MVMCP - is this normal?

I've done MVMCP twice, and both times found it extremely crowded. I hear that if you wait it out until the end of the party, it gets more reasonable, but after battling the crowds of parents who think it's okay to shove in front of you to see the parade because "they have children and you don't, and they paid a lot for this party"...well, I can get that without paying extra, and I got so discouraged and exhausted, I just left.

We're going tonight too. I'm so excited :) This is our second time here during the Christmas season and our first MVMCP. It was something I wanted to do once. I can't go on any rides that jostle you at all so we're going for the parade, fireworks, get some photopass pics, see some characters and Hubby Dude is going to buy me the sweatshirt :) I was so nervous about my trip this year because I recently found out I have two herniated discs and a fractured vertebrae but I have to say with my limitations I'm having the most relaxing vacation I've ever had :)

See you there BLTDZ! :) but of course we won't know if we see each other because we don't know what each other looks like lol.

Mid week Nov. parties are great! We went both on Nov. 16th and 18th and most everything was a walk-on. We even staked out a great spot for the parade only 15 min. prior.

We went on 11/30, and I saw some of the worse crowds I have ever seen at any party- Christmas, Halloween, or Princess and the Pirates. It was a Tuesday night- early in December- off season, suposively durring one of the lowest periods of the year. They have got to be selling more tickets than normal. I also can't recall any party selling out that is not close to the actual holiday.
I don't know what is going on, but last week the parks were just horrendously crowded. We didn't go to any Fantasmic nights, we didn't go to any Extra Magic Hours, we went to the reccomended parks (from easywdw). We didn't even seen the Main Street Electrical Parade. I know it's free dining, but we have been there other times when it was in effect, but never has it been this crowded. I know the MK was crowded around the parade taping- which was taped on Thursday, and Friday while we were there. They were also directing people backstage- which I have never seen.
We managed to have fun despite the crowds. We had some plans that worked, but we wasted a lot of time waiting in lines, particularly for the characters.
Good luck to anyone else trying to face the masses!!

We don't do the Christmas party anymore.

They do not do a good job of clearing the park out and checking the shows and parade routes for bands.

There are way too many people and too few activities.

The parade is great, but not great enough to justify the cost and the crowd fighting.

There are so many other cool and fun and FREE Christmas activites going on making the Party not that special.

Halloween Party is completely different, worth every penny. We do the Halloween Party as many times as it is offered while we are there.

We were there 12/3 as well, and were completely disappointed. MK was so crowded during the day that we were really looking forward to the party hours, but it seemed as though the crowds actually got worse!

Never again will we pay $50 a head for what turned out to be nothing special at all.

Well I think it is worth every dime we spent on MVMCP. Just depends on the reason you are going to the party. I love the Xmas feel of the party. You just have to look at the times you go. Right after Thanksgiving is nut. You just have to expect that. Plus did they film the Xmas parade yesterday? If they did that would explain the huge crowds.
We go everytime we are there and never had a problem with crowds and wait times. Each persons expierence can be different.
I recomend you go atleast once and give it a try.:thumbsup2

My mother, sister, 2 nieces and I were at the Nov. 30 party and I didn't think the crowds were bad at all. I didn't expect the park to be empty but maybe because we were focused on young kids rides/activities we lucked out. We walked on to the teacups 2x, thanks to advantageous, yet random stroller parking during dinner the girls had a front row seat for the 815 parade with no waiting. The girls were able to see the princesses and princes and the fairies with short waits and my youngest niece and I had a boat all to ourselves on IASW with the boat in front and behind us empty. That kinda made me nervous, as I have a fear of being trapped in that ride but we really enjoyed the night and it was one of the highlights of the trip.

I was also at the party on 11/30, and feel the same way you did. I have been at the parks when it was super crowded. In my opinion, this was not one of those nights. I got all the character pictures I wanted (dwarfs, princesses, etc.), and the dance parties I saw were not crowded. When I got the pictures for the seven dwarfs and the princesses, I was done with both by 7:35 p.m. The first parade and the fireworks were understandably busy, but that is to be expected. The second parade was pretty light. It was a good party night to me. The only drawback, was getting tired around 11:30:banana:. I gave this MVMCP :thumbsup2:thumbsup2.

This will be our first non-summer trip. I am wondering how the "sold out" crowds compare to early August crowds and wait times. 20 minutes doesn't sound too bad. I do want to see the parade, and that is something we rarely do in the summer. I don't know if our night is sold out, but I am expecting crowds.
Leaving one week from today. Hopefully the predicted ice storm won't ground us in PA.

I was there on Friday night too. Our experience was very different from yours. First of all, our bands were checked everywhere for the first couple of hours - after that, not so much.

We spent time in Tomorrowland, Liberty Square and in Adventureland and we watched the parade. No crowd issues until went to exit and made the mistake of going through Fantasyland. That was nuts. In Adventureland, we could walk in, grab hot chocolate, and walk out without stopping. In Fantasyland, it took 20 minutes.

Friday was a sold out event according to the sign in the park.

That sounds like our last experience there and that was Dec. 2007, so things haven't improved. Utterly PACKED. Line for Space Mountain was out the entrance. Sold out night. I've experienced 2 parties w/ low crowds and they were GREAT but there is no way to know what you'll get. Though going on a Friday or Saturday will almost assure you of wall to wall people. :( Especially in December. SO sorry about your experience. I can sympathize.

They USED to advertise it as an "intimate" evening with the park. I do believe that definition of "intimate" has changed...and not for the better! :eek::laughing:

I went to MVMCP last year on Thursday with my DH and DS. It was busy, but I didn't think it was overwhelmingly so. I can see it getting maddening on a weekend. It was busy getting from the TTC to MK, but once we were inside, we got on the rides we wanted to, saw the parade (got a spot with 10 minutes to go), and were there until 11:45pm, had a blast.
I think it's dependent on day of the week and the activities going on at MK that day. I'm looking forward to taking my parents when we go back in December 2011.

We went in 2008 and 2009 with very different experiences. I believe in 2008 we went on a sold out night, the 2nd party to the last or possibly the last one - I don't recall. Last year, went the same week and was on the last Wed or Thursday party of the season. Not sure if it was sold out but I think it was.

2008 was absolutely great! Even for being sold out, we had a blast and crowds were managable and honestly, it was the highlight of our trip, truly. I won't say crowds were non-existant but it felt like it was a limited ticket event and we got to do so many things.

2009 to me, was a nightmare. Wall to wall people, not being able to move and I felt rudeness from other guests and I really think it was because of the packed walkways etc. The line for cookies and cocoa in tommorland was outrageous. In '08, we did go to Adventureland for the cocoa and it was empty but I don't know how it was last year since we didn't go to that spot for the cocoa.

I was so irritated from the high crowds and it was super warm with all of the people packed in that I actually swore off Disney period lol. From my ticker, you can see that I didn't really mean that but DH said he will never again pay extra to put up with that. DS wanted to go again this year, DH said that I could go with DS but he wasn't coming. I decided none of us will go, it's just not worth the money for the over crowded experience.

Having said that, I am glad that we went, at least in 2008 because I really love that parade and fireworks. 2009 didn't feel to me at all that it was a limited ticket event. (I will say that after returning and I posted my view of how crowded it was, there were others who responded who didn't share my view and thought it wasn't so bad sooooo who knows!)

We decided we will be going to Sea World to see their holiday decorations and shows this year instead. Actually, I am really looking forward to seeing their ice skate show, water and fireworks show! :santa:

We went in 2008 and 2009 with very different experiences. I believe in 2008 we went on a sold out night, the 2nd party to the last or possibly the last one - I don't recall. Last year, went the same week and was on the last Wed or Thursday party of the season. Not sure if it was sold out but I think it was.

2008 was absolutely great! Even for being sold out, we had a blast and crowds were managable and honestly, it was the highlight of our trip, truly. I won't say crowds were non-existant but it felt like it was a limited ticket event and we got to do so many things.

2009 to me, was a nightmare. Wall to wall people, not being able to move and I felt rudeness from other guests and I really think it was because of the packed walkways etc. The line for cookies and cocoa in tommorland was outrageous. In '08, we did go to Adventureland for the cocoa and it was empty but I don't know how it was last year since we didn't go to that spot for the cocoa.

I was so irritated from the high crowds and it was super warm with all of the people packed in that I actually swore off Disney period lol. From my ticker, you can see that I didn't really mean that but DH said he will never again pay extra to put up with that. DS wanted to go again this year, DH said that I could go with DS but he wasn't coming. I decided none of us will go, it's just not worth the money for the over crowded experience.

Having said that, I am glad that we went, at least in 2008 because I really love that parade and fireworks. 2009 didn't feel to me at all that it was a limited ticket event. (I will say that after returning and I posted my view of how crowded it was, there were others who responded who didn't share my view and thought it wasn't so bad sooooo who knows!)

We decided we will be going to Sea World to see their holiday decorations and shows this year instead. Actually, I am really looking forward to seeing their ice skate show, water and fireworks show! :santa:

I'm trying to prepare myself for large crowds. I think (hope) if I go in knowing that it might be super crowded it will be okay. It's better than going in thinking it's going to be low crowds. We're doing Sea World on the 17th and I'm looking forward to that. My DH doesn't know we're going there yet. I'm going to tell him when we get to WDW. Have fun!

We were there on 11/28(last Sunday) and the party was sold out.. majorly packed and crowded... not the best party experience. We went again on 11/30 and the party was much better - crowds were manageable and it was still hot. WE didn't wait long for many rides... the kids went on Space Mountain with hardly any wait. Same with the other rides.. BTMRR was a walk on for us, and people were doing Splash and coming off soaked.

We learned several years ago to avoid that Fri nite party that's held the first Friday of December due to the parade taping.. many people who did the taping stay for that party and it can be maddening.

We still like the party though, but will skip the weekend parties from now on, no more Sun or Fri nites for us.

AS for the crowds, I would call the sold out party on 11/28 a very heavy summer crowd. There was a huge wait times when compared to the next party on Tues 11/30.

I don't think MVMCP is really worth the extra money... but, we do love it mainly for the fireworks and the parade - ohhh, those toy soldiers!

We did the party on the 28th. Managed to find a decent parade viewing spot minutes before the parade made its way down Main Street.... and then the same for the 10:30 parade near where it started we found a spot. Getting through the crowd after fireworks didn't seem too bad. Didn't do many rides, so can't comment on the lines really.

We arrived at the park around 6:30 and found it PACKED. Getting on rides I saw people checking for wrist bands... but that was it. What if just wanted to hang out in the park, enjoy the sites, see the parade and fireworks.... is anyone checking wristbands? Didn't see it. Just gotta wonder how many people were still in there that shouldn't have been?

REALLY wanted to also go on the 30th. It was our last night and ended up with nothing to do so hung out at DTD (boring!) DHS closed early at 8, EP at 9:30 (and we had done enough of EP this trip). But couldn't justify spending $242 (the cost of tickets buying day of) for family of four just for another night in MK and to see parade and fireworks again.

We went Nov 16 and 18 and it was empty! Peter Pan had the longest wait and that was 20 min! I am sorry to hear some of you had lots of people!

We went in 2008 and had a wonderful time.

So in 2009 we bought tickets to two nights. The first was a Tuesday and was just as incredible. The Friday was busier, but we still had a good time overall.

So, in 2010 we did it the same way. Bought tickets for 2 nights. Tuesday was packed. . .super packed. On Friday we went early for BBB/CRT and were routed through the parking lot/around dumpsters. Not the same. I wish they had told us when we booked BBB/CRT and/or bought the MVMCP tickets about the parade taping. Anyhow, we actually gave our Friday night tickets to someone we passed in the park. We decided we had enough, went back to our room and packed to go home.

Overall our trip wasn't the same as past years - but we had fun. However, the holiday spirit was just not the same for us. I don't know that we'll do MVMCP again. . .but if we were to - I know this year changed our opinion of it being worth doing twice in one trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter