Movies: digital copy, blu ray, DVD...so many choices!

Tuney

Mouseketeer
So many choices boys. I'm lost. I was at best buy today and there are tons of blu rays that are very cheap. DVDs are cheaper. Digital copies via iTunes is still high. So do I look at convenience of the digital media like I do with music. Do I go for best HD and surround quality? (blu ray). Or DVD--pretty good quality and cheaper lol. Aaaaah too much to choose!

What do you guys do? Let's discuss!

For us, it depends on the type of movie.

If it is a family movie, then we usually get the Blu-Ray+DVD+Digital Copy combo pack. That suits us for home (Blu-Ray), car (DVD), and mobile (Digital Copy).

If it is a movie for us adults (PG-13 or higher rated), I usually just stick with the Blu-Ray version.

I HATE watching a movie on DVD. I always try to watch a Blu-Ray, if possible. But that is because I have been bitten by the bug. If I didn't have a Blu-Ray player, I am sure the DVD version would be satisfactory. :)

I'll go for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy IF the Digital Copy is in a standard, standalone, playable format. For this reason, I pretty much refuse to buy Warner Brothers releases with Digital Copies. Their Digital Copy protection system is incredibly onerous, and involves a hybrid of a standalone file and streaming that can render it useless if you don't have a high-speed Internet connection available. I'll pay a few dollars extra for the included Digital Copy, but not more than $5 or so.

If need be, I can create my own digital copy from the DVD version, so Blu-Ray+DVD is my preferred default choice.

DVD + Handbrake = Unrestricted Digital Copy.

For me its usually Blue Ray/DVD combo pac. BlueRay for the house, DVD for the car. I won't pay extra just to get a digital copy.

I understand what everyone is saying. I like the fact of not having physical media all over the house, but, I feel I want the most highest of quality if I'm going to pay money for it. Plus what makes me lean toward physical media is that I can always resell it if I don't want it anymore. With digital copy, I won't have that freedom. Hmmm.....

We buy the Disney movies on BluRay / DVD / Digital copy (and even 3D BluRay - preparing for the future).

Anything else, I'll just get DVD or Single BluRay pack, as I won't watch them more then once or twice generally.

I like either DVD or Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs... like Ryan said, I won't pay extra for the digital copy, but if it is included in the combo, I'll take it. I've only actually used the digital copy once though. :confused3

My personal opinion of DVD vs. Blu-Ray is that it totally depends on the type of movie. If it is something that has impressive visuals or a lot of action (Inception, Transformers, etc), I like the Blu-Ray. For anything else, I'll just stick with DVD unless the Blu-Ray is only a couple of dollars more. In my opinion, there isn't that much difference between a Blu-Ray disc or a DVD played in the Blu-Ray player unless there's a lot going on visually. I definitely will not pay $5 more for the Blu-Ray of just a cartoon movie or a comedy or something like that. Not worth it, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter