Multiple Port Excursions in One Day

chuff88

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

My mom and I are taking our first ever Disney cruise to Alaska, departing August 26, 2019. We have port stops in Icy Point, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway, as well as the Tracy Arm.

There are some ports where we are potentially interested in more than one port excursion. For example, in Icy Point we are definitely interested in the Whale Watching and Seafood Feast (the trip is for my mom's birthday and she LOVES whales), but I am also interested in the Discovering Birds of Hoonah adventure.

Is it possible to do more than one port excursion in a single day? It doesn't even specifically have to be these two, this is just the example I had.

Thanks!

It depends on when they're scheduled for. Most excursions leave in the morning so it's hard to do more than one.

It is possible to do two in one day. You’ll see the times when you book. Generally only works for excursions that are 4 hours or less though.

You might want to consider independent tour operators. I’ve started looking at excursions for our Alaska sailing next year and have found that some will work with you to schedule multiple excursions. With DCL, you have to meet back on the ship, but an independent may be able to bring you directly to your next stop. You may have more flexibility regarding timing as well. Good luck planning!

You might want to consider independent tour operators. I’ve started looking at excursions for our Alaska sailing next year and have found that some will work with you to schedule multiple excursions. With DCL, you have to meet back on the ship, but an independent may be able to bring you directly to your next stop. You may have more flexibility regarding timing as well. Good luck planning!
I'm worried about if one of them runs late and not being able to get back to the ship on time.

That's one of my favorite things to do when we have a verandah that's on the port side of any stop . . . watch the people running up the dock to make it to the ship . . . or not make it!

Yeah, I know . . . . . .

I can appreciate that. You definitely want to vet your vendors well if you go outside of DCL. And plan to be back to the ship with plenty of time to spare.
This is our first cruise, and while I've looked at other vendors I think we'll likely stay with DCL port excursions for the ease and because for two people the savings don't seem enormously significant (we booked an inside room specifically so that we had a bigger budget for port excursions). I've seen in other threads the people have said that they could book two on the same day in advance as long as they were 1.5 hours apart, and you might have to call for the second one.

Just an FYI...in order to book 2 excursions through DCL, there must be 90 minutes between excursions...so if you plan an excursion for the morning and it runs from 8 am to noon, unless the second excursion starts at 1:30 pm or later, DCL will not allow you to book it.

If looking to use only DCL excursions, I found it very difficult on their Alaska itinerary a few years ago to do more than one excursion in a day because of offered times and the time gap between excursions they require. I found most "afternoon" excursions started around noon so no morning excursion would pair with them - just not enough time between. The only port we were able to do 2 DCL excursions was in Skagway. We did the train in the morning and a sled dog experience in the afternoon.

We just returned from the Disney Wonder Alaskan cruise June 4th to 11th, 2018. We did two excursions each port (Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan). We ran a tight schedule, but we booked DCL excursions; then, booked DYI excursions through private operators including DYI walking around town.

However, if you must know your scheduling abilities and your parties eagerness to get to one excursion to the next. We also squeezed in lunch back on the ship, local coffee breaks, and shopping.

We are all completely exhausted and recovering; but well worth it.

Also, if you are planning for Skagway in the future, please note that Skagway's businesses, train, and other tourist operations have now been bought by Carnival Cruise. This might affect pricing and availabilities in the future.

We just returned from the Disney Wonder Alaskan cruise June 4th to 11th, 2018. We did two excursions each port (Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan). We ran a tight schedule, but we booked DCL excursions; then, booked DYI excursions through private operators including DYI walking around town.

However, if you must know your scheduling abilities and your parties eagerness to get to one excursion to the next. We also squeezed in lunch back on the ship, local coffee breaks, and shopping.

We are all completely exhausted and recovering; but well worth it.

Also, if you are planning for Skagway in the future, please note that Skagway's businesses, train, and other tourist operations have now been bought by Carnival Cruise. This might affect pricing and availabilities in the future.

The article I read about that said that they bought a SHARE but there were still two other corporations involved that were handling the basic running of the stuff.

If Carnival truly takes over, that will be a "sea day at port" for me - assuming they even let any other lines have dock berths.

If Carnival truly takes over, that will be a "sea day at port" for me - assuming they even let any other lines have dock berths.

Me, too! Last week when we visited, we appreciated how the owners had families who were helping run the other stores. They gave me more information about growing up in Skagway and living there.

Here's the article that I read so that it's easier for those that would like to read the announcement:

(11:35 a.m. EDT) -- Carnival Corporation & plc has entered into an agreement, through its subsidiary Holland America Princess Alaska Tours, to acquire TWC Enterprises Limited's White Pass & Yukon Route (WP&YR) division. This includes the popular White Pass scenic rail, which goes between Skagway and Whitehorse, as well as port and retail operations in Skagway, Alaska. The sale is scheduled to close on July 31, 2018.

"As the gateway to the legendary Klondike Gold Rush region, Skagway is beloved by our guests and crew for its warm hospitality and distinctively Alaskan array of sightseeing and recreational activities," said Stein Kruse, group CEO of Carnival Corporation & plc's Holland America Group and Carnival UK, in a press release. Carnival Corporation & plc is the parent company of Carnival Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Cunard.

He added that the overall investment will include support for the expansion of the docking facilities in Skagway to "accommodate the newest generation of cruise ships."

Carnival Corp. also said it plans to partner with Survey Point Holdings, Inc., a company based in Ketchikan, Alaska, putting that company in charge of the management of the White Pass Scenic Railway, as well as the associated retail operations in Skagway.

"We are delighted that the Skagway port will continue to be locally owned and independently operated by an Alaskan company," Kruse said. "Along with Survey Point, we have a long and valued history in Alaska, and remain very committed to the continued development and success of the entire region as one our most popular destinations."

Me, too! Last week when we visited, we appreciated how the owners had families who were helping run the other stores. They gave me more information about growing up in Skagway and living there.

Here's the article that I read so that it's easier for those that would like to read the announcement:

(11:35 a.m. EDT) -- Carnival Corporation & plc has entered into an agreement, through its subsidiary Holland America Princess Alaska Tours, to acquire TWC Enterprises Limited's White Pass & Yukon Route (WP&YR) division. This includes the popular White Pass scenic rail, which goes between Skagway and Whitehorse, as well as port and retail operations in Skagway, Alaska. The sale is scheduled to close on July 31, 2018.

"As the gateway to the legendary Klondike Gold Rush region, Skagway is beloved by our guests and crew for its warm hospitality and distinctively Alaskan array of sightseeing and recreational activities," said Stein Kruse, group CEO of Carnival Corporation & plc's Holland America Group and Carnival UK, in a press release. Carnival Corporation & plc is the parent company of Carnival Cruise Line, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Cunard.

He added that the overall investment will include support for the expansion of the docking facilities in Skagway to "accommodate the newest generation of cruise ships."

Carnival Corp. also said it plans to partner with Survey Point Holdings, Inc., a company based in Ketchikan, Alaska, putting that company in charge of the management of the White Pass Scenic Railway, as well as the associated retail operations in Skagway.

"We are delighted that the Skagway port will continue to be locally owned and independently operated by an Alaskan company," Kruse said. "Along with Survey Point, we have a long and valued history in Alaska, and remain very committed to the continued development and success of the entire region as one our most popular destinations."

Ok, that definitely makes it sound like they are more in charge than the original news release about it I saw.

Having experienced their created (and it totally felt fake-created) Amber Cove in the Caribbean, I have zero desire to experience their attempts at anything in Alaska.

(Though honestly if it gets replaced with Icy Strait Point (which contrary to what I read on these boards is NOT a Disney creation (Disney would have done it so much better) and is NOT Disney owned), that will be a "sea day at port" for me as well. That was possibly more fake than Amber Cove was. No desire to go back.)

Okay, so based on the idea that we can only do one per port, here is what were are thinking:

Icy Strait Point - Whale Watching & Seafood Feast
Skagway - Sunset Horseback Adventure
Juneau - Dog Sled Summer Camp OR Sled Dog Discovery and Musher's Camp
Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour and Dinner with Crew

If anyone has done any of these and would like to chime in on the experience it would be much appreciated!

Okay, so based on the idea that we can only do one per port, here is what were are thinking:

Icy Strait Point - Whale Watching & Seafood Feast
Skagway - Sunset Horseback Adventure
Juneau - Dog Sled Summer Camp OR Sled Dog Discovery and Musher's Camp
Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour and Dinner with Crew

If anyone has done any of these and would like to chime in on the experience it would be much appreciated!
  • Skagway is really great if you have time before the excursion, I highly recommend walking around town as early as you can. My family did the Horseback Adventure.
  • Juneau - both activities sound great - We did the Dog Sledding Summer Camp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter