"Must Do" Dining Spots for DL newbies

dreynolds1982

Mouseketeer
Got 3 nights at DL (Staying at DLH) in late August as part of my honeymoon (!!). I've been to DL twice, but last time was several years ago (still when DCA was old school DCA). We're nearing the 60 days out for our ADRs, and I know I want to do Blue Bayou for lunch one day (I've been, but my fiancé hasn't and it definitely needs to be experienced).

Any other must do dining spots? I know that some things are just now reopening for reservations, like Lamp Lighter Lounge. Note we will only be in the parks on a Wed and Thursday.

We've both done Oga's (WDW) before, so I'm not sweating that one too much (tho if I get it, great).

Thanks!

Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans, Blue Bayou, or Smokejumpers Grill
Fried Chicken at Plaza Inn
Beignets at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen (I only tried these and not the Mickey Beignets at Blue Bayou, probably will try the Mickey ones in a few weeks)
Macaroon at Jolly Holiday

None of these require reservations unless you have to eat at Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans for the Monte Cristo.

Too bad they have not said when Steakhouse 55 will open. :( If they are open prior to your visit and if you like steak, Steakhouse 55 would be a good place to try. Steakhouse 55 used to have breakfast and an afternoon tea too but I don't know if they will have that or not.
Obviously, Carthay is also nice. Just not as nice at Napa Rose. :) And I am not sure if they have it at Napa Rose or not right now, but they had Chef's Counter in the past. No menus, they will serve you. It is really nice too because you are sitting at the counter (obviously) looking at the kitchen. :)

I'd advise against the Chef's Counter. When I went (admittedly back in Sept 2017) they served us mostly random stuff off the menu and basically forced us to eat stuff we wouldn't have otherwise gotten and didn't really enjoy. The chef was very pushy and I really had to put my foot down to not be served seafood because I don't like any of it, even though I'm not allergic. I'm sure I would've enjoyed it more if we just had the regular menu experience and gotten exactly what I wanted. Not sure if they always do the chef's table like that or not, but that was my experience.

I'd advise against the Chef's Counter. When I went (admittedly back in Sept 2017) they served us mostly random stuff off the menu and basically forced us to eat stuff we wouldn't have otherwise gotten and didn't really enjoy. The chef was very pushy and I really had to put my foot down to not be served seafood because I don't like any of it, even though I'm not allergic. I'm sure I would've enjoyed it more if we just had the regular menu experience and gotten exactly what I wanted. Not sure if they always do the chef's table like that or not, but that was my experience.
Oh no! I am sorry that happened to you. From the various times I have gone over the years (probably average once a year for the last 6 years), I have always had good experiences. They always asked us what we do not like to eat. Everything they have served us were wonderful. We were always surprised at how full we were at the end of the meal. The chef would come by and make small talks with us and it was nice to hear what their experience is.
I absolutely agree with you the regular menu is wonderful. Sometimes the menus change and what I enjoyed previously was not there anymore. But it just gave me an opportunity to try something new.

Carthay Lounge. Has a nice vibe, good drinks and is a quiet escape from the craziness of the parks.

Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans, Blue Bayou, or Smokejumpers Grill
Fried Chicken at Plaza Inn
Beignets at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen (I only tried these and not the Mickey Beignets at Blue Bayou, probably will try the Mickey ones in a few weeks)
Macaroon at Jolly Holiday

None of these require reservations unless you have to eat at Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans for the Monte Cristo.

Would you say the monte cristo is the same at all three locations? i've only had them from cafe orleans, but didn't know smokejumpers grill also had them!

We love the Plaza Inn character breakfast (tho not as fancy as Crystal Palace at WDW) and Flos’s Diner. If WOC dessert party is happening I highly recommend.

I think it kind of depends on if there are any certain IPs that you are interested, like new Avengers stuff, or do you mean "nicer" table service areas not really tied to any movies etc? Or are you looking for a certain type of food? or vibe? Personally in the parks I like Wine Country Trattoria vibe. Then again, I also like the Corn Dogs and the new Shawarma at Avengers Campus, lol.

Would you say the monte cristo is the same at all three locations? i've only had them from cafe orleans, but didn't know smokejumpers grill also had them!
They’re essentially the same at all three. At CO it’s a half sandwich with fries. At BB it’s a full with fruit. And at Smokejumpers it’s a half with nothing.

Last edited:
For an event as special as a honeymoon, I would definitely put Napa Rose and Carthay on the list. We have done both for special anniversary occasions. I think Carthay was in 2017 and we were seated on the balcony overlooking the streets (coming in and going to the Hollywood section. It was quiet and a nice relaxed dinner. Great drinks, appetizers, main course, dessert. Sun setting. About a 2 hour event. Very memorable. Excellent for an in-park experience.

Napa Rose we enjoyed a lot (have done it a few times). My feeling for a honeymoon would be that you want to interact with your partner rather than the chef (that's for a different, foodie occasion). The meal was exceptional.

Sounds like you have several days and of course you wouldn't do the top meals every time and so lots of the other suggestions are also good ideas.

Highly recommend Napa Rose - Love the Chef Counter but since that's not back yet "settled" for the 4 course Vinter's Menu which was superb. Of course I added the wine pairing and my favorite - Smiling Tiger Salad. It was so nice to return there and the bar and lounge has reopened just as an fyi.

I recognized so much of the staff as I was doing the Chef counter 3 to 4 times a year when I had my annual pass. I confirmed with my server John who was absolutely wonderful that 90% of the original staff returned or is in process. I have never been disappointed.

Highly recommend Napa Rose - Love the Chef Counter but since that's not back yet "settled" for the 4 course Vinter's Menu which was superb. Of course I added the wine pairing and my favorite - Smiling Tiger Salad. It was so nice to return there and the bar and lounge has reopened just as an fyi.

I recognized so much of the staff as I was doing the Chef counter 3 to 4 times a year when I had my annual pass. I confirmed with my server John who was absolutely wonderful that 90% of the original staff returned or is in process. I have never been disappointed.

Did you notice if the bar/lounge is walk up?

Did you notice if the bar/lounge is walk up?

I think it was because I had a reservation at 8:30pm , arrived at 8pm and asked if the lounge was open for a drink prior and they took me over.
The bar was full and the lounge was as well with some outdoor seating too. I would try to arrive early around opening at 5pm - 5:30pm to check.

Trader Sam’s is so fun! The food from Tangarora Terrace is great (long green beans and poke are my favorite). Sit at the bar, no other experience like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter