Moving to Indianapolis?

Lots of great places to eat along Mass Ave when downtown Indy, including several local spots. You can get everything from pizza to burgers to steak and high end meals- whatever fits your tastes and budget!

I'm on the far far west side. The Avon, Brownsburg, Plainfield area is nice. It takes me about 40 minutes to leave during rush hour, park, and start work after riding the elevator to the floor.

We lived in Fishers before moving here, and Greenwood was our first stop in the city. Coming from the Chicago suburbs, I wasn't too keen on Greenwood. Fishers was very nice, but my husband hated the commute and rat race. Avon has been an very nice compromise for us.

IPS is horrible, and I'd be very very worried the kids wouldn't get into the one or two schools that are good. All but a few people I know inside the doughnut send their kids to private school.

Hi, thought I'd stop here for some advice on what to do in the Indy/Columbus area. We're taking the family out for some recon to see if it lives up to the hype. And decide if feels like a good fit to move to. We're going over Labor Day weekend. I'm pretty excited. Don't know if anyone's ever been as excited to go to IN as I am!

What we have on the agenda:

Indiana State Museum: We have a membership. Make sure to hit the canal out back. For a fun area for dinner/lunch I'd check out Mass Ave. My kids love Sub Zero ice cream after a great lunch at Bru Burger.
Columbus Architecture Tour
Zwanzigz Get Chocolate beer! I mix it with blueberry.
Zaharico's
Blue's Canoes Raft Rental
People Trail Could be a bit boring unless your geocachers.
Driving/Walking around to soak up some local culture

What we wanted to do, but couldn't fit:

Farmer's Market
Conner's Prairie Fun but too far north for your trip.
Segway Tour (youngest is 13, need to be 14)
WWII Museum (13 yo is a huge WWII buff)

What we need advice on:

Other restaurants, I'd rather not hit a chain restaurant if there's a better option. Anything on Massachusetts Avenue is a fun atmosphere, and probably local.
Inside stuff to do (hope the weather is OK). The Indianapolis Museum of Art is fantastic, not to mention free. We took our family last weekend, and everyone loved it. Also the Terra Cotta Warriors from China has the only US stop at the Children's Museum right now. It's pricey, but we enjoyed it.

Kids are 13-17.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

I'd love to answer anything else if you want!

We had a great time!

We found the canal behind the Indiana State Museum. We ran out of time everywhere to do things!

We will have to go back again.

Another vote for Southside or Greenwood area here. It's more of a down to earth feel than the north side, Fishers, Carmel. Noblesville. Stay out of IPS if possible. I have been in Perry township over 30 years and love it. Several good Catholic grade schools, a great Catholic hs too. Love everything about the south side. Good schools, great neighborhoods, good people, close to mall, stores, restaurants, chain and local. Not as much traffic as north side. (sorry north siders). Sense of community. I'm about a mile north of Greenwood and work just north of downtown and it only takes me about 35 minutes to get to work (and that is with going through school traffic in the morning).
If you want Greenwood, can't believe I'm going o say this, but Center Grove is a VERY good area, very good schools. Greenwood is good too. I love the south side and would never move away.

Also, if you need a good realtor, pm me. My brother & sister-in-law work for Keller Williams and are great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter