Movie premieres onboard

TheMick424

DIS Veteran
How does DCL handle movie premieres onboard? Do they typically replace that night's show? The release date for Avengers: Infinity War is the day our cruise embarks, so I'm trying to figure out what might happen (and whether we want to make any adjustments to our dining plans).

For Wrinkle in Time they played it at midnight, so no change to existing dinner-time shows. Not sure what they do for embarkation day releases.

How does DCL handle movie premieres onboard? Do they typically replace that night's show? The release date for Avengers: Infinity War is the day our cruise embarks, so I'm trying to figure out what might happen (and whether we want to make any adjustments to our dining plans).
PremEARS at Sea are usually shown at midnight the day of release in the US. No effect on the regular nighttime shows. Then the movie will show for several days afterward (in both the Buena Vista Theater and the Walt Disney Theater). The shows in the WDT will usually be late (after the last production show), and in the BVT throughout the day.

maybe on longer cruises (7 nights and longer), though typically the premear is at midnight if it is a true premier (i.e. the movie premiers stateside on the 24th, they do midnight on the 23rd). some have documented earlier shows like a 10:00, but usually that is not the case. If it has already premiered, they may make it a show replacement during the week, and show it numerous times in the BV Theatre, with a matinee in the WDW theatre. Don't expect it to be shown a day early though -

Shmoo summed it up pretty well, but I will add that we embarked on a cruise the day AFTER a movie was released on the Magic last year (Beauty and the Beast) and they showed the movie in the Walt Disney theatre that night in lieu of a show (which should have been the welcome show). So at some point during your cruise, you may also have the movie replace a variety act. Since yours is the day you embark, though, it won't be available until midnight so you probably won't see it until later in your cruise (unless you want to go at midnight).

Agree with with others have said. It will have likely premiered for the cruise before you at midnight. So it will be in regular rotation for the movies. Since it's new, it will be a few times throughout the days. But it will also show at night at the same time as a Walt Disney Theater production. They won't replace a WDT production, but do have the option of it being during a variety show night in the WDT (if you're on a week long).

We will have the premier of Incredibles 2 on Castaway Cay day (last full day of cruise). Is it possible that they might do one day ahead since that is a day at sea?

We will have the premier of Incredibles 2 on Castaway Cay day (last full day of cruise). Is it possible that they might do one day ahead since that is a day at sea?
There's a slight possibility. But I wouldn't count on it. Especially since the release date isn't the debarkation day.

The past few PremEARS we have seen on the ships coincided with the movies being shown stateside the day before.
For example, Infinity Wars is due out on the 27th, but theaters shore side are selling tickets for the 26th starting for shows at 7:00 PM, 10:00 PM and midnight .
I am sailing on the Fantasy that week of release and would not be surprised if the movie was shown on the 26th in the late evening or 12:01 AM the day of release shore side. The CM's will not confirm or deny this question if you ask them...but again, the past few movies have followed whatever day shore side tickets are available. :)

I have to say I was disappointed this year, in that A Wrinkle in Time had premiered on the sailing before us, but was barely showing on our sailing. It showed the first night, in competition with the theatre show at 5:30pm and 7:30pm - not great if you have first seating, then the rest of the 3 showings were on port day mornings or Castaway Cay afternoon (2pm). I didn't pay a fortune for a cruise on DCL to miss my afternoon on Castaway Cay or my mornings in port. So, I guess it's the theatre at home for me... more likely Netflix eventually, as I was the only family member that really wanted to see it. I was hoping for at least one late night showing, so I was disappointed.

Are you on the 4/27 Dream? We are and I just spoke with someone at Disneycruise. The current showing is Thor, Coco, The Last Jedi, Black Panther, Wrinkle in Time. she noted they anticipate Infinity Wars premiering on the 27th but can't guarantee.

Are you on the 4/27 Dream? We are and I just spoke with someone at Disneycruise. The current showing is Thor, Coco, The Last Jedi, Black Panther, Wrinkle in Time. she noted they anticipate Infinity Wars premiering on the 27th but can't guarantee.
Yes :) Thanks for the info! I know that Infinity War was originally supposed to release in the U.S. on May 4th, but was moved up to April 27th. My son is a HUGE marvel fan, so I know he'll want to go if it is offered on the cruise.

We are on the 4/29 Disney Wonder. Just to be clear, Infinity War should be on our cruise because it premieres 4/27, right?

They aren’t always at midnight. I was on the Dream when Star Wars 8 came out and they replaced the show with the screening and had it at 7pm and 10pm. I saw it at 7 and was really happy since midnight is way too late for me to watch a movie

Hi, my family and i are boarding the Wonder on April 27th. I was told by DCL that the Avengers Infinty War will be premEARing on embarkation day, April 27th. She couldn't give me a specific time. My first thought is that they would show the movie instead of the evening Show, but since the movie is 2hrs and 40min long i don't see how that would be possible. Any thoughts on that?

Hi, my family and i are boarding the Wonder on April 27th. I was told by DCL that the Avengers Infinty War will be premEARing on embarkation day, April 27th. She couldn't give me a specific time. My first thought is that they would show the movie instead of the evening Show, but since the movie is 2hrs and 40min long i don't see how that would be possible. Any thoughts on that?

They have done it before. First show will probably be at 5. Second 8:30. Movies start on time not like your local movie theatre. If it’s not part of the main show that night probably be shown at 10:30.

Thanks. I hope so. That would be alot more enjoyable then having to stay up until midnight. We have dinner plans at Palo that night, the 27th, from 6pm-8pm. So we're ok catching the 2nd showing if it plays out that way. The only thing is that Pirate Night and fireworks is usual set for that first evening. (Its just a two night cruise. Fridat thorugh Sunday).

Thanks. I hope so. That would be alot more enjoyable then having to stay up until midnight. We have dinner plans at Palo that night, the 27th, from 6pm-8pm. So we're ok catching the 2nd showing if it plays out that way. The only thing is that Pirate Night and fireworks is usual set for that first evening. (Its just a two night cruise. Fridat thorugh Sunday).

I don’t see DCL having the movie playing as part of the main show on a 2 night cruise. It will show just not the main show. Just my guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter