Must see/do Oregon Coast

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
Taking a road trip up the Oregon coast in mid-May. What are some must see & do things that I shouldn’t miss? My current plans take me up to Tillamook.

Last edited:
P6040969.jpg [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]If you're going as far as Tillamook, I'd suggest continuing another hour north up to the Cannon Beach area, which will give you some of the most stunning views to be seen. On 101 that will take you around Neahkahnie Mt which has a stunning vista south. Then north of Cannon Beach is Ecola State Park with more stunning views.

Last edited:
Our "must do" is always to go to the Tillamook Cheese Factory. I haven't been there since they remodeled. Tours used to be free and they had amazing (and inexpensive) ice cream, plus cheese samples and a great little store!

Our other "must stop" is Pelican Brewing Company in Pacific City. Their clam chowder is the BEST and a trip to the beach isn't the same without it. The restaurant/brewery is right on the ocean, you can get shots of Haystack Rock, plus get out and climb (then run down) the ENORMOUS sand dune, which is great for stretching your legs and getting some energy out.

Pro Tip: Climb the sand dune AND THEN go for clam chowder!

We love Oregon. Enjoy your trip!

We enjoy Tillamook, Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, Astoria Column and the Goonies house in Astoria.

We also like whale watching in Depoe bay. They don’t charge very much for a boat excursion but the whales also come right up to the cliffs running alone the highway and we were able to see them from our hotel balcony.

Our "must do" is always to go to the Tillamook Cheese Factory. I haven't been there since they remodeled. Tours used to be free and they had amazing (and inexpensive) ice cream, plus cheese samples and a great little store!

Our other "must stop" is Pelican Brewing Company in Pacific City. Their clam chowder is the BEST and a trip to the beach isn't the same without it. The restaurant/brewery is right on the ocean, you can get shots of Haystack Rock, plus get out and climb (then run down) the ENORMOUS sand dune, which is great for stretching your legs and getting some energy out.

Those were our favorite stops as well!

We went through Oregon last summer. It was beautiful! Lots of fun things to do...

Spinreel in North Bend was awesome. We rented ATVs for a couple of hours. You can ride down to the beach and drive up and down the coast. You can also ride up and down the dunes, which was lots of fun!

C&M stabled in Florence was amazing too. It’s only about 30 minutes away from the ATV place. We did both the same day. We did the sunset ride and it was the highlight of our trip. It was beautiful! You take a short ride through the woods and over a dune to the beach. Once on the beach you can let the horses run (trot, not gallop) down the beach on their own (no lines to stay in) They take pics of your group on the horses with the sunset over the ocean. After about an hour in the beach you head back. I can’t recommend the sunset tour enough, it was fabulous!

Out and About Treehouses. This isn’t on the coast, maybe 2 hours inland in the southern part of Oregon near the California coast. We stayed there a couple of nights. It was a very cool experience. They have about 15 different tree houses and it’s a fun community atmosphere.

A short drive from the treehouses just over the California border were all the redwoods trees. We rented bikes and kayaks and spent the day seeing the redwoods.

Growing up in Oregon and living on the coast for 5 years I can tell you there isn’t a more beautiful drive than up 101! You will love every bit of it.
I second the suggestions above. The Aquarium in Newport, cheese factory in Tillamook, Cape Lookout, all the cute shops and little restaurants in Pacific City...don’t miss The Grateful Bread! Cannon Beach, the bay front attractions in Newport and notice the giant wall mural there done by Wyland. We actually watched him do that. We would go down every day and visit to watch him paint it.
And be sure to visit the food truck, Oregon Box Lunch, in Florence for the most delicious breakfast and lunch. It is owned/run by my niece and nephew in law. Everything fresh every day including the bread!
I could go on and on!!

Your profile says Northern California, so I assume some of your trip will include the California Coast. We did a week long road trip from Sacramento up the coast into Oregon back in June. Overnighted in Eureka. The Redwoods are amazing. We stopped at Trees of Mystery, the tram ride there is amazing. We headed inland and stopped in Grants Pass to visit the Dutch Brothers Coffee headquarters (we're big fans of their coffee). We also headed to the Rogue Creamery there, home of the famous Blue Cheese. First time I have ever had a grilled cheese sandwich made with blue cheese. We didn't make it far enough north to go to Tillamook, but that sounds fine. And if you like wine tasting, there are a lot of neat wineries in Oregon.

I'd suggest continuing another hour north up to the Cannon Beach area,
I've debated going farther north but I am just not sure my short time line will allow it. I will keep it in mind until my plans are finalized.

Your profile says Northern California, so I assume some of your trip will include the California Coast...Trees of Mystery, the tram ride there is amazing.
Yes, my adventure will start from home up the 101 into Oregon. I have visited the Trees of Mystery some years ago and agree it is amazing.

OSU Hatfield Marine Science Center. It’s free, yet you can make a donation if you want to. It’s right by the Oregon Aquarium.

Sunset Dinner at Georgie’s Beachside Grill. Make reservations.

Newport’s Historic Bayfront to see sea lions.

Yaquina Bay Lighthouse.

Love the Oregon Coast...everyone has great suggestions. I would try and make it all the way to Astoria if you could. Beautiful drive all along the coast...:lovestruc

My DD lives in Bend, OR and we visited last year and drove over the mountain to Newport and spent a few days. Loved it there. We stayed at a little motel overlooking the ocean and it was wonderful. Agate Beach Motel. Wish we had more time to go up to Cannon Beach and Astoria. Next trip hopefully. We also did the lighthouse in Newport and it was beautiful!!

Agate Beach Motel1.jpg Agate Beach Motel2.jpg Agate Beach Motel3.jpg

MJ

Those are my must do things in the area - DH grew up there and those are my two not miss stops.

After the comments here about Cannon Beach, I have reworked my plans and will be adding a stop there.

Planning a trip (other than Disney) is really really hard. Last time I tried I failed miserably and ended up spending my entire trip visiting breweries in the area (Portland, Eugene). I really want to make the brewery hopping PART of the trip not the entire trip this time.

My trip is a little more than 2 weeks away. I am working on finishing up my itinerary. I just wish I had more time. There is no way I am going to get everything on my list done. But if anyone has anything to add please let me know.

And thank you to everyone who gave me input when I first posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter