Moving trip to Summer - How hot is it?

DisneyElite4

DIS Veteran
We are having to move our trip to either June or July - we were set to leave on Saturday, but 2 out of 5 of us have Covid.

This trip has now been rescheduled twice. We were planning July 2020 and that was cancelled for obvious reasons, and everyone is super bummed. Can some DL experts please tell me that summer is way better than early March?

I am a little concerned about weather. We went to Orlando in Summer 2020 and 2021, and it was HOT and HUMID. Is Disnelyand better in the summer than Orlando?

We are having to move our trip to either June or July - we were set to leave on Saturday, but 2 out of 5 of us have Covid.

This trip has now been rescheduled twice. We were planning July 2020 and that was cancelled for obvious reasons, and everyone is super bummed. Can some DL experts please tell me that summer is way better than early March?

I am a little concerned about weather. We went to Orlando in Summer 2020 and 2021, and it was HOT and HUMID. Is Disnelyand better in the summer than Orlando?
In June, you will have the marine layer clouds over Anaheim and dissipate in the morning. June most of the times, highs will be from the upper 70s to lower 80s. A 90 degree day cannot be ruled out for June. Lows in the 60s. July will be warmer mid 80s to mid 90s for highs and lows in the upper 60s and low 70s. August and September lately have been the hottest months of the summer season.

Depends on how you like your heat (or don't). Personally, I find hot and humid to be very oppressively hot. (As in, hard to breathe and hard to ever get cooled down because you're sticky all the time.) So if you didn't like that in Florida, you'll probably be fine in California summer. It is not a wet sticky heat like Florida, and while there are random heat waves, it can be quite nice during that time of year.

I was there in both June and July last year and the weather was perfect, IMO. August was a bit hotter when I went, but still tolerable.

Just dress for the weather and stay hydrated and you'll likely be fine.

We've never gone in July but have gone twice in June. The mornings and evenings are sublime. Just be mindful of midday as it can sneak up on you. We always build in some pool time around 3-5pm to cool down. Stay hydrated and wear comfortable clothing.

If you are playing the odds it will likely be warm to really warm, but not crazy hot. We've gone in July and got lucky with days getting up to about 80-85 for the week we were there. Was hot if just standing in place somewhere with no shade, but not at all unbearable. A week or so after we were there they had a bit of a hotter stretch and it was in the mid 90s. But that is above the typical average temps for June/July so you should be fine, and yes, it will be better than WDW with the crazy summer humidity.

Thank you so much everyone! This is so helpful, and encouraging that summer Anaheim is more doable then summer Orlando. I hate Covid SO much right now.

I’m really leaning towards July because that works better with our schedules. We were going to stay at Grand Cal, but that sadly won’t work now. Any good recommendations of places to stay for a family of 5? (Kids 10, 8, 8.) We really want to all be in one bigger-ish room, and that makes things tricky. Walkable is also a big plus, but having to take a shuttle isn’t a deal breaker.

We went in late June last year and yes...it gets hot mid-day. But mornings and evenings are tolerable. We always took breaks in the afternoons. I also carried a small umbrella for some extra shade because I really do hate heat. I will NOT go to WDW in the summer. It's unbearable to me. Summer in Anaheim isn't my favorite but I manage okay.

As for where to stay....are you looking for hotels that are a bit nicer? Or not as picky on that? Do you prefer indoor hallways or are you okay with motel-style doors to outside? Do you want free breakfast? How far is too far to walk?

We went in late June last year and yes...it gets hot mid-day. But mornings and evenings are tolerable. We always took breaks in the afternoons. I also carried a small umbrella for some extra shade because I really do hate heat. I will NOT go to WDW in the summer. It's unbearable to me. Summer in Anaheim isn't my favorite but I manage okay.

As for where to stay....are you looking for hotels that are a bit nicer? Or not as picky on that? Do you prefer indoor hallways or are you okay with motel-style doors to outside? Do you want free breakfast? How far is too far to walk?
We are eyeing mid-to-late June to early July.

We have 3 kids - I don’t need anything super nice. Clean, safe, decent pool (don’t need a slide), and a room that sleeps 5 are the most important. We are fine with motel-style rooms that open to the outdoors. Secondary priorities are walkable (10-15 minutes) and free breakfast. I was eyeing Candy Cane Inn because it looks nice, sleeps 5 and has a breakfast, but I can’t tell if it’s a 10-15 minute walk, or further than that.

I would avoid the days around the 4th of July, if you can. Any holiday is obviously going to be more crowded in the parks.

I've heard people say the walk from Candy Cane is around 10-15. They also have a bus/trolley but it only runs once an hour so you'd want to time it.

Larger rooms at a decent price can be found at the Desert Inn but it's an older hotel, nothing fancy and only has an indoor pool.

A lot of people on these boards like the Howard Johnson on Harbor. I think they have a fun pool area but I don't know much about it. It's walkable but definitely a bit farther than some right across the street.

I haven't stayed at many hotels in the area and we're just a family of 3 but I'm sure others will chime in with good recommendations.

We have 3 kids - I don’t need anything super nice. Clean, safe, decent pool (don’t need a slide), and a room that sleeps 5 are the most important. We are fine with motel-style rooms that open to the outdoors. Secondary priorities are walkable (10-15 minutes) and free breakfast. I was eyeing Candy Cane Inn because it looks nice, sleeps 5 and has a breakfast, but I can’t tell if it’s a 10-15 minute walk, or further than that.
I love Candy Cane Inn, but the rooms are small. Be aware of that. Personally I think they are comfortable for 3-4 people max.

Hojo rooms are considerably bigger than Candy Cane Inn. About the same walking distance. Differences are better pool at hojo, but breakfast and shuttle at CCI.

We like the Desert Palms which is just past the Candy Cane Inn. Nice inside rooms, quiet, free breakfast, and larger room options for about the same price as smaller rooms in some of the closer hotels. And yes, it is 10-15 minute walk from there or Candy Cane Inn so really not bad at all.

Disneyland weather is always better than Orlando… we get heat, but it’s never as humid as Florida. Natives will complain about “humidity”, but as a native Houstonian, Houston is literally a city built in a swamp, I will tell you humidity here is slim to none. June can be pretty pleasant…. Even if you do get a hot day, it cools off at night, and the mornings are pleasant. Same with early to mid July.

Personally, I prefer summer over winter. June is usually mild, July can be warm, but not too bad. With children, winter can be tricky. There are coats and hats to lug around. The water rides are off limits because we'll be too cold. A lot of rides are being refurbished. It's so easy in the summer. I think you'll have a wonderful time!

As east coasters, my wife and I always find it amusing when we are at DLR and hear Californians say “it’s so humid today!” Because compared to what we are used to, it really never is. We find July and August in DLR to be glorious; 85 degrees or so every day, no rain, and (by our standards) low humidity.

We went last year June 28-July 2 and it was SO hot-in the 90s every day. We used lots of little tricks to stay cool but the heat had a big impact on our trip. We ended up going back to the hotel for most of the afternoon. The mornings and evenings were bearable. If you plan for it you'll be fine, and hopefully it won't be as hot this year.

Thank you everyone! We have rescheduled our flights to June 17-25. Trying to focus on the positives - since we have moved it to the summer, we have time to add on an extra day! And a lot of things were going to be closed for the March trip that we are really interested in, so hopefully everything will be fully running in mid-to-late June.

Now to choose a hotel. Based on availability, pricing, location and the ability to sleep 5, we've narrowed it down to a premium room at Candy Cane Inn, a Family Suite at Hyatt House Anaheim or a regular room at Desert Palms.

With a summer trip, you'll likely see longer hours and more staffing in the parks, which can make for a better experience, especially if you're willing to rope drop and stay late. We were there July 4-8 last year, in park July 5-7, and we had a great experience with rope dropping each morning, taking an afternoon break out of the heat, then closing down the park each night. If I remember correctly, the parks opened at 7 or 8, and DL was open until Midnight, so that was a lot of hours in the day, which made the mid-day break work out well. We did stay at GCH, so we went back to the hotel for a rest and some food, as well as AC. It was a great way to handle the heat, so I definitely recommend staying close enough to take that afternoon break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter