MVMCP - is this normal?

I just read that our night (Dec. 19th) is sold out... The first party I ever went to was rained out, and this one is my son's first. It's just the two of us so horrible crowds is not what I was hoping for. The entire reason I got the tixs was to avoid the standard Christmas crowd I expect for the rest of the week. Geez.. I'm so bummed.

We have tix for the 19th. It's been a while, since we've attended MVMCP(13 years). The prices have increased greatly and so has the number of tickets alloted. I'm hoping for the best, but will be prepared for the worst. This will be our first Christmas week trip and I'm expecting a mad house.

I went to MVMCP last night and the crowds were mild. We walked onto Splash, Big Thunder and Space Mountains. There were lines for Peter Pan and IaSW, but those claimed to be 20 minutes.

I guess everyones experience with MVMCP will be different. I thought it was good value for the money.

Happy Holidays everyone.

First welcome to the DIS. Second, if IaSW was listed @ 20 minutes, that's a bad day/night. I saw the line out the door after the parade, which is not normal for a so-called lower-traffic night as the MVMCP is billed to be. Having been there in the past on the same night, this was MUCH more heavily attended. YMMV.

-Kevin

Mid week Nov. parties are great! We went both on Nov. 16th and 18th and most everything was a walk-on. We even staked out a great spot for the parade only 15 min. prior.

We went to the 16th party and it was nice...it was way less crowded the previous year but so was all of Disney...only issue we had was the parade...Main street was crazy and we came across a very rude and inconsiderate family....other than that it was nice

Couple points to make on the thread:

1) You can't argue with me about what I experienced. Yes, some other parts of the park may have been less busy. We arrived at 7:30 and bailed out at 8:30 and yes, later in the night might it also have been less busy, but that doesn't discount what I experienced. I'm happy some people didn't see the mass of humanity I got stuck in :)

2) For those that argue that it's not always packed, keep in mind that you don't know ahead of time which nights will be packed -- why should this be a gamble?

Thanks for the input, it certainly sounds like it's just a hit or miss deal.

I have read this whole thread and not once have I seen anyone arguing with you...You stated you felt it was crowded when you went...other people stating they had the same or different experience is not arguing...they are doing no different than what you did...state and opinion..

Crowds are subjective...You may think a day is crowded and I may be standing next to you and think its not busy at all...I have been to 4 parties...2 in Dec and 2 in Nov...both months I have experienced busy and not busy and each time it was the same night just a different year...last year in Nov, I think the 17th it was empty...this year same Tuesday it was crowded...

I dont think people giving advice or stating their opinions is arguing...

We have tix for the 19th. It's been a while, since we've attended MVMCP(13 years). The prices have increased greatly and so has the number of tickets alloted. I'm hoping for the best, but will be prepared for the worst. This will be our first Christmas week trip and I'm expecting a mad house.

I saw that day is actually sold out!:scared1:

We attended 11/30-great weather, crowds were not bad but busier than the year before. Each year in first half of Dec is getting busier. We only go sun,tue,thur. That said we were riding everything with no waits, got a spot for the first parade across from th Christmas stor about 15 min before the parade started and that was with 2 of the scooters and 3 others. The only complaint I have is that after the 50 min wait to get the dwarves pic, all the pics from the photopass photographer were totally put of focus. We saw very few spots for pics from them compared to prior years unless with the charactre meets. Never got one in front of castle because the lines for those pics were not worth the wait to us. My boys loved all the rides with no waits-even the racecars was about 4/5 min. The parks were a little busier with free dining thsn before but the entire week was good if you were at the right parks-great temp, happy cms,low ride waits,quick dining,good bus service...A good week to go.

They have got to be selling more tickets than normal. I also can't recall any party selling out that is not close to the actual holiday.

I don't think that's a new thing; we got caught at a sold out MNSSHP in Sept '05 simply because it was the opening weekend of the party and the tail end of free dining. It was packed, almost like every single person we'd encountered in all four parks that week ALL decided to attend the party. Our full MK day the longest lines we saw were 30-40mins on the usual headliners; at the party waits were at least twice that for the entire time we stayed (only 10ish cause we had little ones), and some of the trick or treat lines were longer than we'd waited to ride the mountains earlier in the trip.

I wouldn't do another party at this point because it seems the cost has gone way up, the value has gone down, and the crowds are extremely unpredictable. In fact, we try not to go when they're offered unless that's the only time we can do what we want to (like our 12/09 trip - there's no time to see the Christmas decorations without tolerating the parties), because we don't like having to work around the MK being closed early 4 nights a week and more crowded than usual on the other 3 as people who aren't attending the party try to get in a full day.

We have been to several parties over the years.

First one was AWESOME - low crowds, lots of stuff to do, free buttons, free pics, "the good old days" MVMCP

Second year we were back we unfortunately got rained out - watched a packed show at the Diamond Horseshoe and then left - They were handing out the address to contact about refunds at the door. A very nice gesture.

Took a few years off and then the third time we went with my entire extended family 3 years ago. It was a sold out night... The place was a MADHOUSE - we had to fight for a bad parade position.

So enter the next December trip - Leaving on Saturday. We have decided to go ahead and give it another shot. I hope we luck out and the night isn't sold out (the 16th) but instead of bringing everyone my wife and I are considering it a Date Night and just going by ourselves. If it is a bust we probably won't be back for one.

Every person who did not enjoy the party due to over crowding, needs to write a letter or email. It doesn't have to be mean, just factual. "I went to mvmcp on this date and this is what I experienced." " I will not be returning."
I think they're pushing to see how far they can go. If enough people push back, maybe they will once again limit the party guests to a reasonable number. I've been reading overall attendance is down in WDW, they have to try and make it up somewhere and I think the parties are one way they're trying.

I've been to a few parties since 1999 and have never seen crowds like I saw on November 11th of this year. When Peter Pan has a 45 minute wait and Pirates of the Caribbean is 20, you know the park is crowded.
I guess it wasn't like that on the 8th or 12th, but there were way too many people where I was to enjoy it on the 11th. 45 minutes before 2nd parade started-we must have had to stop 20 different groups of people (some who had no wrist bands, but that's another whole issue) at Liberty Square from squeezing in front of us. It was a madhouse and so unnecessary. Add to that taking away freebies like the 5x7 photo, the button and stage shows like Mickeys Once upon a Christmas, it's just not worth the ticket price. Compare that to MNSSHP the year before (October 11) and there is no comparison. It was busy that night, but manageable. We walked on to most rides, got a seat for the 2nd parade five minutes before it started and only waited short amounts of time at character greets. Lines for treats were non existent. We had a blast! I am sure they didn't come close to selling out that night, which made it very enjoyable.

At this point, it's a gamble whether you picked the right night or not. It shouldn't be.. Disney should be consistently giving you what they advertise..

We had the EXACT same experience at MVMCP two years ago!!! Never again will we pay $50 a person for a cup of hot chocolate! I love Disney at the holidays but the party was crazy crowded! Sold wayyyyyy to many tickets in my opinion. We couldn't get on any rides and the early shows were all filled. Wish we wouldve known better:(

I was at the 12/5 party.

It was my first and will be my last. I felt that around 7 pm it was insanity with the CM trying to get the non-party goers out. As the party progressed, I witnesses many folks trying to beat the system and stay in the park to watch the first parade! Yup, folks there got to watch the parade for free and DH and I paid 100.00 to be there!!

As the night progressed, the CM were able to get the non party people out. I witnessed a man finally get stopped by a CM after 8 pm. He had no wristband on and Said he didn't know there was a party going on!! But the CM just told him to leave. I'm sure he found another way to stay in.

I will write a letter as soon as I get home. IMHO it was not worth it.
It was much more crowded than I expected it to be!!

Every person who did not enjoy the party due to over crowding, needs to write a letter or email. It doesn't have to be mean, just factual. "I went to mvmcp on this date and this is what I experienced." " I will not be returning."
I think they're pushing to see how far they can go. If enough people push back, maybe they will once again limit the party guests to a reasonable number. I've been reading overall attendance is down in WDW, they have to try and make it up somewhere and I think the parties are one way they're trying.

I've been to a few parties since 1999 and have never seen crowds like I saw on November 11th of this year. When Peter Pan has a 45 minute wait and Pirates of the Caribbean is 20, you know the park is crowded.
I guess it wasn't like that on the 8th or 12th, but there were way too many people where I was to enjoy it on the 11th. 45 minutes before 2nd parade started-we must have had to stop 20 different groups of people (some who had no wrist bands, but that's another whole issue) at Liberty Square from squeezing in front of us. It was a madhouse and so unnecessary. Add to that taking away freebies like the 5x7 photo, the button and stage shows like Mickeys Once upon a Christmas, it's just not worth the ticket price. Compare that to MNSSHP the year before (October 11) and there is no comparison. It was busy that night, but manageable. We walked on to most rides, got a seat for the 2nd parade five minutes before it started and only waited short amounts of time at character greets. Lines for treats were non existent. We had a blast! I am sure they didn't come close to selling out that night, which made it very enjoyable.

At this point, it's a gamble whether you picked the right night or not. It shouldn't be.. Disney should be consistently giving you what they advertise..

I agree people should write, but I honestly don't expect disney to do anything ....MVMCP is a CASH COW..As long as people STILL buy tickets and parties are selling out,they will not change ANYTHING..IF MVMCP ceased to be a profit, they would simply do away with it( like the now defunct Pirates and Princesses Party), or reduce the nights till it becomes profitable again..

We went on 12/2. While the crowds were about what I expected (I didn't expect it to be really low) - Space Mtn was low wait - 10 min, Peter Pan was too long all night - didn't go on it, we will not be going again. I definitely think it is a waste of money. The shows were cute and the parade very good, but that's not enough for the $$.

Another issue I have with it is that it is too late. My kids (and honestly me too) were pretty wiped out by 10pm. We did make it almost until the end - but we were tired. I think they should start the party at 4 or 5. Unless they really want to gear it toward adults - and then they should serve alcohol! :)

We will not be attending again.

Another issue I have with it is that it is too late. My kids (and honestly me too) were pretty wiped out by 10pm. We did make it almost until the end - but we were tired. I think they should start the party at 4 or 5. Unless they really want to gear it toward adults - and then they should serve alcohol! :)

We will not be attending again.

Well, if they start the party at 4 or 5, that means shutting down the park for everyone else at 4 or 5. That would be a real waste of a ticket for those daytime park-goers, since you're only getting about 2/3 of a day. I think it's horrible that they shut down the park as many nights as they do now. In effect, if you want to visit MK at night and see the fireworks/nighttime parades during November and December, you have to buy a separate ticket, since it's open so infrequently for general ticket holders during that time.

But I do like your alcohol idea.

Well, if they start the party at 4 or 5, that means shutting down the park for everyone else at 4 or 5. That would be a real waste of a ticket for those daytime park-goers, since you're only getting about 2/3 of a day. I think it's horrible that they shut down the park as many nights as they do now. In effect, if you want to visit MK at night and see the fireworks/nighttime parades during November and December, you have to buy a separate ticket, since it's open so infrequently for general ticket holders during that time.

But I do like your alcohol idea.

I agree...On our 7 night trip last year , MK closed early for MVMCP 5 of those nights.The nights it was open to regular park guests it was BEDLAM

I'm going to be right there with you. I'm getting worried from all of these posts.

Crowds are subjective...You may think a day is crowded and I may be standing next to you and think its not busy at all...

If it takes 20 minutes to go from frontierland to tomorrowland, it's crowded.

If you can't avoid banging into more than 100 people along the way, it's crowded.

If you've been to Disney World 4 times at different seasons over the last 10 years, and the crowds were 2-3X the worst you have ever seen, it's crowded.

Geez, we had to fight our way through the turnstiles up to the wristband folks.

Sorry, there's no room to be subjective here.

I dont think people giving advice or stating their opinions is arguing...

I might have come off harsh, most of the people are stating what they saw, and that's fine.

Dh and I went on Friday 11/12. Wait times were really light and we went on most of the rides in the park.

We saw the second parade and I loved the toy soldiers. However we will probably not be going back.

We are planning on taking our teen daughters next Nov. So that are not interested in the characters anymore.

In the end there was not enough value for us to pay for the experience.

We went to the MVMCP on 12/3.

I feel like I need to shake Mickey's hand because he absolutely pulled one of the best con games on me ever.

We paid $50 a head * 5 people, and couldn't run from the park fast enough.

The crowds were so thick you couldn't move. Forget the rides - Space Mountain was a 50 minute line.

Although the parade was nice, I thought that MVMCP was a waste of money --- they probably sold 4x too many tickets.

Anyone else feel this wasn't worth the $$$? Are all of these a crowd nightmare, or did we just get caught in the wrong party?

Unfortunately, this seems to be the case more and more often every year. Its becoming such a popular event, that disney is selling too many tickets for each night, therefore making it crowded and not worth it.

From what I was told, they used to only sell 25-30,000 per party, but because of popularity, I think they are now selling more.

We went to the 11/19 MVMCP and I wouldn't do it again...at least not with young children. It was really crowded and too much to try to do in a short period of time. We didn't see any characters or dance parties because we had to find a spot for the parade early. My kids would never make the late parade. I thought it was a waste of money. :( Lesson learned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter