Moving the MK opening show was a brilliant idea

FlightlessDuck

Y kant Donald fly?
We just got back from a WDW trip in June, and I just wanted to point out that I believe the decision to do the opening show in front of the castle was a brilliant move. I understand the old show was fun, and there was a Family of the Day (and we were even FotD in 2006!), but as we entered the park at around 8AM, I became aware of why Disney must have decided to go this route.

Now, instead of a swarm of people crowding the entrance gates and then running (or "fast walking") down Main St. to get to their first ride, we have the entirety of Main St. and Hub for the crowd to use. Some people stand in the middle to watch the show while others line up by the ropes. The park opens and people are walking. Or at least not mowing people over. The rides are so much closer now that you don't have to go down the Main St. funnel. It was so much less stressful and the crowd is dispersed sooner.

I love this change.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily mind the change from a logistics standpoint, but I do wish the new show was as magical and catchy as the old one. They could have done it up a lot nicer.

We just got back from a WDW trip in June, and I just wanted to point out that I believe the decision to do the opening show in front of the castle was a brilliant move. I understand the old show as fun, and there was a Family of the Day (and we were even FotD in 2006!), but as we entered the park at around 8AM, I became aware of why Disney must have decided to go this route.

Now, instead of a swarm of people crowding the entrance gates and then running (or "fast walking") down Main St. to get to their first ride, we have the entirety of Main St. and Hub for the crowd to use. Some people stand in the middle to watch the show while others line up by the ropes. The park opens and people are walking. Or at least not mowing people over. The rides are so much closer now that you don't have to go down the Main St. funnel. It was so much less stressful and the crowd is dispersed sooner.

I love this change.

I completely agree. The new morning show/access to Main Street arrangement along with the new security setup are single-handedly the best things to happen at the MK from a logistics perspective in my time of going to WDW. I'm a RD'er and used to dread the zoo waiting for me out front, would stress about getting out the door and on transportation in time, etc. Now it's mostly stress-free. Love, love, love it.

Last edited:

I think when I first took my kids, back in 1993, the opening show was at the end of Main Street. We stayed off-site and I remember seeing people already walking in the park. That was when I first heard of Extra Magic Hours and there were no value hotels at the time.

Are the stores open? I wonder if part of the decision was so those waiting can also be spending?
Yes.

But, once upon a time, the main street opened an hour before official opening. When the change was made to holding at the train station, people complained it was to save money, as the welcome show was cheaper than staffing main street (despite stores being open).

Who knows how much money they are making that first hour. But, I think the decision was entirely logistics and security. In 2013, we showed up at 8:50 and able to go right up to prime viewing places to see the Welcome show. But, last year, reports are that if you showed up at 8:50, you couldn't get any where near the tap styles, as rope drop got a lot more popular. With the far greater rope drop crowds, the train station welcome show wasn't viable any more.

I'm not a rope drop person because I've always hated the running of the bulls feel so it might actually make me head to the park for rope drop now. I'm always up anyway and I could get some shopping in.

I totally agree. I admit I liked the actual show better before, but it's so nice not to feel like I'm about to partake in the running of the bulls. I loved that my toddler could run around as he pleased before rope drop. Made for a much more pleasant experience.

I'm not a rope drop person because I've always hated the running of the bulls feel so it might actually make me head to the park for rope drop now. I'm always up anyway and I could get some shopping in.

We posted at the same time, but clearly we had similar feelings about old RD!

I don't necessarily mind the change from a logistics standpoint, but I do wish the new show was as magical and catchy as the old one. They could have done it up a lot nicer.
This.

They could have the Characters come down Main Street USA on the Omnibus with a FOD and end up at the Castle,etc.

"Let The Magic Begin" neeeds to be "plussed".:)

Good to hear that you had a positive experience, OP. I'm interested to see how it shakes out when I go back in Sept. I always rope drop every morning of my vacation so I will absolutely miss the Good Morning routine & railway opening ceremony. I'm not as impressed with the look of the new Castle show. It is the end of an era. However, in the scheme of things, entertainment takes a back seat.

The massing crowds out front of the parks had become alarming in light of recent international security issues and I certainly became concerned about standing in a mass of people pre-opening. I always had mixed feelings when the security dogs were walked through because it reminded me how serious the situation was. WDW had no choice but to change the rope drop set up. MK is the flagship park and has a high international profile. They can always give us better park opening entertainment. By putting the onus on security, we have a much better chance of a safe & secure vacation. Of all the things I ask WDW for, safety is number one on my list.

I could not hate the decision any more. Yes, it makes the morning a little easier for most people. But I will never get over losing this show. It was the perfect way to start a trip or any day at MK. I do like that guests can actually enjoy Main Street. The old show was so much better though, and there was so much more anticipation. If they really wanted to let people on MS earlier to help the crowds, I can understand that. But I think they could have kept the old welcome show and just made it earlier in the day for people who wanted to enjoy it. It's just not the same and it takes a lot away from the story of traveling to and entering the MK, and being greeted by the citizens of Main St. They might as well not even have the current show as far as I'm concerned.

I thankfully never once saw the original show, so I don't really have anything to miss. I don't think it's as "magical" anymore, but I do get the logistics of it.

My family is rope drop flunkies. We try everytime and we just can't manage. Only made it once and that's because I had a Keys tour... was still late and had to weave my way through the RD crowd to the tours and ADR entrance. My husband does not believe in being on time for anything!
One day I'll go solo and make a RD.

Here now. I personally think its the stupidest thing ever. Got there at 8 for 9 o clock opening. Only Starbucks was open. Couldn't even find a fountain diet coke...I thought the "point" was so people could eat and shop...was try pointless. I stood in line on left side of castle from 815 till 855 only to be trampled by people trying to,get to Mine Train ( guess that's not different then previously) just my opinion, I'm glad if its working out for others...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter