Musical Horns in Alaska

ChanaC

DIS Veteran
This is a purely silly and selfish question on my part, so my apologies in advance. I'm taking a Royal Caribbean cruise to Alaska and noticed we'll be in a few ports the same time as the Wish. Does anyone know when the Wish sets off its musical horns? I'm traveling with my mom and she thought it might be cool if we got to hear them or if there was a horn battle. I honestly think there is a pretty low chance of it actually happening since our departure times don't always line up, so even if they were to do it we might not be on the ship to hear it, and because I have a feeling they might not blow them in Alaska and possibly disturb all the wildlife plus the locals in the area. Seems like a lot of horns happen out at sea or at Castaway Cay. Anyone know or have heard them in Alaska? Thought I might as well ask, even if the answer is a no!

Edit: Opps thanks for the correction I did mean the Wonder! The "W's" threw me off!

Last edited:
Ships in Alaska only use horns when required for safety and weather (fog). No horn battles in Alaska.

Definitely heard 'when you wish upon a star' horn music on the Wonder in 2016 but not sure if that was just as we left Vancouver or if we were at any Alaskan ports.

I went to AK in 2018 and the ship blew it's horn in Skagway. It was the same night as the Frozen deck party, and I remember the sound of the horn echoing with the mountains.

I didn't know the Princess ships had musical horns. What tune is that? It's on the tip of my tongue!

I went to AK in 2018 and the ship blew it's horn in Skagway. It was the same night as the Frozen deck party, and I remember the sound of the horn echoing with the mountains.
Thanks for that info. We have not sailed on a DCL Alaska cruise that visited Skagway. I know there are regulations in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka.

I was on the Wonder for the Alaskan Cruise in 2019. I believe the day was when we were supposed to be at Dawes Glacier. It was really foggy that day, so the ship blasted the horn a few times I think to see if there were other ships nearby. It actually was too foggy to get to port that day, if that gives you an idea of the weather.

I was on the Wonder for the Alaskan Cruise in 2019. I believe the day was when we were supposed to be at Dawes Glacier. It was really foggy that day, so the ship blasted the horn a few times I think to see if there were other ships nearby. It actually was too foggy to get to port that day, if that gives you an idea of the weather.

They should have been sounding the standard horn and not the Mickey Whistles in the fog situation.

Glacier day is only cruising - no docking. When I was on Holland we were doing Glacier Bay and it was super foggy early on. Very creepy to be sailing in super dense fog with just the horn sounding. It cleared off later for us to see the glacier (I'm the weird dick who saw it and was like "Ok...that's...cool?" rather than standing and staring for hours.).

But yeah - in hazardous weather like fog they should be using the standard horn.

Yeah, we were on the Wonder in Alaska during a TON of fog and they were sounding the regular ship horn. One low boom every so often. I remember because I was out for a run on deck 4 and the motion of the ship was a slow rock that day and with the fog, the horn, it all felt sort of surreal as I ran.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter