refunded or be put on a 12:30 pm flight and a flight home the next morning at 6:00 am. I went ahead and took that flight, drove back home to get things reorganized. Text my kids to let them know of the change and asked my oldest to come over a little later to feed the dogs and let them out instead of stopping by after work. Called Disney and got a room at All-Star Sports for $119, I didn't think that was a bad price so I was okay with my decision to stay overnight. Made a ILL for Tron because I didn't want to miss out on that and I grabbed a LL for Peter Pan. Threw a couple of things in my backpack, let the dogs out one more time and then headed back to the airport. Security was a breeze and waited at my gate. Around 12:00 there was an announcement that the flight has been delayed until 2:30 pm. Are you kidding me! I knew that was not enough time to get through the park, nor did it make sense to pay $168 for a ticket for only 4-5 hours. I decided to cancel the whole trip. Texted my kids not to worry about the dogs, I was getting ready to drive home. I was on the phone with Disney to cancel the resort (nonrefundable but I was going to ask) when I started getting text from my kids to just go and stay all day tomorrow. I thought about it and realized that I did take the next day off of work, I already had a room, I just needed to get a flight for the evening. Still on hold with Disney, I ran up to the gate desk and asked about changing my flight to the evening. He said he could get me on a 9:45 pm flight out of MCO at no additional charge. Book It!!!! Disney comes back on the line and said he was able to cancel my room and refund the money, and cancel and refund my money for the ILL and Genie+. 😳 Um, thank you so much but I need to book a room again. I called Ticketing and had them move my ticket date to the next day and called Reservations back to book another room. This guy was on top of things b/c he got me a room at Sports again only this time is was $99. :banana: Thank you very much!!!!!! So I'm all set, return ticket in hand, room confirmation sent to my email and oh look, the plane is boarding. Off I go.

I've never used Uber or Lyft before so I was a little nervous navigating that but when I got to MCO I reserved a car through Uber (they were cheaper) and I was on my way to the resort. I haven't stayed here since my oldest (he's 29) was 4 and I was excited to be back. It's such a cute resort and I liked the upgrades to the room. My oldest said that he did remember the big footballs and baseball bats, my other 2 said they were jealous that we never stayed there when they went. I stopped at the desk and she gave me a card to use for my room key and my ticket since I mentioned that I was nervous using my phone. I wasn't sure how that actually worked. She was very helpful and I was off to find my room.

I decided that since I was all on my own I was going to eat somewhere that I've never been before. I was thisclose to heading to the Poly and trying their QS option but then I remembered the Riviera and the Skyliner. That's what I decided to do, head to Riviera to play on the Skyliner and then stop at Primo Piatto for dinner. Hopped on the first bus that was waiting so I ended up at Epcot and then caught a bus to the resort. Can I just say OMG the Riviera scent ... heaven!!!! I made my way over to the Skyliner and would you look at that, it's closed for the week. I completely forgot since I didn't have any plans to use it. Ugh 😕, might as well go get dinner. I decided on the Croque Monsieur with the Romano & Herbed Fries, very good but way too much to eat. Ate the fries and took the sandwhich back to my room. Grabbed a bus going to the Studios and then to my resort. It was actually very relaxing, the bus ride, the walk back to my room and just sitting there eating and reading a magazine. I couldn't wait to get into that wonderful bed. It was a queen bed but they had 8 pillows on there. It was sooooo comfortable. I slept great that night, no rolling around, didn't get up for the bathroom at all, I was just so comfortable.😴

Attachments

• baseball.jpg
    baseball.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 4
  • basketball.jpg
    basketball.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 4
  • football.jpg
    football.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 7
  • lobby.jpg
    lobby.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 5
Sounds like an adventure in the making! Can't wait to hear all about it! :)

Park Day - 1/17

Alarm went off at 6:00 am but there was no way I was going to get out of that bed, I was just too comfortable :cloud9:. I atleast grabbed my phone and bought my Genie+ for the day. Finally got up at 6:30, got ready and made my way down to the bus stop. I did stop at the desk real quick so they could double/triple check my card and make sure my tickets were in fact attached, they were. A bus was waiting for Magic Kingdom so hopped on that and we headed to the park just a few minutes later. I was excited that I was able to get early entry. I was at the park right around 7:30 and they let us in at 8:00. Of course I took a couple of pictures of the castle and I made my way back to go to Mine Train with the masses. Around 8:25 the dropped the rope and everyone flooded to the line. I wasn't sure where the line started and once I figured it out it just seemed really long to me and the hoards of people rushing and running to the end of the line, I was just flabbergasted :scared:. I got the heck out of there and headed to Space Mtn. I know this probably wasn't the best choice, I could have gotten a LL for it later in the day but that's they only place I thought to go to, BTM was down for the week. SM was a walk on so when I got off of that I made my way over to Frontierland. I stopped and picked up a Cheshire Cattail, this was on my Need to Get Snack list. First time I got it and it won't be the last, it was really good :). My plan was to stop at Gaston's for a LeFou's Brew but the line was way out the door so I figured I'd try again later in the day. Don't really remember the times or order of the rides but I made it to:
Space Mtn.
Tiki Birds
Jungle Cruise (LL)
Pirates (LL)
PhilharMagic
Small World (LL)
Tron (virtual line, 45 minute wait)
Haunted Mansion (LL)
Hall of Presidents
Buzz Lightyear
Monster's Laugh Floor
Country Bears
Riverboat ride
People Mover (2x's)
Astro Orbiter
Mine Train
Under the Sea (LL)
I never made it to Peter Pan, I changed my LL for something else during the day and was never able to grab another one. Pooh's line was always long and LL were gone by the afternoon.:(

Around noon I received a text that my flight at 9:45 pm has now been changed to 6:00 am. 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 !!!!!! What?!?!?!?!?!?! I already checked out of my room 🤬. Nothing I could do so I accepted the change and figured I'll deal with it later, I had to get to my HM LL (priorities, I know 😏). Realizied that I had until park close (10:00) now so I started to slow down and just meander around. I made my way back over to Gaston's by now (evening) and saw that the line wasn't bad at all but I decided to ride Under the Sea first. Well when I went back to Gaston's, it was closed. Seriously 😖! I guess I wasn't meant to try the Brew.

For my Must Get Snack list I ended up trying:
Cattail - loved it
Creamcheese filled pretzel - I would have liked the plain hot pretzel instead
Churro - one and done, didn't like it
Popcorn - obviously that was a must do
Loaded Chicken Strips w/fries - too much food, regretted it quickly. Wished I would have gotten the waffle sandwich
Huge Mikey shaped chocolate chip cookie dipped in chocolate - very good, took me 4 days to eat it. I managed to get 4 of these home as souvineers for the kids and 1 for myself. Out of the 4, only 1 ear broke.

I finished up the night going on People Mover one last time, I needed to sit down and take my shoes off, my feet were killing me. After that, I decided to knock a ride out that I've never been on, Astro Orbiter. Safe to say this is a one and done ride for me. At first everything was fine but then I realized how high I was and I panicked a little. My last ride was Mine Train. I jumped in line during the fireworks since the wait time was posted at 20 minutes. I was able to watch the fireworks and had a perfect view of Tink flying down.:tinker:

Attachments

• castle.jpg
    castle.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1
  • score.jpg
    score.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2
  • buzz.jpg
    buzz.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2
  • bears.jpg
    bears.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2
  • back castle.jpg
    back castle.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2
  • mansion.jpg
    mansion.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 2
  • tiki.jpg
    tiki.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 3
  • people mover.jpg
    people mover.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 3
  • tron.jpg
    tron.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2
  • fireworks1.jpg
    fireworks1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2

I am amazed at the details. How you remembered while running all over the park, is mind boggling.

I'm good for the flight down, got to the room at ..............and that's about it. I could tell you we went to MK day one, Epcot day two, went on rides. And we ate at some point. The end.

Day is Over, Now Where Am I Going to Sleep

My plan was to sleep at the airport since the flight was changed. I got to thinking that maybe they won't let me go to the gate so early 🤔. I guess I could have just found a seat at the front of the airport but I didn't know if there was any seating before the security check points. I decided to come up with another plan. By now MK is closing so I sat down to figure out if it was cheaper to get an Uber or Lyft from MK or the resort. Uber from the resort was cheaper so I jumped on a Sports bus. While on the bus I got a crazy idea to ask if I could just hang out in the lobby until 3 am. The girl at the desk said it was completely fine to stay and gave me a toothbrush, some toothpaste, and floss. Around 2 am after I was done people watching, I went in the bathroom and freshened up. My Uber came at 3:30.

Got to the airport around 4:00 and when I went to the Frontier desk to check in, I was told that I wasn't on the 6 am flight. OMG, this isn't happening 😭!!!!! This is where my rage for Frontier came into play. The ticket agent asked if I wanted to speak with a supervisor since there wasn't anything he could do. I of course, said yes. Instead of a supervisor another ticket agent came out about 15 minutes later. I said that I wanted to talk to a supervisor, not another ticket agent. He said if I wanted help then I needed to talk to him. A supervisor finally made her way out and the two of them were so rude, I just couldn't believe they worked in customer service. She told me that I never had a reservation on the 9:45 flight. Yes I did, the agent at the gate made the change and booked that flight for me (at no extra charge, thanks Cincinnati Frontier people). Then I showed her the email I received stating that my 9:45 flight has been changed. I told her over and over that I accepted the change to the 6 am flight. All she did was fold her arms and tell me "no you didn't, you were never on the flight." I could have screamed, I really wanted to jump over the counter and punch her but I knew that wouldn't have been the smart choice. I finally ended up paying for a 12:30 flight. I asked for the ticket agent's name and then I asked him what the supervisor's name was. He said he wasn't going to give it to me. I waiting 35 mintues before someone finally gave me her name. While I was waiting I watched another guy get yelled at because his suitcase was over the weight limit so he was taking things out. He asked if her could use any emply scale to check the weight and the ticket agent literally yelled at him and told him "no, get back in line". He said he wasn't trying to cut in front of anyone he just wanted to check the weight at an empty scale. She wouldn't let him.😳

Once I got the supervisor's name I made my way to the gate, sat down and just started crying. I was so tired, haven't slept since 6 am Wednesday morning and it's now 5:30 am Thursday morning, I wanted to go home, I was so frustrated, and I was hungry. I finally got home at 3:30 Thursday afternoon. I've never dealt with cancelled flights or even delayed flights before and boy was this a bad experience for my 1st experience.

I would definitely go again for a day but I think I would fly out later on the night before, take advantage of the early entry and fly home later that night. I was trying to cut down on the expenses but as you can see, it cost me way more than what I had planned on.

The Disney part of the trip was excellent :earsboy:. I can't say enough for the great customer service that I received from them. The park was fun, did so many things, maybe next time I would slow down a little. Resort was wonderful, definitely would stay here again. Never had a problem with the bus system, maybe waiting 10 minutes at the most for a bus maybe once.

Thanks for reading my first trip report!

So sorry for your flight woes. I’m sure I wouldn’t have been nearly as restrained. Your experiences reaffirm my decision to use legacy carriers for their more robust flight schedules—and to avoid air travel as much as possible.

I know you probably just want to forget all about the airline issues, but I HIGHLY recommend you file a complaint at https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint. Even if you cannot get any money back, when enough complaints pile up against one airline, the DOT can take action (meaning fine) against the airline. Hitting their bottom line is the only way to make them take notice and make improvements.

I really hope you reach out to Frontier and let them know about the terrible customer service. I don't know if I would have been so restrained. I'm sure I would have ended up on Tic Tock and been hauled off to airport jail.
I sent an email to Frontier's Customer Relations. I don't know if anything will be done or even if that was the best place to send the complaint to but I wanted to send it somewhere other than Frontier's MCO Customer Service. I didn't want the complaint to come across that witch's desk.

A friend of mine said her husband talked about a horrible plane experience he had with a different carrier on Twitter and actually got a reply from the airlines.

I am so happy that you had a very fun packed day at WDW. So sad to read about all the airline problems you had. I sincerely hope you get some satisfaction.

Good for you, though, you did it! :thumbsup2

Sounds like an awesome Disney day. Pretty cool that All Star Sports let you "hang" in the lobby. Sorry to hear about your Frontier airline experience. I've been toying with my sons taking Frontier flights to come visit us on the Disney portion of our April road trip. Think I may suggest they stick with JetBlue after your experience. With their jobs, they wouldn't have the flexibility if their flights keep getting changed/moved. Great first report!

What a nightmare with Frontier! I bet it took several days to catch up on missed sleep and stress. I'm glad you got a fun Disney time to balance out the rotten travel time.

ohhhhh my goodness. Reading this is giving me SERIOUS regret buying my husband's tickets for our trip next week on Frontier. The tickets weren't quite as cheap as yours (though now we know why!) but still the price was hard to pass up when Delta wanted $500 for a basic economy ticket- oof. I am crossing everything that he doesn't have a repeat of your experience, and I hope Frontier emails you back! I would agree with @Stacybaeasm & taking it to social media if they don't email you back.

Regardless of the travel issues I'm glad you still got your Disney fix (even though it probably wasn't ideal), how did you feel that you handled the alone-ness, since you said you can hardly tolerate eating at a restaurant alone? I am the same way so I'm curious to know your thoughts!

ohhhhh my goodness. Reading this is giving me SERIOUS regret buying my husband's tickets for our trip next week on Frontier. The tickets weren't quite as cheap as yours (though now we know why!) but still the price was hard to pass up when Delta wanted $500 for a basic economy ticket- oof. I am crossing everything that he doesn't have a repeat of your experience, and I hope Frontier emails you back! I would agree with @Stacybaeasm & taking it to social media if they don't email you back.

Regardless of the travel issues I'm glad you still got your Disney fix (even though it probably wasn't ideal), how did you feel that you handled the alone-ness, since you said you can hardly tolerate eating at a restaurant alone? I am the same way so I'm curious to know your thoughts!
I think I did pretty good being by myself. I was afraid I would look out of place being by myself but like so many people mentioned, nobody was looking at me. I only had to wait in a couple of lines thanks to Genie+ so I did okay there. Shopping didn't phase me and neither did the bus rides. I think if I had a sit-down meal that is where I would have felt uncomfortable. Being at the resort didn't phase me either since I live alone. I did miss talking with my kids after the rides. I kept thinking that they would have had fun on our favorites like SM and HM, and they would have loved Tron. They would have amused me by going to the Tiki Birds and the Presidents. I would definitely do this again, next time I would slow down and take in the surroundings more, that is a big regret from this trip but I was on a mission for the rides. I think the kids will make the trip in a few years with me.

Wow, as if going solo for the first time wasn't stressful enough! I would say you handled everything better than I would have. Hopefully your next solo trip will be a lot smoother. It sounds like you got a lot out of the one day, thank you for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter