Moving Out!

JulielovesDisney

<font color=darkorchid>Hakuna Matata<br><marquee><
Hi all!

I'm moving into my first apartment on October 1st. My roommate and I are trying to think of things that we will need. We have the basics covered, like furniture and such. But does anyone have any advice on things to buy that turned out to be huge lifesavers? Things a more inexperienced person might not think of?

Thanks! :goodvibes

A shower curtain

I can't tell you how many times I have moved and forgot a shower curtain and its the first thing I miss having!

Kelly

Crockpot with a removable inner dish. Best investment I have ever made.

You can put dinner together in the morning and go to class or work and come home to dinner. Best part you only have 1 dish to wash.

Also with a few simple ingredients you can have several different meals. For example take a roast. Just 1 cut of meat. Now toss in a can of soup. Look at how many meals you get. I even toss in enchilada sauce and cook for 10 hours. When done toss meat with some cheese and olives in tortillas and you have some tasty grub.

A small bucket. Usually, most places are hard to clean without a bucket to splash water on shower walls, or to hold water for floor scrubbing,etc.

Toilet paper for move-in day. Make sure you have some.

Sharp knives, can opener, and a vacuum cleaner.

Yes. ^ haha

Also buy GOOD pans, my boyfriend and I would always want to make things, but our pans failed. Lol and we only had 2! So get more than 2. Also a toaster over is the best thing ever. It's like an.oven...but you don't need to wait 10 mins for it to heat up! I love it!

Scissors (man I never have enough of them around this house)

Trashcans (again, never enough)

Air freshener for the bathroom ;) (and I ditto the plunger recommendation lol)

Some paper plates, cups, utensils for the first few days when you are getting settled and unpacked.

Paper Towels!

strainer, both wet and dry measuring cups an measuring spoons
forgot to add spices... beyond the salt and pepper. example: onion powder, garlic powder etc
little sewing kit. screw drivers, hammer
Good luck, it's very exciting moving into a new apartment.

Oh, and a toolbox, including spare lightbulbs, and an assortment of nails and a hammer for picture hanging. :)

A plunger and light bulbs

A plunger absolutely! Because when you need one, is not the time to run to the store!!!!!!! :lmao:

A plunger was also my first thought of a likely to be missed but very much needed item.

A basic first aid kit with bandages, thermometer, basic medications, etc is also very good to have on hand.

And make sure smoke and carbon dioxide detectors have fresh batteries (and change them yearly) and are in working order. I also like to have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. I've never had to use it (knock on wood) but I like knowing it is there.

Get a small tool kit together:

Both a small and larger sized screwdrivers - phillips head and slotted (flat).
A hammer.
A tape measure.
Small boxes of screws and nails, in various sizes.
Needle nosed plyers and a standard set.
A roll of electrical tape, masking tape, and duct tape.
A small level.

Toilet brush

Edited to add:

Extention cords
Surge protectors

All apartment complexes are different with their rules for winter weather. With one of the places we had to shovel the porch area and the walkway down to the sidewalk, then the complex took care of the rest. Verify with your complex what you are resposible for. If you will have to shovel your walkway, then once the stores put them out, you will want to pick up a shovel and some salt to de-icing the porch and walkway.

A plunger was also my first thought of a likely to be missed but very much needed item.

A basic first aid kit with bandages, thermometer, basic medications, etc is also very good to have on hand.

And make sure smoke and carbon dioxide detectors have fresh batteries (and change them yearly) and are in working order. I also like to have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. I've never had to use it (knock on wood) but I like knowing it is there.

These were my first thoughts also

Good luck in your new place!

From personal experience I can say fire extinguisher. DH and I had moved into our home just a month earlier. He decides to make me a fancy meal that involved flambeeing. I can tell you from experience that as you watch the kitchen fan burn is not the time to realize that you don't own a fire extinguisher. (Fortunately it burned itself out quickly, but longest 10 seconds of my life.)

Thank you all for the suggestions! Some of these are huge helps. Especially the toilet paper. I honestly didn't even think of toilet paper. I had all other paper products on my list EXCEPT toilet paper!

A flashlight with rechargeable batteries that plugs into the wall. That way when the power goes out you'll always know (1) where it is; and (2) that it will work.

Along w/ everything else that has been mentioned -

Shelf Liner for the drawers & cabinets

Soap to have at the sinks

Dishwashing detergent

Box of Baking Powder for the refrigerator

Either ice cube trays if the refrigerator doesn't have an automatic ice maker or a bag of ice to use until the refrigerator has time to make fresh ice (if the electricity's been off)

A pretty wreath & welcome mat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter