Moving to Florida assistance thread.

This thread is very interesting. My DH is interviewing for a job next week in the Apopka area. We have two children, going into 2nd and 6th grade, so schools are really my biggest worry. We'd be looking to rent for a year or so in the Apopka/Sanford/Lake Mary area. The school systems seem overwhelming, it's hard to figure where to focus our search for housing! Suggestions?

Good Luck with the interview!

I'm not overly familiar with that side of town. I can tell you that in general Seminole County schools are pretty well regarded in the area. Seminole County would be the Lake Mary area and its neighbors.

Apopka to Sanford is a pretty large area. Your commute from the downtown of Apopka to the downtown of Sanford would be about 40 mins, to Lake Mary about 35mins, more in traffic. Distances are deceiving when commuting in the greater Orlando area. You might want to figure out what length commute would be okay and whether or not you want to be close to the attractions before you begin to look at the schools. There are good and bad schools in pretty much every neighborhood.

Each of the communities you mentioned has it's own distinct personality and areas within each can vary widely. Let me know if I can check out anything here for you. Renting is a great idea as you look for the community that is your best fit.

Does anyone know anything about transferring a teaching certificate to FL? Thanks!

I know this thread is 5 years old now but it has been a great help. As of this July, I'm transferring with my company to our Winter Haven office and am looking for a home. As I am stressing about which area to live, my family and friends asked me, "What do your Dis friends say?" Lol! I remembered this thread and read through it. Lots of great advice! I will certainly miss my family and friends in MD but I think this will be a great move for me. I am looking at the Auburndale area so I won't be too far from work or the parks and still have decent schools. If anyone has advice on a different area, I'll take any and all advice I can get. Three months to pack up your life, choose a new home, and move away to start a new job (same company, different job) isn't a lot of time.

I know this thread is 5 years old now but it has been a great help. As of this July, I'm transferring with my company to our Winter Haven office and am looking for a home. As I am stressing about which area to live, my family and friends asked me, "What do your Dis friends say?" Lol! I remembered this thread and read through it. Lots of great advice! I will certainly miss my family and friends in MD but I think this will be a great move for me. I am looking at the Auburndale area so I won't be too far from work or the parks and still have decent schools. If anyone has advice on a different area, I'll take any and all advice I can get. Three months to pack up your life, choose a new home, and move away to start a new job (same company, different job) isn't a lot of time.
When Val & I moved to FL last year, our criteria was to be within x minutes of the parks. Of course, we are retired and don't have to worry about school age children or work. We also wanted to avoid "tourist" areas (think 192) and neighborhoods that have a lot of short-term rentals. After a while we noticed that I-4 in the Disney area can be a real problem during typical rush hours.

I looked at Auburndale on the FL map though and think you'll probably be fine there. When heading for the parks, just plan on getting off at the World Drive entrance rather than driving further up to the Epcot Center Drive exit off of I-4. That should get you out of the traffic soonest.

Good luck with your move and we look forward to catching up with you down here!

When Val & I moved to FL last year, our criteria was to be within x minutes of the parks. Of course, we are retired and don't have to worry about school age children or work. We also wanted to avoid "tourist" areas (think 192) and neighborhoods that have a lot of short-term rentals. After a while we noticed that I-4 in the Disney area can be a real problem during typical rush hours.

I looked at Auburndale on the FL map though and think you'll probably be fine there. When heading for the parks, just plan on getting off at the World Drive entrance rather than driving further up to the Epcot Center Drive exit off of I-4. That should get you out of the traffic soonest.

Good luck with your move and we look forward to catching up with you down here!
Solid advice Jeff - thanks! I looked at the mileage and it didn't look bad (just over 30 min) but then when I saw it with traffic (I-4), it was well over an hour! I will have to look into alternative routes or times if I end up in Auburndale, I guess. I'm looking forward to catching up with you and Val once I'm all unpacked. Thanks!!

We just listed our house yesterday here in PA! Fingers crossed that we sell quickly and can move down at the end of June or in July!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter