• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mulan being released next month on Disney Plus

I hadn't considered the idea that people who don't yet have D+ might be turned off by thinking that it's NOT just a monthly fee and that random movies could also require an upcharge (I'm not saying it would be "random" movies, but the impression could still be there)

I am just trying to think how this would work. If they put a "buy now" button in the D+ app (any app), the chances a child will hit "buy now" is pretty good. On the other hand, if they off-site the purchase like Hulu does (you need to get on a computer instead of the app), then the chances of me (an adult) making a spontaneous buy drops. And where would the ad be so you know you can purchase? In the app software or on a landing page on computer? Software design and consumer flow is important when selling things.

Hulu does this loopy thing where I can look at channels to purchase in the app (ps4, not sure about the phone app) but I have to run to my computer, log in and search for the thing I wanted. Invariable, with the fine print, I can't even tell if what I see on the computer is the same thing I saw in the app. So, I have never made a purchase.

Plus Hulu has some rather odd options for viewing. I looked up the TV show Cloak and Dagger on the PS4. I saw a suggestion to purchase an add-on channel, so I could watch it for "free" with that pay-for channel. I scrolled down and found the show was actual on Hulu, which didn't require me to do or buy anything. Disney/Hulu doesn't make good choices from a consumer perspective sometimes.

I have been looking forward to watching Mulan at the big screen. I love the animated version. I am an Asian American (mostly Americanized) who grew up as a tomboy. I can relate to Mulan. However, I am reading all this different culture take on the live version that I will be devastated and may regret paying the 30 while still being unemployed. I usually do the $6 Tuesday movie special at the dinner theaters. My friends wont go to the theaters during this covid so they expect me to pay $30 and watch at my house since I have the reclining sofa, also. I hope it will have English subtitles. I, too, have a hard time understanding the Asian accent. My friends will bring the food and popcorn. I hope I can watch it multiple times so my grown children can watch it, too.

If Disney ruins the live Mulan for me, I still have Merida from Brave.

the look on my husband's face when I told him about this... he wants to cancel our Disney + subcription because, "we pay them for access to Disney movies!"
I feel the same way tbh. I have some aggressive savings goals and things I want to do with my money this year . Paying $34.99
(Canadian ) for a movie on a service that I already pay for is ridiculous IMO. It’s not worth it to us. We will be cancelling when the renewal period comes. We got it for the family for Christmas and its been used maybe 10 times total.

I wonder how much Disney can hose themselves with this plan.

How many times are they going to deal with "the kid bought it"? Do you refund or not? It's not a rental, so the new owner can view it anytime they please, even if "the kid bought it". I'd lean on "no refunds, not ever" but that will create hard feelings. How much will it cost to drop in the features needed to sell something on a service that started off with no features to sell things? Are they going to drop an ad for Mulan on D+? A lot of moving parts.

They should drop this one on Hulu, because that service already has tiered, pay for services, and already has a built in system to block kids from purchasing. Why rebuild the Hulu wheel with something that could go wrong from a consumer perspective on D+?

I read that you can't purchase through the app. You msut go to the website and enter the CC information. It doesn't mean kids won't do that, but they can't easily do it through the interface, so that's good.

For long time Mulan stayed on the Dutch movie theater calendars, with a release date for tomorrow. It was removed last week, but no news if we will get it on Disney + here in NL.

We might buy it with a group of friends and split the bill. It is not how we wanted to make a nicht out of it, but we also dont want to wait for it to be released in the theaters in the far future (if at all)

Only thing to be discussed: we all have an individual Disney+ account, who will buy it and can see it again ;)

I was totally against it at first. But now we are going to make a movie theater outside and watch it. We are going to use a projector and putting a king size sheet up against the garage. It works really good. We will invite people over and the giant bag of popcorn from Costco. I figure this way we will actually save money compared to going out.

I read that you can't purchase through the app. You msut go to the website and enter the CC information. It doesn't mean kids won't do that, but they can't easily do it through the interface, so that's good.

Maybe they are using Hulu's codes or at least the method. That is good. (I'm still cursing the day I typed in my credit card for a kid's account on some game for a phone.)

I was looking forward to seeing this on the big screen. I was going to take my oldest to his first PG-13 movie. We were going to go with my best friend and maybe her son. I am not paying $30 for it. If I can't see it on the big screen, I will wait until it is released on Disney + for the masses.

I just logged in to Disney Plus and the Mulan page is up :)

Now this is interesting, it costs €21.99 in Europe, which is a very good price point. I can see a big number of Europeans paying this
mulan disney plus.jpg

I was looking forward to seeing this on the big screen. I was going to take my oldest to his first PG-13 movie. We were going to go with my best friend and maybe her son. I am not paying $30 for it. If I can't see it on the big screen, I will wait until it is released on Disney + for the masses.

I wanted see a movie... any movie. I live outside of Buffalo, NY and I googled "theaters near me". All I got was Canadian theaters but if I extended my search I got Connecticut. :)

Maybe Mulan at home is the best option even if I have a wait a month or two.

I just logged in to Disney Plus and the Mulan page is up :)

Now this is interesting, it costs €21.99 in Europe, which is a very good price point. I can see a big number of Europeans paying this

I checked, also 21,99EUR for NL. I think it's a good price, but I think more people would pay if it was price at 19,50 or 19,99 just to mess with your head a bit :)

Hmm... the gears are spinning now. I'm a building sub in a tiny school. Just 5 special ed classrooms. Doing the math, $5.99+$30.00x5 is just under $180 bucks. I'd be a god... until the subscription ran out.

I'm just bummed because I was supposed to be seeing the premier for free on the Disney Fantasy ship. I don't know if it's worth it for just me and my daughter.

I checked, also 21,99EUR for NL. I think it's a good price, but I think more people would pay if it was price at 19,50 or 19,99 just to mess with your head a bit :)

I just checked and it is $34.99CAD. We'll get it for sure.

I wanted see a movie... any movie. I live outside of Buffalo, NY and I googled "theaters near me". All I got was Canadian theaters but if I extended my search I got Connecticut. :)

Maybe Mulan at home is the best option even if I have a wait a month or two.
I live in California. I am not getting movie theaters anytime soon. This was really something I wanted to experience on the big screen. I am also not a fan of digital media. I still buy dvds and cds.

Free on Disney + come December......but we are getting it Saturday. The whole family (7) are going to watch it.
DD is going to the theater and getting a big bag of popcorn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter