• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MRI Anxiety

lifesavacation

DIS Veteran
I have an MRI coming up on Friday and am feeling pretty anxious about it. I have had one previous failed MRI exam about 7 years ago. I’m having concerning neuro symptoms so I know it’s necessary. I recently had a CT scan, which I was fine with. The contrast portion I did not like at all, but didn’t feel claustrophobic or panicky. It’s just the MRI that makes me anxious. Any tips? I’m not actually worried about the results. I believe, and my doctor believes, this is probably long-Covid. He’s wants to rule everything out before that diagnosis.

is it one of the open mri's? that used to help me to an extent (very claustrophobic). the last couple i've had my doctor arranged for some light sedation. if there's not time to arrange that perhaps the doctor could call in a scrip for something like valium (if you have someone to drive you).

is it one of the open mri's? that used to help me to an extent (very claustrophobic). the last couple i've had my doctor arranged for some light sedation. if there's not time to arrange that perhaps the doctor could call in a scrip for something like valium (if you have someone to drive you).

I do have a driver and the doctor did arrange it with sedation. When I scheduled, nothing was said about not eating or drinking. I’d rather they just knock me completely out so I can stop worrying about it.

I have an MRI coming up on Friday and am feeling pretty anxious about it. I have had one previous failed MRI exam about 7 years ago. I’m having concerning neuro symptoms so I know it’s necessary. I recently had a CT scan, which I was fine with. The contrast portion I did not like at all, but didn’t feel claustrophobic or panicky. It’s just the MRI that makes me anxious. Any tips? I’m not actually worried about the results. I believe, and my doctor believes, this is probably long-Covid. He’s wants to rule everything out before that diagnosis.
I understand. :hug: I'm a pretty cool cucumber but a cranio-spinal MRI for a neuro work-up was much more difficult for me to get through than I ever expected. In hindsight, one of the things that bothered me most was feeling constructed inside the head cage. If I ever need another one, I will ask and get a very satisfying answer to the question "How do I get out of this thing in case of emergency?". I'm not even prone to anxiety but for some reason, every single worst-case scenario ran through my mind and I had no clue how to get myself out if I had to.

Overall, MRI technology is practically a miracle and I'm grateful for it. I wish you well and hope you get through it as the benefits are certainly worth it. :flower3:

I don’t really have any good tips but just wanted to say I know how you feel. I’ve had multiple mris in the last 3 years. I will probably have to have them every 6 months or so to monitor so health stuff so I will be all too familiar with them.

I do pick one facility over another due to it having a new room/machine. They have a little mirror on top where I can see the tech vs the hospital that doesn’t. It is nice to know someone is there.

Ive gotten kind of used to them so I tell the tech I like to zone out once it starts so I close my eyes before I even go in the tube. My biggest issue is I always seem to get an inch or need to sneeze, especially when they hold your breath.

I’ve had multiple mris in a row, those are tough. I tend close my and start thinking about anything besides what I’m doing at that time. I mentally plan my next Disney trip, day by day, itineray,etc.

Good luck!

Overall, MRI technology is practically a miracle and I'm grateful for it. I wish you well and hope you get through it as the benefits are certainly worth it. :flower3:

absolutely-and i remember when they were so cost prohibitive for hospitals to purchase that they were on large trucks and the hospital would only have them for a handful of days per month. i remember waiting 6 months for an appointment.

@ronandannette - that head cage is the worst! My first ever MRI was lower so they didn’t use that. My next one was upper so they put it on. I had no idea what was happening since the tech said nothing about it. It felt like I was trapped and that was probably the worst thing I’ve had done in an MRI. At least the next time I knew what was coming. I close my eyes when they are putting it on. I usually open and take a few breaths before going in the tube and that helps. They do give me the emergency squeeze thing so that helps too.

I do wish they didn’t take so long but am also grateful for such detailed imaging. I’ve had CTs and they didn't give anywhere near the amount detail the mris do.

I had to have several of them a few years ago and didn’t mind them too much. I was able to zone out in a sort of meditative state. Some facilities will offer you noise cancelling headphones to wear and you can listen to music, or perhaps bring your own music and earphones, so I would ask about that. And having sedation will help you to relax. Good luck.

I understand. :hug: I'm a pretty cool cucumber but a cranio-spinal MRI for a neuro work-up was much more difficult for me to get through than I ever expected. In hindsight, one of the things that bothered me most was feeling constructed inside the head cage. If I ever need another one, I will ask and get a very satisfying answer to the question "How do I get out of this thing in case of emergency?". I'm not even prone to anxiety but for some reason, every single worst-case scenario ran through my mind and I had no clue how to get myself out if I had to.

I've had multiple of the head-cage. They always give me an emergency button to push.... and I take xanax before I go in, plus they put a cloth over my eyes. These keep me from panicking.

Ask if you can bring your own music. My hospital has a cd player connected to their MRI and you can listen to whatever you want. The sound is still annoying but better than nothing.

They also project images (birds flying or an aquarium with fish etc) on the wall behind me which I can see via the mirror. It didn't work last time. So I just closed my eyes and focused on my breathing, like meditation.

I have had so many that I have a routine.

Ask the technician to talk you through the test, as in to say, "This part is 3 minutes," or ,"we have a few left to go," it really helps a ton with not feeling isolated. Twice I had oddball techs years ago who claimed to have no idea what I was asking for so I calmly explained it and they accommodated me, but most know precisely.

Have a favorite Pandora or Spotify station in mind you can sing along with when you notice what song is on, last one I asked for Pink but Bee Gees is fun too because I know all the songs. Now you won't be able to hear it very clearly because the machines make a racket but I tend to fill in the noisy spots by following along with the music bast as I remember, this also helps whittle away the time.

I haven't had the thing on my head in a long while but if they give you one do ask for a mirror and stare at the little mirror out into the room. I prefer the head thing with the mirror to be honest, last time I didn't get one and I wished I had it.

As for an emergency, they should he handing you a little buzzer, I have always had a buzzer. Also, the tech should be looking at you during the test, there is a little camera on your face so they can observe you.

Skip coffee to reduce angst.

I had to have several of them a few years ago and didn’t mind them too much. I was able to zone out in a sort of meditative state. Some facilities will offer you noise cancelling headphones to wear and you can listen to music, or perhaps bring your own music and earphones, so I would ask about that. And having sedation will help you to relax. Good luck.

Relaxing music would be nice. My failed MRI they told me no music because it would have to be dangerously loud to hear over the machine. I’m having hyper sensitivity to sounds as one of my symptoms so noise cancelling headphones would be really nice.

I only had one, a few years ago now. I can at times have some feelings of claustrophobia. So I was a little concerned. My solution was to close my eyes while I was still outside and never opened them until it was over.

My tip would be to tell them you are nervous and to please check in on you. They should also give you a button to press if you just need to hear from someone. They want to know if you are nervous and should make sure to check in frequently. Also ask them to give you updates on time left. I think this helps too. You can also ask for sedation if you feel you need it. Good luck!

The hand buzzer was no relief to me at all. The issue was I needed to know how to get myself out. I'm sure there's a way; I'll be confident in it before I ever get back in the tube. And in my case, they denied any type of sedation because they said being too relaxed, or even falling asleep, could result in involuntary movement that would be adverse to the images. That apparently isn't everybody's experience though and honestly, if they offered it I would have probably declined because I couldn't imagine needing it, beforehand. :o

Relaxing music would be nice. My failed MRI they told me no music because it would have to be dangerously loud to hear over the machine. I’m having hyper sensitivity to sounds as one of my symptoms so noise cancelling headphones would be really nice.
The past few years they gave me earplugs. Nothing metal is allowed so fancy noise canceling will be out, but it's a low deep sound nothing high pitch and the low deep ones rarely hurt.

I had significant hearing loss and bizzare sound sensitivity over the summer that eased up with Flonase. Never really sorted it out as to why but I get migraines so random things like this just happen from time to time. I get checked out but tend to take these things in stride like a new fun house experience.

There is no way to make it loud enough to hear over the machine, this is true, it's not like it is in your car. But you can hear there is music and catch a tune or lyric every now and again, sort of like if a neighbor is listening to music outside, and to me it is calming. I've had techs refuse to play music as well and assume it is more about them being grouchy people than anything else so if they say no I leave it be and just sing to myself, I would imagine they often regret not accommodating me because I sing like Happy Feet.

The hand buzzer was no relief to me at all. The issue was I needed to know how to get myself out. I'm sure there's a way; I'll be confident in it before I ever get back in the tube. And in my case, they denied any type of sedation because they said being too relaxed, or even falling asleep, could result in involuntary movement that would be adverse to the images. That apparently isn't everybody's experience though and honestly, if they offered it I would have probably declined because I couldn't imagine needing it, beforehand. :o
Well, imagine you are in a long pipe up to your waist, the only way out is to literally shimmy yourself out towards where you came in and roll off. Now, this wouldn't be my first choice, but in an emergency like a zombie apocalypse, I would shimmy out. You can even shimmy out of the head thing if it is on, it's not tight or anything and is light plastic so more of a guide than binding in any way.

I just had one last month and have had quite a few, getting stuck was never a concern. They don't invite movement but don't really prevent it either.

If you are anxious avoid coffee or anything that could amp you up, I just sort of chill.

The only one that bothers me is the breast one because you go in face down and that is very hard on my back & neck but even that is tolerable with medication and numbing gel.

Well, imagine you are in a long pipe up to your waist, the only way out is to literally shimmy yourself out towards where you came in and roll off. Now, this wouldn't be my first choice, but in an emergency like a zombie apocalypse, I would shimmy out. You can even shimmy out of the head thing if it is on, it's not tight or anything and is light plastic so more of a guide than binding in any way.

I just had one last month and have had quite a few, getting stuck was never a concern. They don't invite movement but don't really prevent it either.

If you are anxious avoid coffee or anything that could amp you up, I just sort of chill.

The only one that bothers me is the breast one because you go in face down and that is very hard on my back & neck but even that is tolerable with medication and numbing gel.
That didn't seem possible with the head cage clicked down. :( Of course, I didn't try moving my arms up to see if the thing was movable. Again, we're talking about somewhat irrational reactions here. There was no urgent reason I had to get out, nor any real expectation of one.

I've pretty much had my entire body scanned at this point. The head MRIs are the worse for me and I'm never given sedation because it's so hard for me to find someone who can drive me home.

I find that keeping my eyes closed the entire time works best, except when I was in a newer machine that had colors and images projected that actually were calming.

I always ask for music, even if they tell me it's going to be drowned out by the noise from the machine, I still request it.

The worse experience I've had was actually having a seizure inside the machine.

I only had one, a few years ago now. I can at times have some feelings of claustrophobia. So I was a little concerned. My solution was to close my eyes while I was still outside and never opened them until it was over.
That's me too. Close my eyes and mentally recite the rosary in my head. I have an MRI of my head every year due to an inoperable pituitary tumor. Had gamma knife radiation on it a year ago, that was a lot more, between the MRI and the radiation part, I did get the sedation for that one.
I do not think you can get yourself out. Plus they always remind me that the door to the room is sealed and it takes a longer time for them to open it to come in and pull you out of there than normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter