Must sees in Yosemite/ Sequoia?

queenarmadillo

Mouseketeer
I was hoping some people with experience might be able to tell me the best way to tour these parks. We have 1.5 days in Yosemetie, and the best part of a day in Sequoia. Can anyone offer a detailed Disney style touring plan?
Or an ooh, dont miss such a thing?
We are trying to get a good experience of the beauty and landscapes of the parks, and any unique features (I think there is a tree you can walk through??) whilst recognising that in the limited time we have it will be impossible to do/see everything.

Also, are any locations particularly good for viewing wildlife? I would love to see some of the more american style animals (wolves and bears would be fantastic, but I have accepted unlikely, so perhaps chipmonks or racoons would be a more realistic sightseeing goal?)

Yosemite:

Kind of depends on how much walking you want to do. Without doing much walking you can visit Bridalveil Fall on the way into the park. And you definitely should go to the Tunnel View area - you'll drive right by it if you come in on Highway 41, otherwise you can either make a short side trip (about 5 minutes up the road) to go there on your way in, or stop on your way out. The view is better in the afternoon than the morning because of the direction of the sun. Then park your car in the Valley (either in the day-use lot, or at wherever you are staying) and take the (free) Valley shuttle around the park. Go to the Visitor Center and Lower Yosemite Falls - there's about a 1/3 mile loop trail that will take you to the bottom of the falls.

The shuttle will also take you to stops for LeConte Memorial, Curry Village, Happy Isles, Mirror Lake, and the Ahwahnee Hotel. Depending on your time you may or may not want to get out and see the Memorial and the Ahwahnee. Mirror Lake is a fairly long walk, and the best time to do that is early morning when the shuttle isn't running anyway. :-) But if you don't mind about a 3/4 mile walk (one way) with about a 500' elevation gain, I would highly recommend the hike from Happy Isles to the Vernal Fall Bridge - along that trail you will get a view of Yosemite Falls looking back up the Valley, and a view of Illilouette Fall, which is only visible from that particular trail. And of course you'll get a great view of Vernal Fall from the bridge. The Nature Center at Happy Isles is kind of interesting, especially if you have kids.

If you want a guided tour, I've heard good things about the Valley Floor Tour, which takes you around on an open tram. They will tell you about the history of the park and some of the geology, too. And they will take you to the tunnel view and some of the other places I mentioned - no hiking on this one, though.

If you want to do your own Valley Floor tour, just take the one-way road all around the Valley - I think it's a 9-mile loop. After you leave Yosemite Village you'll pass by Lower Yosemite Fall (but there's not much parking there, so I recommend you visit this from the shuttle instead) and after a couple of miles you'll be right in front of El Capitan. Pull off the road and bring binoculars to see if you can find any climbers on that huge rock. Once you're back on the road you'll go about 2 more miles and the river will be on your left - there are several parking lots there where you can pull over and go look at it - though how impressive it is depends on when you're there - it's quite impressive during spring run-off, not so much in July and on. You'll have to turn left to continue on the one way road - just after you cross the bridge there's a pullout on the right for Fern Spring - this is a pleasant little area to stop and see. Not much to it, though. As you continue around you'll pass by the Bridalveil area, where you can stop and walk to the base of the fall - it can be pretty wet depending on how much water is coming over and how the wind is blowing. But you can see it from a distance without getting wet. There's actually a very nice view of it from the parking lot, or, if you continue on the Valley floor road you can see it from there too. Be careful in that area because there are lots of people pulling on/off the road. Another mile or so up the road there's a meadow on your left and you can look across and see both upper and lower Yosemite Fall. There are pullouts along the road - but again, this is one of those areas with lots of traffic. And that pretty much brings you back to the Village area again.

I highly recommend the drive to Glacier Point, also - that's about a one hour drive from the Valley, and you get great views of the Valley, Half Dome, and the mountains in the Sierra from there. You *could* do that the day you leave to go to Sequoia, though it will cut into your Sequoia time.

Wildlife sighting is just luck, except for squirrels - you'll probably see lots of them at the tunnel view area, and elsewhere in the park where people are eating - they are pests looking for handouts. :-) If you're out near any of the meadows early in the morning or in the evening you will probably see deer. (They are especially common in the meadows near Curry Village.) I've only seen raccoons at the pizza deck at Curry Village. There are no wolves and bear sightings are just one of those "right place at the right time" things.

Normally I would recommend stopping at the Mariposa Grove of sequoias on your way out of the park, but since your next stop is going to be Sequoia/King's Canyon, which has bigger trees, I think you can skip that. Though that's the place that has the tree you can walk through - I don't remember if there's one of those in Sequoia/King's Canyon or not.

Sequoia/King's Canyon

Based on your wording I'm assuming that you're going to Sequoia/King's Canyon from Yosemite, but if you're going there first, and entering Sequoia National Park first rather than King's Canyon, then just reverse the stops.

If you're coming from Yosemite then you will first enter King's Canyon National Park, and then take the Generals Highway into Sequoia National Park. I would recommend stopping at the Grant Grove in King's Canyon to see the huge trees there. And stop at the Visitor's Center. Then depending on how much time you have, you can head straight for the Sherman Grove and walk around that. And then stop at the Auto Log (this is the fallen tree that you can drive across - or you could last time I was there). And if you have time/energy you can climb up Moro Rock - it's short but steep. Nice view, though. Not much else to see as you head out of the park from there, though I'll warn you that the road is twisty and slow-going as you go down towards the park exit. There's another visitor center near the exit, which may or may not be worth a stop depending on time (they have restrooms, though).

Hope that helps - let me know if you have more specific questions.

when we go to yosemite the thing we like to do the most is spend time in the valley.

we always pick a new hike off the list the ranger gives you as you enter the park gates. with the kids we do one of the shorter ones like bridal veil fall for example.

the last time my family went we took a tram tour which drove all through the valley while the guide pointed out the best of the best in the way of sights and interesting facts.

my very favorite thing to do is eat at the awahnee hotel. it's a historic landmark and is amazing architecture. the dining room is gorgeous and the food is worth the money. spend some time at the bar/grill area.. there is an outdoor patio/eating area that is perfect if you are traveling with children... they can play in the field that is in viewing area of the tables .. and there are all kinds of birds and squirrels that the kids get a kick out of.

Thank you for all the fantastic information. Its very daunting to just have an entire national park to see and not very much time, but with your information I feel a bit better placed to start planning it now.

We quite enjoy walking, but I thought that in the aim of getting a good overview of the parks we probably wouldnt have time to do any long ones. We will probably try to fit in at least one good one - how long would you say it takes to hike to mirror lake? Depending on how we feel when we're there an early morning hike might be quite pleasant. The 3/4 mile to vernal fall bridge sounds good for us too, so that is probably on the list.

Im glad you said the walk-in tree is in Yosemite, as we hadnt planned on seeing sequoias there as we were going to sequoia later, but after a recent unfortunate car-tree collission the talk of me going somewhere where its ok to go through the trees has given my friends a great deal of amusement and I dont think they would forgive me if I came back without pictures of it.

We are doing sequoia on a seperate day (I planned to leave Yosemite late-ish, overnight in Fresno, and do sequoia the next day) so the trip out to glacier point probably makes sense to do on the last day.

Are there any particularly good places to watch the sunset in Yosemite? We are spending a night in the park / as near by as possible, so this is something I would quite like to do.

I was also considering the horseback riding in one of the parks, but it seems very expensive and I wasnt sure if it would be a good (lazy) way to see more of the park up close, or if they tended to centre on flatter and less spectacular views of the park for tourist safety reasons. Do you have a recommendation either way?

Mirror Lake hike - if you take the shuttle bus to the Mirror Lake Junction, it probably takes 20-30 minutes from there. It's up hill most of the way, but it's almost all on pavement. The bus doesn't start running until 7:00 in the morning.

If I had to choose one I'd choose the Vernal Falls Bridge - Mirror Lake isn't much of a lake any more - it's getting filled in by meadow. When are you going to be there? Because the later you go, the less water there is in the "lake".

Walk-through tree: The tree you can walk through is the California Tunnel Tree, and it is about a 1/2 mile hike from the parking area of the Mariposa Grove. Unless you arrive at the Mariposa Grove fairly early (or late) you probably will not be allowed to drive up and park at the grove, and will have to ride the (free) shuttle from the parking area down below, and that takes extra time.

You can do both Glacier Point and the Mariposa Grove on your way out of the park - the Grove is just inside the park exit that you will use as you head out to Fresno on Highway 41.

Sunset Viewing: The most popular place to watch the sunset is Sentinel Bridge, because of the lighting on Half Dome (Half Dome is east and not west, so you see the pink color on Half Dome rather than the actual sunset). Lots of people with cameras and tripods get there early to watch it, but you can still see it just fine even if you're not right on the edge of the bridge. To actually see the sunset to the west...hmmm. Maybe from the Swinging Bridge you'd get a view of it with the Merced River in the foreground. Another place I like to watch the light on Half Dome is from the edge of the big meadow that's out in front of Curry Village - and that's also an excellent place/time to see deer.

Horseback rides: I wouldn't recommend a horseback ride...the horses they use are very placid and slow-moving (and they often use mules rather than horses), and I don't think they take you any place very interesting. If you really want to see Vernal Fall without walking there, then you might take a horseback ride instead, but it takes a LONG time, and you can walk it faster than ride it by the time you factor in the time it takes to sign waivers and get mounted up at the stables.

If you want a "lazy" way to see more of the park I would recommend the Valley Floor tram tour - you'll get to much more spectacular sights there than you will on horseback. But that tour won't take you anyplace that you can't get to by car. The advantage is that you don't have to worry about trying to park the car, so it makes that part a lot easier. And I think the guides tell you things about the history of the park that you wouldn't otherwise hear.

Thanks for the suggestions. Based on your description, I think we will give the riding a miss as it was more me me wanting to spend some more time on horseback than us needing a lazy way to do the parks, and it doesnt sound like the riding part of it is particluarly interesting from your description.

We will be there at the end of June, so will probably take your advice on vernal falls as first choice, and then mirror lake if we feel like another walk.

Im not sure if this is a stupid question, but do the parks "close" at night? I know people stay in them etc, but we are prpbably staying just outside the boundary in el portal, so I was wondering if there is a time the gates close or something similar, or if we can just come and go as we please having paid the entry fee?

They always have the lights on in Yosemite!!!! Just realize that it's a pretty good ride in from any of the gates. You might just want to stay in the park for dinner to save time and fuel.

You can come and go as you please - the only time they stop letting people in is on days when the park gets too many visitors - and at those times they are happy to let you leave! :-) The entrance stations typically aren't staffed at night, so you don't have to show your entrance fee receipt when you leave.

Be aware that a fair number of the eating places in the Valley close *early* - once you get past 5:00 your options get a lot more limited. And I think the only things open after 9:00 are the Curry Village pizza place and the Village Store (and it has grocery type foods - you can get pre-made burritos and sandwich meat and bread and stuff like that, but not a prepared meal).

Scooter, we are leaving for Yosemite on Monday and I am loving your suggestions.

I do have one question. Where is Sentinel Bridge and how do you get to it?

Thanks!

Thanks! I'm glad the information has been helpful! I leave for Yosemite myself next Saturday. :)

Sentinel Bridge is one of the stops on the free Valley Shuttle. It's the first stop the bus makes after it leaves the Village Store stop (on its way back towards the campgrounds and Curry Village - the shuttle stops at the Village Store both directions). As you're driving along the Valley floor, the bridge is just down the road from the Chapel - turn left to go over the bridge. I believe you also go left there to go to the day use parking area near Yosemite Village. There is a small parking lot just on the other side of the bridge, but depending on when you're there, it might already be full.

Have a great trip!

Thanks! That might work. We are planning on eating dinner at the Yosemite Lodge on Wednesday night and I would love to see the sunset in the park.

Sounds like we'll just miss you. Have a great time yourself!

One man's opinion (and his DW's too) is that the sunset from the valley floor is not particularly exciting . . . now, Glacier Point is a whole other story - well worth the drive!

I usually pop in these threads as I also love to go to Yosemite & Sequoia, but do not really have much to add to what Scooter L has already said. :)

As for the sunset, there are two choices, and both have been named. If you are in the valley, a place where you can see Half Dome is the best you're going to get. However, if you do not mind the drive, go up to Glacier Point (it's probably 45 min - an hour, if I remember correctly, from the valley) and watch the sunset from there. You will see what is known as "Alpen Glow" where the peaks will all be a rosy hue, much like Half Dome. It is really spectacular. If you have a rather moonless night, you might want to stay at Glacier Point to see the most awesome view of the night sky with all of the stars. It's truly magnificent.

Okay, just got back from Yosemite. Beautiful park!!!

Anyway, on our first full day there we took an all day tour with Discover Yosemite. These are awesome. They picked us up right from the Tenaya Lodge. The guide was very informative and gave us a day to remember.

Even if you just drive in, go down to and around the valley you can't miss anything. There are incredible views wherever you walk.

You have to go to Glacier Point, the views to the valley and Half Dome are incredible. I also recommend that you stop along the main road to the village. There are many pull outs and the views are amazing, especially the one from Tunnel View and Valley View. We had lunch at El Capitan meadow and had a front row view of the climbers.

Bridalveil Fall and Yosemite Falls both have easy trails leading to the base of the falls. Neither one to be missed.

We also rode the shuttle to stop #17 and walked to Mirror Lake. This was also an incredible scene. The lake mirrored the surrounding cliffs perfectly.

No matter what you decide, have a wonderful trip.

Thanks for the update. Im particularly glad you said you cant really miss anything, *** I am a bit worried that I was a bit worried that I didnt leave us enough time to see it properly with all the suggestions everyone has made of things to do.

Also, are any locations particularly good for viewing wildlife?
We were in Yosemite last week. There's abundant wildlife.

We saw a male deer, then later a female deer, right off the bike path. The next evening a black bear visited our picnic area.

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter