Moving to Florida assistance thread.

Thanks for the info! Would love to see some pics. of your new place! Just out of curiosity what does a newly built home go for down there? 200k?;)

You can get some for that price level although most are a bit higher. We saw developments starting in the "mid-200's" and going much, much higher.

The area Jeff has chosen is fairly close to Disney.

There are some very nice areas a bit further away where housing has a wide range of prices.

John and I live 17 miles from Disney in an area that we love....but neither of us has to commute.

If you have to work in this area, your commute should be a major factor in where you live. Orlando traffic can be gruesome. Having to deal with I-4 at rush hour might make you hate Florida. If you live in an older industrialized area of the country, living farther from your job (or desired area) usually isn't a problem, as you usually have alternate routes . As there isn't as much infrastructure in Orlando and everyone has to use the same few highways. Choosing a lovely home in a neighborhood on the opposite side of town from where you work / play will add hours in your car to your day.

Jeff has made a great point about not living in a tourist / short term rental community.

If you are buying a vacation home, you will not notice that you have new neighbors each week.

If you are re-locating and choosing a home...this is something that probably won't appeal to you.

My folks bought a vacation home is 1987 and I bought my first Florida house in 2000. John and I looked for many years (through the housing boom and bust) and finally found the house we thought was PERFECT.

What you want is out there. You just have to look for it.

Hope this helps.

The area Jeff has chosen is fairly close to Disney.

There are some very nice areas a bit further away where housing has a wide range of prices.

If you have to work in this area, your commute should be a major factor in where you live. Orlando traffic can be gruesome. Having to deal with I-4 at rush hour might make you hate Florida. If you live in an older industrialized area of the country, living farther from your job (or desired area) usually isn't a problem, as you usually have alternate routes . As there isn't as much infrastructure in Orlando and everyone has to use the same few highways. Choosing a lovely home in a neighborhood on the opposite side of town from where you work / play will add hours in your car to your day.

Jeff has made a great point about not living in a tourist / short term rental community.

What you want is out there. You just have to look for it.

Hope this helps.

All good info! We went through the same search 4 years ago and found the same difficulties that OKW found. We did end up buying an existing home. (After making 12 offers). We rented for 2 years and really narrowed down the area we wanted. Hey, OKW...we are neighbors :wave2: We live in Independence.

The area behind Disney is wonderful! Close to everything but not touristy at all. Just for info - new homes are mostly $250K and up. Stay AWAY from short sales in FL!!! If you choose to look at foreclosures get an agent who specializes because most homes will be committed before they make it to multilist. An existing 3 BR/2B home in the areas around where we live (Winter Garden/Windermere) will be at least 200K.

Good Luck :)

An existing 3 BR/2B home in the areas around where we live (Winter Garden/Windermere) will be at least 200K.

Just for comparison...John and I found a 3000 sqft 4B/3B in St Cloud for much less.

Another thing to think about when making a decision is the school district in which your potential home is located.

If you have school age kids, there are some schools that are highly desired. This will drive housing prices (and taxes) up.

Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions! The one thing that won't be involved is schools for my mom. ;) I definitely think renting is going to be a must. I was looking at places that do shorter term rentals like 3-6 months, but honestly maybe living with it for a year to be sure of an area is going to make more sense. I know they won't want to move again afterwards.

Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions! The one thing that won't be involved is schools for my mom. ;) I definitely think renting is going to be a must. I was looking at places that do shorter term rentals like 3-6 months, but honestly maybe living with it for a year to be sure of an area is going to make more sense. I know they won't want to move again afterwards.

Big British Ex-pat community in the Davenport/Four corners area. Osceola county is zoned for short term rentals, but many of the communities have transitioned from short term to owner occupied. That's why renting is such a help. Two subdivisions side by side can have entirely different personalities.

Cool to see this thread active. We spent years looking (every vacation, lots of driving around) for just the right home and place and are building a town home in Windermere. Love the area and can't wait to be in our vacation home and close to our DIS friends and FLA "family"!

Welcome neighbor! Which subdivision are you building in? There are so many in our general vicinity- many are interconnected with bike/jogging paths.

Just for comparison...John and I found a 3000 sqft 4B/3B in St Cloud for much less.

And some further background, Val & I looked seriously in the same neighborhood and saw some really good choices. Ultimately, we decided to be closer to WDW because we are planning on doing some seasonal work at WDW just for the discounts.

Cool to see this thread active. We spent years looking (every vacation, lots of driving around) for just the right home and place and are building a town home in Windermere. Love the area and can't wait to be in our vacation home and close to our DIS friends and FLA "family"!

Do you have a closing date yet Erika?

Welcome neighbor! Which subdivision are you building in? There are so many in our general vicinity- many are interconnected with bike/jogging paths.

We are in SummerLake.

Wow - all of this information is great! :thumbsup2 Thanks so much jsoren11 for starting this thread and for all of your contributions. I'm starting to think that I might want to relocate to the Orlando area from MA. I'm hoping to retire in the next year or so (but may want to pick up some part time work.) I'm clueless about the area and so this is helpful for me to have all of your insight. I don't have school age kids (obviosly - ready to retire = old!! ;) ), but I do have an elderly mom who is going to need supports sooner rather than later. So, I'm in an exploring mode right now. Thanks again everybody. :):)

Seriously, thank you everyone for the information! I'm starting to apply for jobs in the Orlando area. I'll have to start checking drive times from potential apartments.

I have a phone interview for a job in Maitland on Monday!

ImagineersApprentice said:
Seriously, thank you everyone for the information! I'm starting to apply for jobs in the Orlando area. I'll have to start checking drive times from potential apartments.

I have a phone interview for a job in Maitland on Monday!

Good luck!

So flag I found this thread! Dh and I have been dreaming of moving to FL and after this last (and still ongoing-snow forecasted again soon!) winter, we've had it. I am also a teacher and found out that due to cuts, I won't have a job next year. Looks like the perfect time to move!
Dh and I want to put the house in the market in early spring of 2015 and hope for a summer move!

paintnolish said:
So flag I found this thread! Dh and I have been dreaming of moving to FL and after this last (and still ongoing-snow forecasted again soon!) winter, we've had it. I am also a teacher and found out that due to cuts, I won't have a job next year. Looks like the perfect time to move!
Dh and I want to put the house in the market in early spring of 2015 and hope for a summer move!

I say GO FOR IT!

Hopefully some you are still subscribing to this thread and can answer my questions. I have an interview with Disney this week, and if things pan out, my daughter and I may be moving to FL soon. I would like to rent the first year while I make sure I want this move to be permanent. Based on previous comments I've seen on this thread, there are many good and bad areas. While I've taken many trips to Disney, I'm not familiar with the Orlando area. What would you recommend for FL newbies that is close to Disney but on the safe and affordable side...Kissimmee, Clermont???

Thank you in advance for any information!!!

Welcome to Orlando!

I'm visual so I'll try and describe the area in sections. If you put Bay Lake/ MK at the center of a big circle then draw an X through it you'll see four pie shaped quadrants.

North is Windermere and Winter Garden (sometimes referred to as Horizon West) This is the newest and fastest growing area. Well planned with easy access to Disney. Probably the most expensive area as a whole, though Windermere is pricier than Winter Garden.

East is Dr. Phillips and Williamsburg (Sea World area). Older well developed areas. Dr. Phillips is expensive, Williamsburg is more modest. Good access to Disney on I-4, but not the best commute. Can feel touristy in spots.

South is Kissimmee, Celebration, Four Corners and southern Davenport. Most reasonable costwise. Lots of short term rentals available. Good access to the southern part of WDW. Kissimmee is the oldest and has the most "sketchy" areas. Celebration is very high cost. Most of the area is older and is in transition. You will definitely know your are in a tourist area.

West is Davenport and Clermont. Very nice, fairly new developments. Southern part has short term rentals, northern part does not. Development started around Rt 192 and Rt 27 and moved north. Good roads to Disney but most trips will be 20 - 35 minutes. Beautiful rolling hills.

It's funny but each piece of the pie has it's own distinct personality. Renting for a year is a great idea. We did and were very happy because we ended up in a different area than we would have chosen if we bought when we moved down.

Sorry to be so long winded:blush: PM me when you know if you are moving and I'll be glad to help you if I can.

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful information! I'm crossing my fingers that my interview goes well and that I'll know more soon!!!! I'll make sure to PM you if I'm moving down! It's feels good to know that a fellow DISer will be close by! :)

Need some advice and help.

I am interviewing in 2 weeks for a job/career opportunity. I will most likely rent for about a year, then purchase a home.

I will be working in downtown, and DON"T want to live/rent near the theme park areas, or live anywhere near that kind of traffic, I-4, etc. :drive: :moped:

Can anyone give me any insight into the areas east of Orlando? I don't have to worry about school districts. I am interested in renting a nice apartment home to start, and then I'll see after a year where I might want to move permanently. I want to stay away from major theme park and traffic areas.

Any suggestions? I have noticed some areas called Lake Nona? Azalea Park? Or is it Avalon Park? :confused3 Are these too far out from downtown? What about MetroWest (I know it's west, and not east)? Baldwin Park? Where I rent will not necessarily be where I buy. Right now, I want to be close to work/downtown, but not in the traffic mess of I-4, etc.

Any suggestions on areas east-ish of downtown would be great. Thank you. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter