Must do restaurants for little ones?

gmorales29

Earning My Ears
My daughters will be turning 3 & 5 right after we return from our trip. Are there any restaurants that you consider an absolute must for that age group? Or something that they will be "too old" for on our next trip in a couple of years? Right now the only thing I have is the Disney Junior character meal at Hollywood & Vine.

Thanks!

G*d have mercy on my soul I was going to tell you at that age you almost have to do Hollywood & Vine and something that is good is a breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. A very varied list of characters appear there. The Mad Hatter alone is worth the visit. The last time we had breakfast there Winnie the Pooh and Mary Poppins showed up. Really made the girls day.

Hollywood and Vine is a good choice for the Disney Jr characters. CRT or Akershus if they like princesses. For classic characters, Chef Mickeys is quintessential Disney (although the food is mediocre at best). My favorite character meal of all is Garden Grill -- great character interaction, fun atmosphere and good food (served family style, easier than a buffet with little ones IMO).

First question, which characters are your two in to? Are they princess girls? Mainly D Junior? Fab 5? Most character meals should be great for them.

I’d look at Crystal Palace for that age. There would be a lot of magic for them there I think. Other recommendations kind of depend on their character prefs. CRT or Akershus for princesses. 1900 Park Fair for Cinderella. Tusker House or Chef Mickey’s for the Fab 5.

The only one that they might out grow is Hollywood and Vine for Disney Junior. The only other time they will be “too old” for anything Disney is when they’re teenagers, and they will out grow that.

My 2.5 year old was really not that into Chef Mickey's (I think there was just too much going on for him). He LOVED Cape May Cafe breakfast. It was much quieter and less rushed than Chef Mickey's. No Mickey at that one, but Goofy, Donald, Daisy, and Minnie make up for it and the food is really good.

Usually at that age the dining plan may actually be worth it and then the more character meals the better. I hate standing in the hot sun waiting for characters so if I can meet a bunch in an air conditioned restaurant, I'm all for it. Disney Jr. is the only thing I think they would be too old for. It's the only character meal I would avoid on a solo trip as an adult, the rest are good for any age! For the princesses, I'd pick Akershus. It's really cool to eat in the castle, but with the cost of it I'd do Akershus and then breakfast or lunch at BOG for the castle effect (breakfast is better but costs more, both are one quick service credit though so if on the dining plan go for breakfast if not go for lunch). Then save CRT for the next trip so there will be something new to look forward to and you can pair down some of the others. Chef Mickey is great, kids think its SO much fun to eat and watch the monorail go by. You can see the same characters at Tusker House with a more adventerous menu and better food, but if it's what the kids prefer, I'd lean a bit toward chef mickey. And now that I see you are staying there, yes you really should do it or you'll hear it from your kids every time you pass can we go there!

1900 Park Fare is also great, some of the best character meal food in my opinion. I would say go with the breakfast or skip it this trip, I think your next trip when the kids are a little older they will get more out of the dinner. There is a lot of humor with the step sisters and it will probably almost all be over their heads at this age.

One other meal that I love is Tratorria on the boardwalk. For breakfast it has ariel, rapunzel, eric and flynn. The meal is great and if you have enough days I would check it out, but if you're limited to 5 or 6 days, I'd save it for next time.

Crystal Palace, I do occasionally because I love Eeyore, but their food really is bad. They also can have very long wait times. I think we had bad luck though because it was raining so people didn't want to leave the restaurant. The kids didn't mind the wait and liked the characters, but it did mess with a few of our plans. If your kids like winnie the pooh go for it, its a cute restaurant, if not, skip it.

I can't comment on Ohana, I've never been there as their menu doesn't appeal to me and it gets mixed reviews. I loved Garden Grill but I feel like that could wait until next trip. I've also never done Cape May because we usually pick a restaurant that also has Mickey there.

If you’re at the contemporary, your kids will not forgive you for not going. It is loud, looks like fun to kids, and they’ll see it and everyone getting to go but them, unless you book it.

If you’re at the contemporary, your kids will not forgive you for not going. It is loud, looks like fun to kids, and they’ll see it and everyone getting to go but them, unless you book it.

I had a feeling that was going to be the case. Looks like breakfast is the best option so we’ll do that on our pool day.

Places my kids have enjoyed at those ages:

1900 Park Fare
50's Prime Time (fun experience, good food)
Akershus (breakfast over lunch)
BOG (lunch)
Coral Reef (giant fish tank)
Crystal Palace (breakfast)
Hoop Dee Doo (tons of fun for everyone)
Ohana (breakfast)
Rainforest Cafe (lots for them to see and hear)
Sci Fi (sit in a car plus watch movie clips)
Tusker House

CRT is obviously an experience to have if you've never done it. Although, I think it's very $$ for what you get. People recommend Garden Grill a lot and also Chef Mickey's of course but those are pretty low on our list. My kids also have enjoyed the luau at the Poly. It's always good to have some kind of entertainment at the meal whether it be characters or sights and sounds or a show etc. So if you pick places with that in mind, you really can't go wrong.

My girls were 5 and 2 months shy to 3, it was actually my 5 yo birthday trip. Both of them are big princess fans, especially Belle and Rapunzel, so this is what we did for our 5 TS dining credits.

MK day 1:
CRT dinner, for the Castle experience

HS day:
Bon Voyage breakfast (boardwalk) for Rapunsel, since Flynn was not available that day, we got Merida, which is a big surprise as she is my younger girl’s favorite.
Hollywood V&D dinner w/F for classic characters

Epcot day:
Akershus breakfast for photo op with Belle

MK day 2:
BOG breakfast (QS credit)

Side note, we did stay at Contemporary for that trip, but didn’t do CM.

Last edited:
My girls are 5 and 7. On our last trip in December, for them specifically, we did:

Breakfast at BOG
Dinner at BOG
Breakfast at Garden Grill
Lunch at Tony's - for the Festival of Fantasy parade viewing
Dinner at Hollywood & Vine
Lunch at Teppan Edo - they love hibachi restaurants
Lunch at CRT
Breakfast at Tusker House

For our September trip (in which they both have birthdays) they requested:

Dinner at Rainforest Cafe - one daughter's birthday choice
Dinner at Ohana - other daughter's birthday choice
Breakfast at Akershus
Breakfast at Crystal Palace
Breakfast at Tusker House
Breakfast at CRT
Lunch at Tony's - Parade viewing
Dinner at BOG
Brunch at Chef Mickey's

I don't know how many years from now your next trip is, but my oldest will be turning 8 when we go this fall and she still LOVES princesses and even some Disney Junior. I don't think they'll age out of things too fast. Heck, we're really only doing BOG and CRT again because my 65 year old MIL wants to go to them!

When my nephews were just a bit older than that, Chef Mickey's was a "favorite" restaurant (for them) on that trip. They also really enjoyed Hoop De Doo and Garden Grill.

I wouild suggest the Crystal Palace for Winnie the Pooh and gang. Little kids seemed not to be so taken aback by those characters. My kids and grandkids loved that place every time we took them.

Personally, I would pick one princess meal (we prefer Akershus), one Mickey meal (you are at CR, so might as well do Chef Mickey's) and I would recommend the breakfast at 1900 Park Fare because the character interaction is typically stellar and you will see a nice variety of characters there. I would probably do regular TS combined with those three. If you are at CR, I would also consider dinner at Cali Grill. The view is stunning and my DS has always enjoyed going out on the observation decks to see MK all lit up.

Garden Grill! The rotating restaurant is super cool and they have Mickey, Pluto and the Chipmunks!
Crystal Palace with Pooh and Friends
My kids thought that San Angel Inn is was super neat - eating inside the pyramid in Epcot
They also love Raglan Road - they invite the kids up on stage and teach them irish dancing. :)

My kids are 4 & 2 (almost 3.)

Our favorite character meals:
-Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno (Boardwalk): Rapunzel/Flynn, Ariel/Prince Eric. This was a blast and the food was great.

-Akershus: We prefer this over CRT for princesses. We do the latest breakfast seating as our lunch (11:15). We really like the breakfast food there, and the last seating gives us a couple hours for rides before our ADR. Love the little princess parade during it.

-Ohana breakfast: Lilo/Stitch/Mickey/Pluto. This is a lot of fun, and they do a little parade with the characters too.

-1900 Park Fare breakfast (Alice/Pooh/Tigger/Mary Poppins/Mad Hatter) and dinner (Cinderella/Prince Charming/Lady Tremaine/stepsisters.) Both excellent character experiences. Dinner is particularly hilarious with Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters.

Not a character meal, but my kids both loved Beaches & Cream in January. They got the little Mickey sundaes for dessert (ice cream with Oreo ears) and loved them. I got one of the milkshakes with a cupcake on top and the kids really got a kick out of it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter