• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MVMCP or CL Processional? if had to choose one

I'm curious what you hated about MVMCP. I'm going for my first time next month and wondering if there are things that would make the experience better or worse. Just curious!

In my opinion it was over priced for what you were getting and the crowds were worse than during the day. Main Street was so packed we couldn't even move let alone ride anything or get a picture with Santa. I feel the need to also say this was in 2006-7, so not a recent experience but enough to make me never want to go back.

I'm curious what you hated about MVMCP. I'm going for my first time next month and wondering if there are things that would make the experience better or worse. Just curious!
See my post.
The first time, I didn't hate it. Crowds were low, and everything went well, and I only bought two tickets.

Also important - I've been to WDW many times. Sometimes it is fun to repeat favorites. Other times, it is fun to try new things.

My second party was a larger group of WDW vets who usually enjoy late nights, but they'd never done a party. I thought they'd enjoy something they'd never done before, but they didn't.

It was expensive, cold, most the group was tired, whiny, more crowded, and one person was fighting a winter cold.

I've done both and I would choose the Candlelight Processional - I loved the music and focus on the season. Your kids might enjoy the party more though.

My thoughts on the party - Expensive and most of the decorations are only on Main Street. The parade and fireworks are nice, but the other shows are difficult to fit in the time alotted. If your schedule permits you a night in the MK on a non-party night I would say that's your better bet.

Neither? I've done the Christmas party. Even when the price was much lower, it wasn't really worth it.

Technically, I've never paid for the CLP, but we've walked by the show many times, and we're so glad we didn't pay to see it because we got bored inside of ten minutes. I also just find the concept of mixing highly commercial WDW and religious themes a little off. The rest of the Holiday fun in the WS is okay, but that show feels out of place to me.

The other big thing to consider is the non-refundable nature of either. The last time we bought tickets to a WDW party, my group didn't really feel up to staying for most of it. UGH!

Lesson learned.

I don't know your other options that night, but since the above fiasco, I've tried to stick with our most flexible/least expensive option, and that's always worked best for us. If you can hit EMH in another park that night, I'd go to the EMH.
Thanks for sharing your experience. That really helps! Although the party sounds fun , now I'm trying to decide if it would be worth the $500 for our family. I didn't think about the non refundable part of it either . thanks!

See my post.
The first time, I didn't hate it. Crowds were low, and everything went well, and I only bought two tickets.

Also important - I've been to WDW many times. Sometimes it is fun to repeat favorites. Other times, it is fun to try new things.

My second party was a larger group of WDW vets who usually enjoy late nights, but they'd never done a party. I thought they'd enjoy something they'd never done before, but they didn't.

It was expensive, cold, most the group was tired, whiny, more crowded, and one person was fighting a winter cold.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the party!

I've done both and I would choose the Candlelight Processional - I loved the music and focus on the season. Your kids might enjoy the party more though.

My thoughts on the party - Expensive and most of the decorations are only on Main Street. The parade and fireworks are nice, but the other shows are difficult to fit in the time alotted. If your schedule permits you a night in the MK on a non-party night I would say that's your better bet.
Very helpful- thanks!!

MVMCP.

We are doing both this year and haven't done either prior to this trip and I'm actually concerned CP will be boring.

In my opinion it was over priced for what you were getting and the crowds were worse than during the day. Main Street was so packed we couldn't even move let alone ride anything or get a picture with Santa. I feel the need to also say this was in 2006-7, so not a recent experience but enough to make me never want to go back.

See my post.

Very helpful! Thanks! :santa:

MVMCP.

We are doing both this year and haven't done either prior to this trip and I'm actually concerned CP will be boring.

I was concerned about the same thing. I’ve never done CP but I do like orchestra music so while I am not necessarily religious I do enjoy nice music and singing.

I've done both and love both. We are doing both this year, but with children, I would choose the MVMCP, hands down. I think your children would enjoy that much more.

I’ve done both and enjoyed both immensely. MVMCP will be very crowded but I love that parade! In November the crowds will be a little better. The CP on the other hand is beautiful, the music is amazing. However, your children may find it boring.

The Christmas Party is just awesome. And your kids are at the perfect age for it. We've done it twice, when our kids were 7 and 11, then 9 and 13. Yes, it is expensive. But for our family, so worth it. I tried to talk myself out of it on our last trip, only because I was trying to save money, and I just couldn't! I love it. It gets you in such a festive mood and Christmas spirit! We aren't huge character meet n greet people, but we do a few if those and then between the festive treats, Christmas parade, fireworks, snow on Main Street and 5 minute wait times on rides after 7...we have a fabulous time! I can't say enough great things about it. I've only had awesome experiences there and yes, we will do the Party again next year when we are back! I have only walked by the CP at Epcot, but it just doesn't seem like something my kids would love. I certainly wouldn't pick it over the Christmas party!:santa::santa::santa:

I have been debating the same thing. We have the dinner package at Beirgarten for the Candelight Processional with Neil Patrick Harris. We are catholic and my daughters both sing in choir and live music so I'm hoping that it will be ok. I can't justify an extra $400 for the Christmas party. This is a bonus trip for us ( wanted to get a third trip out of annual pass) and I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. We are planning to go to MK the day of the last party. I'm just excited to see Disney decorated for Christmas!

I have been debating the same thing. We have the dinner package at Beirgarten for the Candelight Processional with Neil Patrick Harris. We are catholic and my daughters both sing in choir and live music so I'm hoping that it will be ok. I can't justify an extra $400 for the Christmas party. This is a bonus trip for us ( wanted to get a third trip out of annual pass) and I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. We are planning to go to MK the day of the last party. I'm just excited to see Disney decorated for Christmas!
That's great that you get to see Neil Patrick Harris! I hope they enjoy it! When I showed a youtube video of CLP to my 11 year olds they said they definitely want to see it. They were especially interested since it is their first year of choir, band and orchestra.
Hope you have a great trip!

The Christmas Party is just awesome. And your kids are at the perfect age for it. We've done it twice, when our kids were 7 and 11, then 9 and 13. Yes, it is expensive. But for our family, so worth it. I tried to talk myself out of it on our last trip, only because I was trying to save money, and I just couldn't! I love it. It gets you in such a festive mood and Christmas spirit! We aren't huge character meet n greet people, but we do a few if those and then between the festive treats, Christmas parade, fireworks, snow on Main Street and 5 minute wait times on rides after 7...we have a fabulous time! I can't say enough great things about it. I've only had awesome experiences there and yes, we will do the Party again next year when we are back! I have only walked by the CP at Epcot, but it just doesn't seem like something my kids would love. I certainly wouldn't pick it over the Christmas party!:santa::santa::santa:
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with the party! That sounds wonderful! I think the kids would love it :love: It's great to hear you had the same reservations about it being so expensive but found it worth it. Thanks for your help!

Well I think I've decided that we have to do both! :) I was able to squeeze both into the schedule. Our last full day we will go to Epcot in the morning , take a break at the hotel , go to our 3:30pm lunch at Minnie's Seasonal Dine and then head straight to the Christmas party :santa:(I wasn't able to get that on another day and I don't think that is a meal we can miss) Although the party is extremely expensive I was able to cut back on a few other things and since we have free dining this trip I don't feel quite as bad about splurging.
I showed my kids the youtube video of CLP and my 11 year olds both said that they definitely wanted to go to it. (They started band, choir and orchestra this year) . The more I hear about both , the more I feel like we can't miss either. Thank you all so much for your help!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter