Moving to Orlando new home companies

monica9

DIS Veteran
Hi. I’ve had some great info with other questions about moving to Orlando on this site and truthfully I have no idea where else on the web to ask questions. Does anyone know about pop up communities? My husband isn’t a huge fan but open to looking into them. I have googled and looks like there are a bunch but does anyone know of reliable ones? Looking to possibly just buy a brand New home in a community. I see a few in winter garden and after researching, I like the town on paper. Does anyone have any advice? I see there are some in Davenport, Lake Nona, etc. we want to be 25 min or less from Disney. would you suggest buying one of these new? We will be flying there and really doing as much research as possible before making a decision but we also don’t want to blindly rent and have our children have to move schools once we buy. I’m also hearing renting is tough. Also, are there Orlando suburbs that are within 25 minutes of Disney that bypass i4 for everything except going into Disney? Is i4 something that you HAVE to go on if you live in Orlando without going way out of your way?
where I live there are a lot of cut throughs and parallel roads to avoid certain highways. If this helps, we aren’t looking to move until July/august 2022 and do not have to sell our home if this makes any difference.
Thanks for the help

Just curious. What do you mean by pop up community? I've never heard of such a thing.
Sorry, that’s what people call them near me. Just a big area of development with similar houses, HOA’s, has one of each thing like a grocery store, gas station, restaurant, etc. I’m only hearing this, not that I have experience with it

With the price of lumber etc being so high right now, if you have a good realtor they may advise you against buying a new home right now. I am NOT a realtor, but have had two tell my in laws ( that want to move down here near us) that building right now may not get them the best return for their money if/when they want to sell. Housing is so inflated right now, it will eventually go down though!

With the price of lumber etc being so high right now, if you have a good realtor they may advise you against buying a new home right now. I am NOT a realtor, but have had two tell my in laws ( that want to move down here near us) that building right now may not get them the best return for their money if/when they want to sell. Housing is so inflated right now, it will eventually go down though!
That actually crossed my mind. Thank you. I will definitely consider that and hopefully prices start to decline by next summer

Hi. I’ve had some great info with other questions about moving to Orlando on this site and truthfully I have no idea where else on the web to ask questions. Does anyone know about pop up communities? My husband isn’t a huge fan but open to looking into them. I have googled and looks like there are a bunch but does anyone know of reliable ones? Looking to possibly just buy a brand New home in a community. I see a few in winter garden and after researching, I like the town on paper. Does anyone have any advice? I see there are some in Davenport, Lake Nona, etc. we want to be 25 min or less from Disney. would you suggest buying one of these new? We will be flying there and really doing as much research as possible before making a decision but we also don’t want to blindly rent and have our children have to move schools once we buy. I’m also hearing renting is tough. Also, are there Orlando suburbs that are within 25 minutes of Disney that bypass i4 for everything except going into Disney? Is i4 something that you HAVE to go on if you live in Orlando without going way out of your way?
where I live there are a lot of cut throughs and parallel roads to avoid certain highways. If this helps, we aren’t looking to move until July/august 2022 and do not have to sell our home if this makes any difference.
Thanks for the help
I'd suggest doing as much research you can, talking with real estate agents and visiting potential communities to narrow your search.

Do you have a job you are going to? Commute time and schools are critical factors. Driving 25 minutes to Disney may be great, but having to commute 120 minutes a day to work would be miserable.

Orlando has many planned communities, but some come with HOA and CDD fees that can disguise the true cost of living in them.

Your move is a year out, and right now the real estate market is moving at light speed and is 100% a seller's market. Hopefully, it will settle down in a year and give you more options and you will have the knowledge to act when you find something you like and not just be hoping.

There’s plenty of areas where you can work, live, and play without getting on I-4 and want to be near Disney. Dr. Phillips, Winter Garden, Windermere, and Clermont, just to name a few.
What you call a “pop-up” community are referred to as “masterplanned communities” here; a walled off neighborhood of similar houses is called a subdivision. They’re not my cup of tea- I hate how there’s no mature trees and all the houses look the same, and some of the builders have less than stellar reputations; builders like to churn out these houses quickly and cheaply. I’d work with a trusted realtor who can recommend quality builders.

DW and I relocated to Orlando exactly 2 years ago next week. We both love Disney and DW wanted to be a castmember. We only had a month to find a place and move once I got a job offer down here. We ended up renting a condo just north of the airport near 436 (Semoran Blvd) and 528 (Toll Road). We are between 30-45 minutes away from most spots on Disney property.

As much as being close to Disney would be nice, I agree with the poster above who said to consider the other factors, such as work commute and schools. I work downtown at the courthouse which is about a 30-40 minute drive. DW works in Apopka which is even further away, and requires the payment of multiple tolls each way. On the days we go to Disney, the drive there and back really doesn't seem bad at all. And we are able to avoid I-4 in almost all circumstances, except when taking 528 to Disney. There are ways to avoid I-4 altogether, but the added time wouldn't be worth the little bit of hassle. I would not want to have to take 1-4 as part of my daily commute.

As much as moving again would be a nuisance, I would strongly suggest renting for the first year to get a feel for Orlando, the drive times between places, and the areas you might be interested in living. Our location was is great for my commute to downtown, and even for the drive to Disney when DW was a castmember and driving back and forth 5 days a week. But we wouldn't have picked it if we knew DW would eventually be working in Apopka. But our condo is in a well maintained development and our rent increases have not been significant. We were hoping to buy a house by now, but the housing market is crazy here, as it is in a lot of places.

ETA: The closer you are to Disney, the more likely that a large percentage of the houses in your neighborhoods are being used as short term rentals.

DW and I relocated to Orlando exactly 2 years ago next week. We both love Disney and DW wanted to be a castmember. We only had a month to find a place and move once I got a job offer down here. We ended up renting a condo just north of the airport near 436 (Semoran Blvd) and 528 (Toll Road). We are between 30-45 minutes away from most spots on Disney property.

As much as being close to Disney would be nice, I agree with the poster above who said to consider the other factors, such as work commute and schools. I work downtown at the courthouse which is about a 30-40 minute drive. DW works in Apopka which is even further away, and requires the payment of multiple tolls each way. On the days we go to Disney, the drive there and back really doesn't seem bad at all. And we are able to avoid I-4 in almost all circumstances, except when taking 528 to Disney. There are ways to avoid I-4 altogether, but the added time wouldn't be worth the little bit of hassle. I would not want to have to take 1-4 as part of my daily commute.

As much as moving again would be a nuisance, I would strongly suggest renting for the first year to get a feel for Orlando, the drive times between places, and the areas you might be interested in living. Our location was is great for my commute to downtown, and even for the drive to Disney when DW was a castmember and driving back and forth 5 days a week. But we wouldn't have picked it if we knew DW would eventually be working in Apopka. But our condo is in a well maintained development and our rent increases have not been significant. We were hoping to buy a house by now, but the housing market is crazy here, as it is in a lot of places.

ETA: The closer you are to Disney, the more likely that a large percentage of the houses in your neighborhoods are being used as short term rentals.
Thank you. My husband would work at Lockheed Martin in Orlando. I feel like if we are close to Disney then we are close to Lockheed for the most part. Correct me if I’m wrong though because again, I don’t really understand the area and the traffic. All I know if I want to be on the side that winter garden/Oakland is to Disney not the opposite nor right on i4. My goal is to avoid i4 as much as possible. Do you know if Oakland or Davenport are safe? We have two children.

Thank you. My husband would work at Lockheed Martin in Orlando. I feel like if we are close to Disney then we are close to Lockheed for the most part. Correct me if I’m wrong though because again, I don’t really understand the area and the traffic. All I know if I want to be on the side that winter garden/Oakland is to Disney not the opposite nor right on i4. My goal is to avoid i4 as much as possible. Do you know if Oakland or Davenport are safe? We have two children.
LM has more than one site in Orlando: the two that come to mind are in east Orange County off Lake Underhill Rd. and one slightly off I-4 on Sand Lake Rd. The latter is closer to Disney.

No if he is at Global Innovation as you say, then that is not close to Disney. I would suggest marking a map with work, Disney and neighborhoods that have interested you then do some travel times via app during normal work etc travel times.

LM has more than one site in Orlando: the two that come to mind are in east Orange County off Lake Underhill Rd. and one slightly off I-4 on Sand Lake Rd. The latter is closer to Disney.

⬇ OP has stated Global Innovation Campus which is 12 miles due east from Downtown Orlando and 30 miles from Disney, the farthest campus.

Thank you. This is so hard! I’m having a hard time finding a town similar to where we are. I believe the Lockheed is on Global innovation. I don’t necessarily want to be too close to the touristy area and willing to drive up to 45 minutes especially if I only did it part time. It’s showing from Oviedo to Lockheed is only 20 min no tolls or 17 with tolls. I’m assuming there may more to it than that. Traffic?
the other towns we are looking in seem so expensive eg. winter park, celebration, Windermere. We are looking for houses 550 or less

⬇ OP has stated Global Innovation Campus which is 12 miles due east from Downtown Orlando and 30 miles from Disney, the farthest campus.

Not being overly familiar with LM, I was just pointing out that there's more than one location. I'd expect the OP to figure out which one she's talking about.

In any event, this one is on Lake Underhill, which is what I said is the location farther from Disney.

Since he’s going to be working on the east side of town, I would look at living over there, unless you want to commute via toll roads and add that cost to your bills each month, plus the cost of gas. Waterford Lakes, Avalon Park, Winter Park, Conway and parts of downtown Orlando would be easier. With Davenport you’d probably still end up on I-4 a bit, and then you’d take the 417 (another toll road), and that’s about an hour commute. Davenport is safe but doesn’t have very good schools if that’s a concern.

Not being overly familiar with LM, I was just pointing out that there's more than one location. I'd expect the OP to figure out which one she's talking about.

In any event, this one is on Lake Underhill, which is what I said is the location farther from Disney.
I think the street is called innovation circle or something. I’ll have to ask my husband the exact address

We relocated last August. We couldn't find an existing home we liked in our price range that wasn't going to require us to do renovations to make it our style, so we ended up building. We went under contract on our new construction last July and moved in this past February. We lived in a temporary furnished apartment from August - February. Our things were stored by the moving company through our relocation benefits. We decided on Winter Springs, near Oviedo. We have two young kids so schools were important. My husband works in Lake Mary and we are conveniently located near the Toll Road 417. We love it here and are very happy with our decision. We do have to use I-4 occasionally when going to Universal and sometimes Disney but it's not something we have to deal with on a daily basis. We are about 40 minutes from Disney and 40 minutes from New Smyrna Beach. As others have mentioned - traffic and commute times can be brutal so I'd definitely look at areas near your husbands job that fit your needs versus trying to be close to Disney - we go to the parks often and honestly the drive isn't a big deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter