Moving to Orlando in 3 weeks - need advice

DisneyOrBustColorado

Pixie Dust Adventures
Our family has been considering a move to Florida for years. We have sniffed around areas and homes for sale. At the end of 2015 my DH was let for from his IT job after 18 years. We figured since we have already been looking to move to Florida now is the perfect time. We didn't want to move without first having a job so we have focused our efforts on the job hunt. Yesterday my DH received offer for a job in Orlando and now we will be relocating.

We have 3 weeks from today to get moved from Colorado to Orlando. First and foremost we are searching for a place to live. We think that a rental property might currently be the best decision for us while we shop around the area & put down roots. Good schools and good areas are very important for our family and we do have 2 dogs.

Please post with any advice that you have for relocating to Orlando, finding a rental home or any other guidance that you have for me. Thank you for any suggestions that you have that will help us make our transition go smoothly.

I made the same move from CO -> FL a few months ago!

Definitely watch out for the drive to work. Distance/time is one thing, but also look out for toll roads. It's not like E-470 where you can go your whole life without driving it and never worry about longer drives. When I made the move, my biggest considerations were the drive to work and the drive from Magic Kingdom (the latest open and the longest to get out of), but I also payed attention to what roads I would need to drive to get to the airport, or to a mall, things like that. I had the advantage of having already lived down here during my internship, so I already knew some of the area, but I definitely started thinking longer term (was the lower rent worth the longer commute) with this move. I also really dislike driving, so I was super cognizant of that.

Also watch out for where in Orlando you will be in relation to where you want to spend time. I technically live in Orlando (at the south east end of Disney property), but am 30-45 minutes from the city depending on traffic. Central FL doesn't have a great public transportation system, so you will have to drive everywhere. If you are used to using the RTD systems, then that will be an adjustment (I miss the light rail every day)

Some places to start looking (note that I don't have kids, so I can't speak for schools or things like that. This is all just based off of where friends live) might include: Celebration, Independence, Winter Garden, and Windermere. Celebration is on the south end of property, and the other are all up north. When you settle, there are a ton of developments popping up in Windermere. I know a few people who are building there homes there, and really like the area.

Just wanted to say good luck and come back to tell us how you like it!! Many people wish to move to Orlando or anywhere in Florida. The previous poster mentioned some nice areas close to Disney - I know someone who lives in Clermont and loves it too. Not sure how close you want to be to Disney.

Another vote to find something close to your Dhs job. I love the Dr Phillips area. It's relatively close to everything and has great schools and parks. We moved here in august we had a realtor find us a rental place since we knew nothing about the area and I highly recommend him let me know if you want his number. If you are buying a house a short term lease or month to month might be the best for your family since it's really hard to break a lease in FL.

first of all-congratulations!

no experience with florida living but having moved from one state to another with school aged kiddos I would suggest that since in most places summer break is about to start-check with your current district to find out when/if they have staff to transfer academic records over the summer, and perhaps some of the good folks on this board can give you an idea of what the deal is for district summer hours/enrollment in different areas of florida.

I suggest this b/c it took some paperwork, transfer of records, doctor's appointments (different state rules on immunizations)... to get my kiddos enrolled in a new state's school-and had we moved over the summer I would have quickly learned that our current district is closed for 2 solid months, and the one week it reopens before school starts would not have been enough time to get everything completed (let alone get the doctor's appointment-the 2 months prior to school here every appointment is booked up for months in advance in anticipation of sports physicals).

Can't help specifically with Orlando, but have moved cross country several times on a short turnaround schedule. If there's anyway you can swing it, you & DH should fly to Orlando to spend 3-4 days "casing the place." Leave the kids & dogs with friends/family, rent a car, and spend the days getting the lay of the land. I know you can do a lot on-line, but there's nothing like being on-site, and your only priority will be finding a place to live. A fellow Dis-er could probably recommend a realtor.

Good luck & stay safe! :)

Another vote to find something close to your Dhs job. I love the Dr Phillips area. It's relatively close to everything and has great schools and parks. We moved here in august we had a realtor find us a rental place since we knew nothing about the area and I highly recommend him let me know if you want his number. If you are buying a house a short term lease or month to month might be the best for your family since it's really hard to break a lease in FL.
Sure, I will take a number for anyone. I have had a number of realtors contact me, but not many seem interested in helping us find a rental until we can find the right house. That would be very helpful as we will be moving in sign unseen.

Agree completely with choosing an area by work. Where will your husband be working? That will help a lot for recommendations.

The places I've seen people mention-Celebration, Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Winter Garden are all on the West side of town.

I personally would not recommend those places (except maybe Dr. Phillips since it's not as far out) unless your husband is working near the attractions ares. I commuted for a brief time from the east side to around the convention center and it was horrible.

I also have a preference for the Downtown/Winter Park/College Park/Baldwin Park areas. Lake Nona is also growing and very nice, which I think is South. There's also some nice areas by UCF.

I've gotten calls for jobs that are in a pretty wide area that they call "Orlando" but can be an hour and half away from where I live so IMO work location is key.

Can't help specifically with Orlando, but have moved cross country several times on a short turnaround schedule. If there's anyway you can swing it, you & DH should fly to Orlando to spend 3-4 days "casing the place." Leave the kids & dogs with friends/family, rent a car, and spend the days getting the lay of the land. I know you can do a lot on-line, but there's nothing like being on-site, and your only priority will be finding a place to live. A fellow Dis-er could probably recommend a realtor.

Good luck & stay safe! :)
Thank you for your thoughts. It was our initial plan to spend a few days there searching around, having to start the job 3 weeks from today I don't think will allow for that. We are crossing our fingers that we can find a good rental for a spell while we learn the area & decide where to put down roots.

first of all-congratulations!

no experience with florida living but having moved from one state to another with school aged kiddos I would suggest that since in most places summer break is about to start-check with your current district to find out when/if they have staff to transfer academic records over the summer, and perhaps some of the good folks on this board can give you an idea of what the deal is for district summer hours/enrollment in different areas of florida.

I suggest this b/c it took some paperwork, transfer of records, doctor's appointments (different state rules on immunizations)... to get my kiddos enrolled in a new state's school-and had we moved over the summer I would have quickly learned that our current district is closed for 2 solid months, and the one week it reopens before school starts would not have been enough time to get everything completed (let alone get the doctor's appointment-the 2 months prior to school here every appointment is booked up for months in advance in anticipation of sports physicals).
That is great advice. I never thought of that. Thank you so much!

I guess I should clarify the job location and maybe that might help everyone help me. ;) My DH will be working in Downtown Orlando. It seems pretty central, but we hear that the best areas are north of Orlando for schools etc... ?

I guess I should clarify the job location and maybe that might help everyone help me. ;) My DH will be working in Downtown Orlando. It seems pretty central, but we hear that the best areas are north of Orlando for schools etc... ?

If your husband is working Downtown, I would strongly recommend against Windermere, Celebration, and Winter Garden (or anything in that area). He will have either 40-60 minute commute everyday on the toll road or an hour plus on I4. I've done it and it's miserable (and expensive to avoid I4). Unless he's been used to a long commute I wouldn't even consider it.

Unfortunately, I can't help with schools, but I'd look at Thorton Park (probably the closest to Downton), Winter Park, Baldwin Park (I know has good schools, but is very trendy and very pricey compared to surrounding areas), and College Park.

I live in this area and it was a breeze when I commuted downtown. It took about 10-15min tops.

I should note all the areas I mentioned are within Orlando city limits, Winter Park is its own city.

Start with Greatschools.net and focus on elementary schools, regardless of the age of your kids. The local elementary school will give you the best representation of the smallest area around any neighborhood.

A school rated 9 or 10 will typically be in a nicer and safer area.

with a quick timeline for the move have you considered rather than rushing to find a rental (and locking yourself into a lease before you get the true lay of the land) looking into one of those furnished apartment/motel type of places. I don't know what the availability is like in the Orlando area but the ones in areas we've lived are clean, comfortable, safe and offer a way to stay in an area at a lower cost than a traditional hotel while scouting out housing options.

I've known people to pod up their household belongings, leave them 'back home' and have them delivered when they've settled on a place to rent/buy.

with a quick timeline for the move have you considered rather than rushing to find a rental (and locking yourself into a lease before you get the true lay of the land) looking into one of those furnished apartment/motel type of places. I don't know what the availability is like in the Orlando area but the ones in areas we've lived are clean, comfortable, safe and offer a way to stay in an area at a lower cost than a traditional hotel while scouting out housing options.

I've known people to pod up their household belongings, leave them 'back home' and have them delivered when they've settled on a place to rent/buy.

This occurred to me too--Residence Inn for instance. Not sure of Melissa's situation with furniture/household goods, but the idea of moving TWICE--once to the rental, then into a bought home is daunting.

A brief anecdote: Years ago we had two weeks to move from Oklahoma City, to Miami, FL. I had to work out a two week notice, so DW flew to Miami to look for a place to rent. She stayed only 2 or 3 days, and after the first day she was so unenamored with the price and quality of the rental houses, she decided it was a better idea to buy a house. She returned to OKC having signed a contract to buy our first house without me ever having seen it. This was the 70s so no cell phones, no internet to send pics over. Neither of us had ever been to Florida, much less Miami but we were officially homeowners in the Sunshine State! At the time we had no children, but had accumulated quite a bit of "stuff" for a young couple, and we had dogs. Oh, and I worked a full day on my last day of my job, got in the car at 6pm Friday, drove to Miami over the weekend and started my new job on Monday. The house was great, and we made a nice profit on it when we sold it to move cross country again...to Portland, OR.

Last edited:

There are pockets of great schools in Orlando. I've heard good things about Blankner Elementary/Boone High which are just south of downtown in the Delaney Park/Lake Cherokee area, which is such a charming neighborhood. Winter Park and Audubon Park, which are slightly north of downtown also have very highly rated schools. Audubon Park just won the 2016 Great American Main Street Award.

I also don't think a commute from Dr. Phillips, Windermere or Winter Garden would be too bad either. Dr. Phillips is only 15-20 minutes away from downtown via I-4 with no traffic. With Windermere and Winter Garden you can take the 408 toll road which rarely has any traffic and be downtown in about the same amount of time.

We are in Windermere and drive to Downtown Orlando via the toll road. It takes 30 minutes and we have never had any stopped in traffic issues (like we have on I-4). I think the schools are considered good in this area (no kids in school for me) but I love the area and there are tons of apartments/townhouses available in the area close to MK for renting. Also a brand new storage facility for your excess until you find a home.

Liz

Our family has been considering a move to Florida for years. We have sniffed around areas and homes for sale. At the end of 2015 my DH was let for from his IT job after 18 years. We figured since we have already been looking to move to Florida now is the perfect time. We didn't want to move without first having a job so we have focused our efforts on the job hunt. Yesterday my DH received offer for a job in Orlando and now we will be relocating.

We have 3 weeks from today to get moved from Colorado to Orlando. First and foremost we are searching for a place to live. We think that a rental property might currently be the best decision for us while we shop around the area & put down roots. Good schools and good areas are very important for our family and we do have 2 dogs.

Please post with any advice that you have for relocating to Orlando, finding a rental home or any other guidance that you have for me. Thank you for any suggestions that you have that will help us make our transition go smoothly.

I live far away as well, so no practical advice, but I just wanted to say congratulations!! I'm glad the job change is going to have the silver lining of going somewhere you've wanted all along. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter